Emre Can (59 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
No, it was obvious we needed to sell him once Sarri wrote him off. I'm talking about way before that, he should've started the season as a regular and then sell him if he underperforms. He was decent last season, even great at times and didn't get a chance for anything with Sarri. Excluded from CL, played 3 games in 6 months, ofc he wasn't going to play well.
Should have started the season based on what? An average season? You know, of the four Serie A games we lost last season he actually started three of them.

This season we started with a choice of Pjanic, Khedira, Matuidi, Bentancur, Rabiot, Ramsey and Can. That's too many CMs, and I don't think you need me to explain again why he was the obvious choice to sell. He wanted to leave and play elsewhere so let him, he's better in the Bundesliga where he can gallop through open field.

Buy on AliExpress.com

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Should have started the season based on what? An average season? You know, of the four Serie A games we lost last season he actually started three of them.

This season we started with a choice of Pjanic, Khedira, Matuidi, Bentancur, Rabiot, Ramsey and Can. That's too many CMs, and I don't think you need me to explain again why he was the obvious choice to sell. He wanted to leave and play elsewhere so let him, he's better in the Bundesliga where he can gallop through open field.
Yeah you actually have to explain why he was the obvious choice. Quality-wise he certainly wasn't and he only wanted to leave after being left out of the CL list.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I did already but you chose to ignore it. Are we talking about Emre Can here or somebody else? He's useful in the right team, but we don't play to any of his strengths.

You know it's getting desperate around here when this thread is getting necro-bumped.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
I did already but you chose to ignore it. Are we talking about Emre Can here or somebody else? He's useful in the right team, but we don't play to any of his strengths.

You know it's getting desperate around here when this thread is getting necro-bumped.
I didn't ignore anything. You said he had market value as opposed to Matuidi and wanted to leave. But he didn't want to leave before being left out and not given a chance.

He was useful last year. He's very useful to Dortmund this year. He was useful to Klopp who tried very hard to keep him and extend him. So....he doesn't seem to be the problem in this equation.

He's not a world beater by any chance, but for some reason people here just don't like him and pretend he's the worst. He's a good player and there's a crapload of players we needed to write off before him.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
And here is the problem - you're associating what Emre Can does playing for Dortmund, or playing for Klopp at Liverpool (he was ok there, always look clumsier than their other players) as being relevant to playing for Juventus. It's chalk and cheese.

You don't have to say he is either the greatest or the worst, but he wasn't suitable for us. Sarri made a technical choice, and the board made a financial one.

We haven't lost a great player, our midfield were roughly all the same quality, but Can was always going to be sold once he was unhappy. Wouldn't be Rabiot or Ramsey as they had just signed. Khedira is like the clap, you can't get rid of him, and he's always injured. Pjanic first choice player. Bentancur future of the midfield. Matuidi is the 6th man, older and has less sale value, happy to do his battling role. Emre Can as a 7th CM player is a €30m paper weight.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
And here is the problem - you're associating what Emre Can does playing for Dortmund, or playing for Klopp at Liverpool (he was ok there, always look clumsier than their other players) as being relevant to playing for Juventus. It's chalk and cheese.

You don't have to say he is either the greatest or the worst, but he wasn't suitable for us. Sarri made a technical choice, and the board made a financial one.

We haven't lost a great player, our midfield were roughly all the same quality, but Can was always going to be sold once he was unhappy. Wouldn't be Rabiot or Ramsey as they had just signed. Khedira is like the clap, you can't get rid of him, and he's always injured. Pjanic first choice player. Bentancur future of the midfield. Matuidi is the 6th man, older and has less sale value, happy to do his battling role. Emre Can as a 7th CM player is a €30m paper weight.
No, the problem was we wrote off a decent player before he played a single game, but keep playing worse ones who fit the 'system' even less than him.

We're talking about different points of the year. You're talking about how he became unhappy, was 7th choice and had to go. I'm saying it never should've gotten to that point because it's obvious looking at both his qualities and how he fits the 'system' that he was at worst the 3rd mid quality-wise. And I have to associate what he did at those other clubs because those clubs play even higher up the pitch than whatever Sarri is trying to do, more offensive, more physical etc. And he was/is playing well for them which debunks the 'unsuitable' myth.

If he had gotten a fair chance, at least 10-15 games on a regular basis and stunk then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But he was inexplicably shunned to the back of the pecking order, given 30-40 minutes every 2 weeks and then swept under the 'unhappy and had to sell' rug.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
OK, we should have kept a player the coach didn't think was the 6th best midfielder he had.

He looked like a steaming pile of shit in the minutes he played for Sarri. That's what playing for a top club is like, a cut-throat business. It's better choice for all parties that he left. That's football. Maybe Aaron Ramsey will end up having the same fate with his 'Italian adventure'. Maybe the following season we'll get into a bad spell and someone will come along and tell me we shouldn't have sold Ramsey because he was better than what we have.

Anyway, I think it's clear that you rate him more than I do, and probably more than many other people. Or it could just be revisionist clutching at straws and hindsight during a moment where we are struggling.

I don't think there is much more for me to add to the discussion. We have different opinions on what makes a Juventus player.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I must have missed when Can was a standout player for us. He did very well in a very niche role to cover RB under Allegri against Atletico. Other than that was very underwhelming.

