Economics... (1 Viewer)

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Yeah, I didn't imply that. Just pointing out that there are a lot more important factors contributing to the fact that our medical expertise is the best it's ever been than a private pharmacuetical industry.

And you haven't answered my question.
Of course there are many factors. It's just that private enterprise is the most important one.

Which question?

- - - Updated - - -

If you think Economics is not a science, that's just your opinion and I don't really care.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What do you want me to say, man? I gave you two scientific proofs why you are wrong, yet you keep coming at me with the same drivel.
I'm telling you your model is wrong. The theory doesn't apply to what's going on in reality -- e.g., lack of any private investment in cures, lack of a system that encourages competition for lower cost products that do most of what the highest price models do -- and you keep spewing the theory.

In high-energy physics, this is known as the "assume a spherical chicken" joke.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Of course there are many factors. It's just that private enterprise is the most important one.

Which question?

- - - Updated - - -

If you think Economics is not a science, that's just your opinion and I don't really care.
How is private enterprise the most important one? State sponsored research has led to countless medical breakthroughs and is still hugely important in fundamental research (hope that's the proper English term).

And economics is a science, but not as far from a hard science as it can get. To talk about scientific proof in relation to economics is very very misleading, if not outright wrong, especially considering I'm not quite sure by what two pieces of "scientific proof" you're referring to here.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm telling you your model is wrong. The theory doesn't apply to what's going on in reality -- e.g., lack of any private investment in cures, lack of a system that encourages competition for lower cost products that do most of what the highest price models do -- and you keep spewing the theory.

Cow :p

And from my impression of economics as a whole, this is what the whole field suffers from most of all.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Economics is not an exact science. Econ 101. Besides you applied the simplest of all economical theories to your argument, that's not scientific proof.

That's fitting a theory to your argument. So you sound smarter, but you are yet to prove anything. You just talked a lot of fancy stuff about the free market.

Present the data to back your assumption that the market improves a healthcare system and that a private healthcare system is more efficient that a public.

And don't throw around the idea of the invisible hand. There's a reason it's invisible.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
Economics is not an exact science. Econ 101. Besides you applied the simplest of all economical theories to your argument, that's not scientific proof.

That's fitting a theory to your argument. So you sound smarter, but you are yet to prove anything. You just talked a lot of fancy stuff about the free market.

Present the data to back your assumption that the market improves a healthcare system and that a private healthcare system is more efficient that a public.

And don't throw around the idea of the invisible hand. There's a reason it's invisible.
If you think my proof is wrong, and therefore the entire mainstream Economics, since its based on the same line of logic, prove it.

- - - Updated - - -

Notice the contradiction: people say Economics is not a real science because it's not an exact science, meaning not mathematical enough. But when I give a proof with a just a little math in it, they dismiss it as an out of touch theoretical crap.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Actually in my circles at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, we used the chicken version. :D

Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.
It's because I've lived it it's true. I dare you: try to find one single medical device company that is, say, looking to introduced a low-cost model of MRI that does 90% of what the bleeding edge does. It doesn't exist because it never gets funded because there is never a market for it.

As for cures vs chronic conditions, I'm not going to be some Internet forum dork who wastes his time itemizing a bunch of medical journal URLs for articles you're never going to read. Either you believe that the world is warming or you don't at this point.

Maybe you find comfort in theory that any reality that challenges your confirmation bias seems to be a threat to be dismissed. Whatever your motivations, you might as well be telling me that dinosaurs were tricks placed in the ground by God 4000 years ago.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
If you think my proof is wrong, and therefore the entire mainstream Economics, since its based on the same line of logic, prove it.
What is this? I have to disprove something that does not exist? You've presented nothing but a simple theory. Where is the data that confirms your statements?

Man, you sound like a business-school kid who learned about equilibrium and applies that to every single idea of economics and every single political discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Notice the contradiction: people say Economics is not a real science because it's not an exact science, meaning not mathematical enough. But when I give a proof with a just a little math in it, they dismiss it as an out of touch theoretical crap.
Not mathematical enough? That has nothing to do with it. The biggest problems economics face a science is the foundation of which data is received as well as human behaviour.

1) Economist can't create experiments [very well]. Data is based on what ever the world happens to give.
2) Humans aren't as rational as the assumptions of which economics is build upon aka human behaviour is really hard to foresee.

Fuck it. I'm out. You give me stronk troll vibes.

Economists are as lucky as evolitionary biologists when it comes to data.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
What is this? I have to disprove something that does not exist? You've presented nothing but a simple theory. Where is the data that confirms your statements?
You didn't read or understand the discussion. I didn't prove that pharmaceutical companies invest in cures, which they do. It should be obvious to anyone who hasn't lived in a cave, but to prove it you need empirical evidence. What I did prove is that pharmaceutical companies have incentive to invest in cures.

- - - Updated - - -

Not mathematical enough? That has nothing to do with it. The biggest problems economics face a science is the foundation of which data is received as well as human behaviour.

1) Economist can't create experiments [very well]. Data is based on what ever the world happens to give.
2) Humans aren't as rational as the assumptions of which economics is build upon aka human behaviour is really hard to foresee.

Fuck it. I'm out. You give me stronk troll vibes.

Economists are as lucky as evolitionary biologists when it comes to data.
It's a good time to quit because that's the first correct statement you've made today.

- - - Updated - - -

It's because I've lived it it's true. I dare you: try to find one single medical device company that is, say, looking to introduced a low-cost model of MRI that does 90% of what the bleeding edge does. It doesn't exist because it never gets funded because there is never a market for it.
I've got no freakin idea what new models these companies are working on. What I know is that there are new models coming out all the time and when they do, the prices of the older ones go down.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #55
    What do you want me to say, man? I gave you two scientific proofs why you are wrong, yet you keep coming at me with the same drivel.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, it's been fun.

- - - Updated - - -

None of them are free. And as long as we are comparing the two, which country has patented more drugs in the last 50 years?
    Really? I suggest you look up Janssen pharmaceuticals..

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    The issue of patients not being paid is in any case secondary to the fact that no private healthcare scheme can credible claim to be able to cover the entirety of the population in any society that exists in reality.
    You're assuming that health care is a right rather than a privilege. If health care is a privilege then there is no need to cover the entirety of any population.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #58
    You're assuming that health care is a right rather than a privilege. If health care is a privilege then there is no need to cover the entirety of any population.
    Yeah, we've been at that stage for a while in Europe now. Since, what, Bismarck?

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I am saying people have a right to choose not to be insured and if a "sizable portion of the population" chooses not to be insured, than it's not a problem. And to answer your next question "What about those who can't afford an insurance?", nationalising the health industry is a very bad solution to this problem.
    Not having health insurance really sucks, even if you can pay the costs of your health care.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #60
    Not having health insurance really sucks, even if you can pay the costs of your health care.
    He also ignored that it's not a choice. People over 65 or cancer survivors simply wouldn't be able to get insurance. Dude doesn't know the first thing about how insurance companies work..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)