Dramatic finish to title races (1 Viewer)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
Dramatic finish to title races
Saturday, 21 June 2003
from uefa.com

After nine months and 370 matches, the destination of this season's Spanish title will be decided over 90 minutes on Sunday evening.

Do the math
The maths is easily done: if Real Madrid CF beat Athletic Club Bilbao at the Santiago Bernabéu, they will be champions for a 29th time. If they lose or draw, and Real Sociedad defeat Club Atlético de Madrid at the Anoeta, the Primera División trophy will make its third trip to San Sebastian.

Madrid lead
Arithmetic aside, however, it is a weekend of possibilities. Yes, Madrid have a two-point advantage. And granted, they were superb in winning 4-0 at Atlético last weekend. Yet it remains to be seen how the news of David Beckham's imminent arrival has affected the 2001 champions. And what of Athletic, who will do themselves, as well as their Basque neighbours Real, a favour by getting a result in the capital?

Athletic threat
Athletic are currently two points clear of FC Barcelona in the final UEFA Cup position, and they will want to keep it that way. Moreover, the match is former Madrid trainer Jupp Heynckes' last as Athletic coach, and follows the death this week of the club's president Javier Uria. Incentive enough.

Real dream
If winning trophies is regarded as a duty by Madrid fans, for their counterparts in San Sebastian it is a dream. Real's last championship was in 1982 (although they were cup winners five years later). Yet French coach Raynald Denoueix could end the trophy drought in his first season in Spain.

Demob happy
Unlike Athletic, Atlético have no reason for neighbourly feeling. And a possibly demob-happy team will face Real's best eleven after Nihat Kahveci, Darko Kovacevic and Francisco De Pedro recovered from knocks sustained in the 3-2 defeat at RC Celta de Vigo last week. Whether Real recover from the blow they suffered in Galicia, however, remains to be seen.

European aim
Elsewhere, outgoing champions Valencia CF visit Sevilla FC knowing that they will play in the UEFA Cup next term. No such luxury for FC Barcelona, whose hopes of European qualification depend on beating Celta at home and hoping for a Madrid win against Athletic. Difficult days indeed at Camp Nou. RC Deportivo La Coruna, who will finish third above Celta in fourth place, wind down their campaign at home against RCD Espanyol.

Fairytale win
It is not only in Spain that the title race is a close-run thing. After beating defending champions Brøndby IF with an injury-time goal on Wednesday, FC Københaven have a two-point lead in Denmark's Super League. They will preserve that advantage, and claim their third championship, by beating AGF Århus at home in Sunday's final round of matches.

Agonising defeat
How Brøndby react to Wednesday's agonising defeat is anyone's guess. But they still have a chance of a tenth title, and will overhaul FCK if they win at relegated Silkeborg IF and FCK draw or lose.

-------------------

What do you think/hope will happen?

In Spain I'm hoping that Bilbao can beat Real Madrid, while Sociedad beats Atletico Madrid. That would make Sociedad champions, while Barcelona wont reach the UEFA Cup.
It will probably go the other way, but I can dream can't I?

In Denmark FC Copenhagen will clinch the title. AGF have absolutely nothing to play for. Brøndby will beat Silkeborg, but it wont be enough for them.

Denmark have only one Champions League spot. The champions will have to go through two qualifying rounds, and I don't believe that Brøndby can do it, that's why I'm hoping FC Copenhagen wins the championship cuz then there will be a slight chance of a danish team in Champions League... maybe in the same group as Juventus??? That would be so cool! Juve haven't been here since the 80's... it's about freakin' time they come back!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)