Edinson Cavani - ST - PSG (4 Viewers)

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Wait a minute... before Napoli he was 21 - 23, and he had to adjust to a new country, a new league, etc. Naturally, I'm not going to sit here and say that I watched a lot of Palermo matches back then (although I watched a few, when we were linked with Amauri; Cavani didn't really feature much in those)... and sure, he's likely not worth 40M to us, but c'mon now. You shouldn't be surprised that he wasn't scoring 20+ right out of the gate.

Let's put it this way: in his last two seasons at Palermo, the seasons where he was actually a focal point of the attack, he scored 13 and 14 league goals - at age 22-23 - which is more than our top scorer managed this past year - and then he was sold for 17M. So some people thought he was noteworthy.

It's very hard to argue against his production in both Italy and Europe over the past couple of seasons - it's outstanding. 49 goals in 68 league matches (.72 GPG). 66 in 94, including Coppa and Europe (.70GPG). Just for comparison sake, and not including assists - as we all know RvP has better technique and can create much more - RvP was 48 in 63 league matches (.76 GPG) and 59 in 80 overall (.74GPG). Robin is in the form of his career, Cavani is 3.5 years younger.

Sure, Cavani's played in a favorable system, no doubt about it, but there should be plenty of service for him at Juventus next year, were he to arrive. We also play an uptempo game that creates quite a few turnovers, he's very mobile, and he'll have quite a few chances - as we all know, based upon all our shots at goal, etc. Guy moves very well, has got great physicality, rarely misses action, and he does a ton of work for the team.

Cavani seems exactly like the type of player that Conte would be targeting. Of course, we won't get him, because Napoli can't afford to unload their 2 best players unless someone pays them an extortionate amount of money.
but you forgot to mention the fact that he played for palermo, which is a relegation fighting team, and napoli, which is a serie b title contender.

we are not talking about a player who dominated the league with a big club. players like higuain and dzeko have proven thier worth because they proven they are champions.

i would have no prrobelm with paying 40 million for cavani if say he was playing for bayern or man utd because it would prove that he is (likely) capable of handling big team pressure. but 40 million for a very overachieving napoli team is insane.

by the way his season at Palermo where he scored 13 and 14 goals mean nothing. look at matri consistently scoring for caliagri and look at him with juve.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Wait a minute... before Napoli he was 21 - 23, and he had to adjust to a new country, a new league, etc. Naturally, I'm not going to sit here and say that I watched a lot of Palermo matches back then (although I watched a few, when we were linked with Amauri; Cavani didn't really feature much in those)... and sure, he's likely not worth 40M to us, but c'mon now. You shouldn't be surprised that he wasn't scoring 20+ right out of the gate.

Let's put it this way: in his last two seasons at Palermo, the seasons where he was actually a focal point of the attack, he scored 13 and 14 league goals - at age 22-23 - which is more than our top scorer managed this past year - and then he was sold for 17M. So some people thought he was noteworthy.

It's very hard to argue against his production in both Italy and Europe over the past couple of seasons - it's outstanding. 49 goals in 68 league matches (.72 GPG). 66 in 94, including Coppa and Europe (.70GPG). Just for comparison sake, and not including assists - as we all know RvP has better technique and can create much more - RvP was 48 in 63 league matches (.76 GPG) and 59 in 80 overall (.74GPG). Robin is in the form of his career, Cavani is 3.5 years younger.

Sure, Cavani's played in a favorable system, no doubt about it, but there should be plenty of service for him at Juventus next year, were he to arrive. We also play an uptempo game that creates quite a few turnovers, he's very mobile, and he'll have quite a few chances - as we all know, based upon all our shots at goal, etc. Guy moves very well, has got great physicality, rarely misses action, and he does a ton of work for the team.

Cavani seems exactly like the type of player that Conte would be targeting. Of course, we won't get him, because Napoli can't afford to unload their 2 best players unless someone pays them an extortionate amount of money.
QFT :tup:

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
but you forgot to mention the fact that he played for palermo, which is a relegation fighting team, and napoli, which is a serie b title contender.

we are not talking about a player who dominated the league with a big club. players like higuain and dzeko have proven thier worth because they proven they are champions.

i would have no prrobelm with paying 40 million for cavani if say he was playing for bayern or man utd because it would prove that he is (likely) capable of handling big team pressure. but 40 million for a very overachieving napoli team is insane.

by the way his season at Palermo where he scored 13 and 14 goals mean nothing. look at matri consistently scoring for caliagri and look at him with juve.
:D

Well Leo, 40M is a ton of cash, I can't see us laying that out; if there's anyway this deal happens, based upon figures being reported etc., kind of have to figure we're sending them a player or two, but who knows. Doesn't seem likely either way.

The fact that Cavani hasn't felt the pressure of playing for a top club that's expected to win is true, but Uruguay is fantastic, and I would consider that situation to be pressure filled. Performing big in Europe is also another point in his favor, although I'm sure that doesn't satisfy you for that particular argument.

I don't want to depend on stats for every conversation, they definitely don't tell the whole story, but I think they're appropriate here. Matri didn't score more than 10 goals until he was 25 - which is how old Cavani is right now - and over the past 3 seasons he's scored 43 times in 87 league matches. That's a .49 GPG scoring average over his top 3 seasons of club football, from age 25 to now.

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
There is one problem. If we give them Gio and money. Lets say 25ml plus Gio. Where does that leave us in terms of a LW?
That's the problem in my opinion. In order to challenge for the CL and defend our Serie A title we need solid player rotation in every position and Giovinco would be a solid player for the forward position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)