Douglas Costa (48 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Show ponies give us hope
If he was playing like he did down the stretch last season, sure. I'd love to have him playing. But he's been utter garbage this year, and hardly deserves to step foot on the pitch.

And the excuses are hilarious. Everyone else in the side plays with the same teammates. Aside from that he was playing with Cancelo and Bentancur on his side through the beginning of the season and he still looked like garbage.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
If he was playing like he did down the stretch last season, sure. I'd love to have him playing. But he's been utter garbage this year, and hardly deserves to step foot on the pitch.

And the excuses are hilarious. Everyone else in the side plays with the same teammates. Aside from that he was playing with Cancelo and Bentancur on his side through the beginning of the season and he still looked like garbage.
You thought he was garbage today?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You thought he was garbage today?
I thought he was good in the middle part of the pitch and a big reason we created almost nothing in attack. He was lucky his blocked shot bounced to Kean, otherwise it was a wasted great chance to score, because he shot right at the defender. And let's not act like he didn't have the ball in attacking areas today. He constantly did, and did very little with it once there.

I want to see some end product, some good crosses, some good passes to break the defensive line. He had those things last year down the stretch, and was an assist machine. Needs to start doing that this year, or he's not even close to being a starter.

Last edited:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

Dude I was sarcastic

He was energetic today but in the end it didn't end in much end product.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Dude I was sarcastic

He was energetic today but in the end it didn't end in much end product.
Yeah. I thought this might be the case. :p

I'll drop this now anyways. Him and Pjanic are super disappointing for me this year, so far. And both being in top form would give us a much better shot in CL. So I'll hope for the best with the two of them recovering form down the stretch.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
How many layers of make up can fit on one single woman.
Come to Thailand and you shall find out :D

- - - Updated - - -

Not many want him sold. Mostly we want to play better and not look like shit in the final third.

He's easily been as bad as Pjanic this year, if not worse. So lol at you getting all self-righteous here. :lol3:
That's true, but perspective is important Brotato. How many minutes has Costa logged in this season compared to Mr. inconsistency? :p

Last edited:

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
Ya I completely agree. I don't really see this final 3rd stuff people complain about. Usually he just passes sideways in a safe manner, it's not like you see him shooting into the stands constantly. If anything he should probably shoot more.

But the ability to just carry the ball through the toughest part of the midfield is insane.
He is actually pretty good at picking the right pass. The only bad decision making I see from him, is that he tries to do everything himself, when we are behind, and in those cases it becomes to much and frustrating to look at. In those cases he does not have the patience and football IQ to pick the right moments.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Come to Thailand and you shall find out :D

- - - Updated - - -

That's true, but perspective is important Brotato. How many minutes has Costa logged in this season compared to Mr. inconsistency? :p
There’s a reason he hasn’t logged many minutes, dude. He spat in someone’s face and tried to attack the guy. And he’s contributed next to nothing in the final third all season. Only has himself to blame.

But all the same, I hope he gets lots of minutes with Mandzu out and finds his form. We need one of him and Berna to find top form for the stretch run. Bernie in his early season form when he connected so well with Ronaldo, or Costa in last seasons form. Both are Pass first, creative attackers which could be perfect for Ronaldo to start lighting it up even more so.

Jan 22, 2016
He was our best assist man last year despite playing less than so many players in the team.
And this year he has been unfortunate with injuries and suspension.
A fully recovered and on form Costa is our greatest assist man in the team and never should be dropped.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
He was our best assist man last year despite playing less than so many players in the team.
And this year he has been unfortunate with injuries and suspension.
A fully recovered and on form Costa is our greatest assist man in the team and never should be dropped.
Well he's played so little that his stats don't have a chance to normalize.

Using Transfermarkt data to eliminate variables:

Last year - 2912 minutes, 20 goals + assists = 145 mins every goal + assist

This year - 632 minutes , 2 assists = 316 mins every goal + assist.

But if for example he plays next match and has 2 goals + assists, suddenly his rate of contribution is almost the same. If the referee didn't take away his legal goal vs. Roma, the rates would almost be the same.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Not many want him sold.
Exhibit A:

We should start to consider selling Douglas?

He is not getting any minutes with CR7 on that flank, but he could be used to rotate with dybala on the other side?

He is too expensive and useful to be a CR7 bench, but at the same time his form is unrecognizable and he was kinda expensive.
Exhibit B:

if we want to stick with Dybala then hes expendable indeed. it will free up more playing time for Berna so another plus.
Exhibit C (tho he's not an Juventino but an infiltrator):

That's why i sad Juve should sell him immediately.
Exhibit D:

If Juve can sell him for more than 60 millions then yes.
Exhibit E:

If you think selling Cuads for 15 million is better than selling Costa for 60 im not sure I agree
Exhibit F: Any post by @DAiDEViL ITT

Exhibit G: Almost any post by @lgorTudor ITT

That's just from the last 4 or 5 pages. A lot of perversion going on ITT. Discuss.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Well he's played so little that his stats don't have a chance to normalize.

Using Transfermarkt data to eliminate variables:

Last year - 2912 minutes, 20 goals + assists = 145 mins every goal + assist

This year - 632 minutes , 2 assists = 316 mins every goal + assist.

But if for example he plays next match and has 2 goals + assists, suddenly his rate of contribution is almost the same. If the referee didn't take away his legal goal vs. Roma, the rates would almost be the same.
He has 0 assists according to Lega Serie A. Transfermarkt gives out assists for shots that create rebounds, penalties won, etc. Assists are only given by Lega Serie A for voluntary passes that result in a goal.

I think I'll take their definition and not transfermarkt.

SO, as a minor correction, this year Dougie C has 0 assists in 632 minutes.

And last season he had 6 goals - 13 assists in all comps. 1 of the transfermarkt Serie A assists didn't qualify as the standard for an assist.

Whoscored uses the Lega Serie A numbers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)