OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #101
    ++ [ originally posted by Edgar Davids ] ++

:LOL:

Marcos? Martyn?
    you know yourself Buffon is better than most of those keepers.
    they are better than buffon(well i don't really know about martyn now but he used to be one of the best)but they and certainly many others are better than buffon.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

I'll take that as a cue to step in...

It is not a difficult task o save a penalty physically. Almost any keeper with a decent amount of skill can save any penalty shot. The main difficultie come in concentration and mental toughness. Most keepers sit on their line and try to guess which side the shot will come. The good keepers try to outwitt the striker. I've seen guys stand straight up on the line with their hands at their side just to mess with the striker. Other guys stand at one post or the other until the striker is about to kick. I used to wave my arms like a bird and hop back and forth on the line, that really makes it hard to pick a target and hit it.
    ok, but can you tell your opinion about Saviola's goal?

]++ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    they are better than buffon(well i don't really know about martyn now but he used to be one of the best)but they and certainly many others are better than buffon.
    it'll be tough to convince you. though buffon is also one of the best and definitely better than Marcos.
    there aren't many others better than Buffon... he IS one of the bests

-Kinas-

Apr 13, 2003
    Buffon saved a superb free kick from signori recently..

what we need is a keeper that can save in occasions when the defenders cant do anything...

if a defender can stop it.. the keeper does not have to do anything..

so we have to see whether the defenders are actually helping the keeper out..

for that.. i'll say buffon one of the best in the world..

Pagliuca was one of the best last time..

Schmeichel was phenomenal..........

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #104
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

I used to wave my arms like a bird and hop back and forth on the line, that really makes it hard to pick a target and hit it.
    :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Sell Buffon?? Come on:

- he's been the least beaten keeper in Serie A for the past 2 seasons
    - he's the goaler with the best save/shots on goal average in the whole serie a
    - he had a shaky start last season, but since then he's been class and saved our asses in numerous occassions
    - do you want Van Der Saar back? Enough said

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Sell Buffon?? Come on:

- he's been the least beaten keeper in Serie A for the past 2 seasons
    - he's the goaler with the best save/shots on goal average in the whole serie a
    - he had a shaky start last season, but since then he's been class and saved our asses in numerous occassions
    - do you want Van Der Saar back? Enough said
    First of all, it's Van der Sar! Only 1 "a". Second, VDS was the best keeper in Serie A the two years before he was sold, and it's not a question of getting VDS back. This issue is that Buffon was bought for a ridiculous price, and that even if we sell him for less now, that we might really be gaining in terms of what players cost nowadays. Besides that, there are some keepers out there who are already as good as Buffon, or better and they are younger and cheaper. Just to name two: Saja and Stekelenburg...

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    I'm sure VDS must be very offended cos I wrote his name with an extra 'a' ;) And VDS was good for the first season cos in the 2nd he started with all those probs. Anyway who wouldn`t have been the least beaten keeper when you got the best defence in the league?

In 20 years time, Buffon will be remembered among the best keepers ever, along with Zoff and Yashin.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Warning to Zizou:
    Never say anything that isn't positive about VDS in front of Ian (Rickenbacker)!!
    he takes VDS issues personaly ;)

:D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Hehe really? Even when VDS kinda ruined our 2000 league campaign? ;) His mistakes against Lazio, Roma, etc still haunt me in my nightmares at night :D

Jul 12, 2002
    I'm sure VDS must be very offended cos I wrote his name with an extra 'a' ;) And VDS was good for the first season cos in the 2nd he started with all those probs. Anyway who wouldn`t have been the least beaten keeper when you got the best defence in the league?

In 20 years time, Buffon will be remembered among the best keepers ever, along with Zoff and Yashin.
    First of all, you make too many assumptions for me. Second, VDS was a great keeper and played well for Juve. His departure was more about having an italian keeper than his performances.

And saying that Buffon will be a legend is pure speculation. He certainly isn't performing at a legendary level currently.

Jul 12, 2002
    Hehe really? Even when VDS kinda ruined our 2000 league campaign? ;) His mistakes against Lazio, Roma, etc still haunt me in my nightmares at night :D
    I suppose that the team was not to blame at all, that when every other player on the team let down Juve at one time or another it was Edwin's fault too? That's ridiculous and I'm tired of VDS being the scapegoat for a disappointing season....

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    you tend to forget these things when you're his fan.:D
    I do not forget, I remember VDS as he was, imperfect, but a fine keeper who gave his all for Juve and was dumped unfairly and disrespectfully. Don't twist things...

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Seriously how can you not make a scapegoat out of a guy that let goals in that even a 6 year old would have stopped? I did defend him when he made 1 or 2 mistakes, but when his mistakes became a regular occurance, it was impossible to keep defending him.

I remember that before the Lazio-Juve match (in which VDS made one of his phenomenal blunders) Erikson had instructed his players to shoot towards the goal whenever they had a chance to take advantage of VDS. In fact one of the goals (Salas) originated from that.

VDS should be renamed HOS (Hands of Soap) :D

Buffon has already proved himself what a great keeper he is, in fact he's been decisive this year in numerous occasions.

Jul 12, 2002
    Seriously how can you not make a scapegoat out of a guy that let goals in that even a 6 year old would have stopped? I did defend him when he made 1 or 2 mistakes, but when his mistakes became a regular occurance, it was impossible to keep defending him.
    Have you ever played keeper? At a professional level? If not, then I don't think that you've got any idea how good those shots were or how easy they were to stop.

I remember that before the Lazio-Juve match (in which VDS made one of his phenomenal blunders) Erikson had instructed his players to shoot towards the goal whenever they had a chance to take advantage of VDS. In fact one of the goals (Salas) originated from that.
    Yes indeed I remember that game. And you would blame it all on Edwin, wouldn't you? You're just proving my point.

VDS should be renamed HOS (Hands of Soap) :D
    Brilliant...:groan:

Buffon has already proved himself what a great keeper he is, in fact he's been decisive this year in numerous occasions.
    Sure, I'll admit that Buffon has been a fine keeper, but he has not been worth his price. Also, Buffon is young, and he will eventually hit a rough patch. What will you say then?

bubba

Apr 6, 2003
    yo paranoia, did you happen to see the Barca match..buffon made a very fine save and some great catches that kept us in the match..

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Rickenbacker never in the life me, have I ever seen a keeper make so many mistakes in one season. For all the money he's paid he shouldn't make all those mistakes.

When Peruzzi was with Juve, I rarely saw him make a mistake, and I expect Buffon to fare the same way.

VDS was undefendable, and his mistakes cost us dearly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)