Dual Accounts (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by inferis ] ++
by revealing your ip... you are vulnerable to a lot of invasions....
Not if you're not an idiot.
++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
Martin I thought IP was everything.
It's not all that useful trying to sniff people out using solely their IPs, especially since every other person has a dynamic one.
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
Maybe Gray knows something that could be done
sorry boss, can't help ya.

Buy on AliExpress.com

inferis

Jun 5, 2005
well, even the smart ones get hacked... and i tell ya, most of the people are not that smart... it's just an advice.. i know you are smart... just ignore it.. the msg is intended to others, mr gray...

true.

i told them many times, they just wont listen to me. which made me think that playing along would be a good idea.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I never claimed to be smart, but considering how easy it is to guard your computer from most of the common kinds of attacks these days, one would have to be a fool to sustain damage to their machine

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Not if you're not an idiot.
That depends. Securing a home workstation computer is child's play. But if you're on a network where there's a server, that's more vulnerable. Cracking servers isn't all that difficult either (to my understanding at least), you just nmap to scan what ports are open, what services are running and what versions the daemons are, then apply exploits you know work for that specific version.

I never claimed to be smart, but considering how easy it is to guard your computer from most of the common kinds of attacks these days, one would have to be a fool to sustain damage to their machine
Or just careless. I actually got rooted last week because I didn't bother to think about security.

++ [ originally posted by inferis ] ++
well, even the smart ones get hacked... and i tell ya, most of the people are not that smart... it's just an advice.. i know you are smart... just ignore it.. the msg is intended to others, mr gray...

true.
Most people have no clue about these things, just like I don't know jack about how my cell phone works and how EM radiation may or may not be susceptible to eavesdropping, nor do I know what's in my drinking water.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
That depends. Securing a home workstation computer is child's play. But if you're on a network where there's a server, that's more vulnerable. Cracking servers isn't all that difficult either (to my understanding at least), you just nmap to scan what ports are open, what services are running and what versions the daemons are, then apply exploits you know work for that specific version.
Be that as it may, in the situation we're talking about (a home computer with no valuable information or reason to cause any damage to the system), I wouldn't say that security should be a major concern
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Or just careless. I actually got rooted last week because I didn't bother to think about security.
Truth be told I'm in the same boat. I do very little to secure my machine from outside 'attacks', even though I run an Apache server on my computer (amongst other things).

I guess I should have phrased it as "anybody who tries to protect their machine and fails is a fool"

Most people have no clue about these things, just like I don't know jack about how my cell phone works and how EM radiation may or may not be susceptible to eavesdropping, nor do I know what's in my drinking water. [/QUOTE]

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Truth be told I'm in the same boat. I do very little to secure my machine from outside 'attacks', even though I run an Apache server on my computer (amongst other things).
[/QUOTE]

Apache alone can't really hurt you. But if you have ssh running alongside it, that's far more vulnerable. When I got rooted, I blocked ssh altogether. But since I need remote access, I only allow public key logins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)