You can choose to ignore the argument of the team's system all you want but Matuidi is of a very different skill set to Can. You don't have to rate either player to see it. For me and many others Can is badly suited as a mezzala or regista. This is the system we play. If we played 4-2-3-1, then he could probably have done a job for us. To suggest he or Bentancur play on the left weakens us further as neither are left footed. Neither are a Pogba or playing in a strong enough midfield to make it worthwhile.

As Jay pointed out, he was the most sellable of our dispensible midfielders.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
OK, we should have kept a player the coach didn't think was the 6th best midfielder he had.

He looked like a steaming pile of shit in the minutes he played for Sarri. That's what playing for a top club is like, a cut-throat business. It's better choice for all parties that he left. That's football. Maybe Aaron Ramsey will end up having the same fate with his 'Italian adventure'. Maybe the following season we'll get into a bad spell and someone will come along and tell me we shouldn't have sold Ramsey because he was better than what we have.

Anyway, I think it's clear that you rate him more than I do, and probably more than many other people. Or it could just be revisionist clutching at straws and hindsight during a moment where we are struggling.

I don't think there is much more for me to add to the discussion. We have different opinions on what makes a Juventus player.
You keep going on about totally different things than what I'm saying.

I didn't say we should've kept him after it was obvious he wasn't going to play and wanted to leave. I said it was a mistake it got to that point.

He played 279 minutes over 6 months. That's a laughable sample size. In more than 2000 minutes last year he showed he was a Juventus player material.

I don't rate him that much. He's a good player, even great compared to some who are still here. And that's the point - we forced out a player who's better than a lot of what we have left.

- - - Updated - - -

I must have missed when Can was a standout player for us. He did very well in a very niche role to cover RB under Allegri against Atletico. Other than that was very underwhelming.

You can choose to ignore the argument of the team's system all you want but Matuidi is of a very different skill set to Can. You don't have to rate either player to see it. For me and many others Can is badly suited as a mezzala or regista. This is the system we play. If we played 4-2-3-1, then he could probably have done a job for us. To suggest he or Bentancur play on the left weakens us further as neither are left footed. Neither are a Pogba or playing in a strong enough midfield to make it worthwhile.

As Jay pointed out, he was the most sellable of our dispensible midfielders.
I must have missed where anyone said he was standout.

I don't ignore the argument of team's system. I'm saying it's bullshit he doesn't fit this one when he fit two others that are similar and even more offensive, one of which he played as #8 too a lot. We played with mezzalas last year too and he was ok.

I don't disagree he was most sellable. But again, it never should've gotten to that point because we're desperate for any bit of quality in midfield and continue to employ worse players than Can.

Last edited:

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007

I didn't say we should've kept him after it was obvious he wasn't going to play and wanted to leave. I said it was a mistake it got to that point.

He played 279 minutes over 6 months. That's a laughable sample size. In more than 2000 minutes last year he showed he was a Juventus player material.

I don't rate him that much. He's a good player, even great compared to some who are still here. And that's the point - we forced out a player who's better than a lot of what we have left.
He was the worst of the lot, certainly worse than Khedira and Matuidi. Debatable between him and Rabiot. If you're saying it was a mistake it got to that point like getting him in the first place for free, I agree. Because I thought he was Liverpool's most dispensable mid at that time and wasn't going to raise the quality of Juve's mid.

Boksic

May 11, 2005

- - - Updated - - -

I must have missed where anyone said he was standout.

I don't ignore the argument of team's system. I'm saying it's bullshit he doesn't fit this one when he fit two others that are similar and even more offensive, one of which he played as #8 too a lot. We played with mezzalas last year too and he was ok.

I don't disagree he was most sellable. But again, it never should've gotten to that point because we're desperate for any bit of quality in midfield and continue to employ worse players than Can.
That's where we differ and why I don't think there is any point in discussing Can any further. To me he has not offered any quality in a midfield 3 at Juve. Even under Allegri.

You keep saying about offensive systems. I doesn't matter what he did in Liverpool's system, it isn't ours. They had Mane and Salah and a lot of width from their fullbacks. The whole way they play is very different to Juve. Their midfield had a different role in protecting the defense and little emphasis on being an attacking threat.

You clearly rate him far higher than I do and seems like you are set with your view of him no matter what others say. I think we can agree to disagree here.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Dat crying over Emre fucking Can. Man, how desperate people around here are.
a bit random. he was never going to be an important player for sarri anyway, and the fact that he wanted to include a release clause in his contract already meant that he never wanted to stay for too long. meh, just an other short chapter in the "failed juve midfield signings" book.

Jun 16, 2020
Selling this guy gave us the money to buy Kulusevski.

He was nothing special. Very good game vs Atlético in a role we never used again. He was frustrating me when he started complaining in the media because he couldn’t play CL this year. Yeah I understand it hurts but we’ve seen far greater players, who already had a history of winning with us, like Cuadrado and Lichtsteiner being left out of the CL squad and they didn’t say a word. And not to forget he was just another free player sitting on a very expensive contract, while having the characteristics that we don’t need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)