Douglas Costa (89 Viewers)

Sad Statue

wannabe Bart Simpson
Mar 28, 2006
I love Douglas as a player. As a creator he is immense, he constantly drives the game forward and puts in the box an insane amount of crosses.

However, while this was awesome for our setup last year, with Higgy as the striker and Mandzu as the LW, in the current configuration, with Dybala playing as a forward, I'd love to see him trying to finish a bit more by himself. He has a powerful left foot, if he learns to cut inside and try to finish, he will be a major and more unpredictable weapon for us.

juve103423

Mar 22, 2010
We just need Ronaldo in the box where he belongs, and play with 2 wingers. Costa, Cuadrado, Berna. Then Dybala and Mario can compete for the 2nd spot if we decide to go with 2 midfielders.

Sad Statue

wannabe Bart Simpson
Mar 28, 2006
I think that a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo on the left being right footed, Costa on the right being left footed, and Dybala being able to lead the line but also act as a false 9 and bring others into play could be really great if Costa learns how to be a threat.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I think that a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo on the left being right footed, Costa on the right being left footed, and Dybala being able to lead the line but also act as a false 9 and bring others into play could be really great if Costa learns how to be a threat.
I think we get more from Costa on the left (he has far more assists from this side). We also lose some width with him and Ronaldo cutting in, particularly if we have MDS down the left. If we can get those 3 to learn how to change positions throughout the match it could be an incredible front line.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Costas best production going back to Bayern has come on the right. The only time I want him on the left is when Sandro is out. We’re limiting him on the left.
According to Transfermarkt he had 9 goals and 21 assists on the left wing at Bayern in 54 games, and two goals/3 assists on the right in 15 games.

At Juve he has no goals/9 assists in 17 games on the left and 5 goals/5 assists on the right in 31 games.

Although this doesn't show the mins played/who the opposition were, he seems to do something on the left just about every second game and something on the right every third.

Good that he can be productive on both sides and can move him depending on the rest of the lineup.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
According to Transfermarkt he had 9 goals and 21 assists on the left wing at Bayern in 54 games, and two goals/3 assists on the right in 15 games.

At Juve he has no goals/9 assists in 17 games on the left and 5 goals/5 assists on the right in 31 games.

Although this doesn't show the mins played/who the opposition were, he seems to do something on the left just about every second game and something on the right every third.

Good that he can be productive on both sides and can move him depending on the rest of the lineup.
Does it tell as well how many games he played on the right and how many games he played on ghe left?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

:tup:

I been saying the same in this thread since the get go, he isnt a goalscoring winger, so as dynamic as it may seem for him to cut in with his left from right side, he isnt doing as much creative damage as he would on the left with these inwards shot like crosses (unless its Mandzukic camping the far back post). His amazing crossing is much more straight forward and effective from the left side, his creative form of around dozen assists for us early in the year were almost all from the left side. One of the few from the right I remember is driving all the way to right side of the goal, and then passing sideways to Khedira to tap in, its rare that his crosses were as effective from there as they were on the left. One low cross to Berna from the right too I recall, otherwise blank, compared to the many chances he created from left.

It makes more sense for someone like Bernardeschi to be a permanent fix for right side over the left side, he has a deadly accurate shot and has habit of making playmayking through balls or short passes to create, while Costa's type of cross only approach is much more effective left (since his shooting is so erratic that its not really a consistent weapon).

Go to 01:50 mark in this this, his crossing is lazer guided from the left:

- - - Updated - - -

Costas best production going back to Bayern has come on the right. The only time I want him on the left is when Sandro is out. We’re limiting him on the left.

I dont get this, you have seen all his games for Juve and you still say this? He makes majority of his deadly creating exactly from left, so how did it limit him? He isnt a goalscoring winger really, he is an unstoppable creative winger.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2007
:tup:

I been saying the same in this thread since the get go, he isnt a goalscoring winger, so as dynamic as it may seem for him to cut in with his left from right side, he isnt doing as much creative damage as he would on the left with these inwards shot like crosses (unless its Mandzukic camping the far back post). His amazing crossing is much more straight forward and effective from the left side, his creative form of around dozen assists for us early in the year were almost all from the left side. One of the few from the right I remember is driving all the way to right side of the goal, and then passing sideways to Khedira to tap in, its rare that his crosses were as effective from there as they were on the left. One low cross to Berna from the right too I recall, otherwise blank, compared to the many chances he created from left.

It makes more sense for someone like Bernardeschi to be a permanent fix for right side over the left side, he has a deadly accurate shot and has habit of making playmayking through balls or short passes to create, while Costa's type of cross only approach is much more effective left (since his shooting is so erratic that its not really a consistent weapon).

Go to 01:50 mark in this this, his crossing is lazer guided from the left:

- - - Updated - - -

I dont get this, you have seen all his games for Juve and you still say this? He makes majority of his deadly creating exactly from left, so how did it limit him? He isnt a goalscoring winger really, he is an unstoppable creative winger.
Do you think that he can operate on the left with Ronaldo? The answer is no so who is wthe best for the right?

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Costa is a lot better on the left. It was abundantly clear last season. He is not a consistent shot, his crossing is the best in the team from the left. On the right he is limited, only cutting in and wasting time to open up his left foot, on the left he is always much more creative.

Ronaldo coming is worst for him as obviously Ronaldo starts.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
If we want Costa to start then 442 is the way to go.

Costa on the left and Berna on the right.
Ronaldo and Dybala in a two striker formation.
But what we need is a midfielder who can compliment Pjanic, someone who has the energy to run for days but is also good on the ball.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Doesn't matter that DC is better on left because Ronaldo plays there.

He's still unplayable on the right and was devastating and unstoppable since Feb no matter which side he played on.

Short memory @ those who have any doubts about him being a starter and one of our key difference makers alongside Ronaldo and Cancelo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 84)