don't shoot me! (4 Viewers)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #81
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    I have to say I am very surprised Buffon is taking so much stick but everyone is entitled to their own opinions

I have noticed lately though its either Buffon is not athletic or his reactions are suspiciously slow as sometimes the balls that beat him seem to be going in slow motion

But name me a goal keeper who does not make errors. Khan, well how did Ronaldo open the scoring in the highest profiled match last year?

Friedel , well of cos he makes tons of errors but he plays for a low profile club so they are not highlighted and few ppl care

Rustu he dropped a clanger against England which almost resulted in a goal

Cassillas both goals against Ukraine we his fault

Ask Leeds if every single goal that Robinson has conceded this season has nothing to to do with the goall kee[per

Does this make the keepers bad , of cos not

Talking about world class saves , it depends on what you mean so keepers play to the cameras and make easy saves look spectacular while the really good ones are usually at the right place at the right time and some of these saves are underated becos they do not look that spectacular
    yes everyone makes the occaisional errors but buffon unlike the other keepers he doesn't make the saves neccesary to make up for them.

i've really been saying that comparing what he really is to what people make of him is like comparing barthez to kahn in terms of size.he is vastly overrated and does not deserve his reputation of being one of the best in the world.no world class keeper belonging to one of the best 5 in the world should have even one particular weakness,and buffon's flat-footedness is simply horrendous.

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++

yes everyone makes the occaisional errors but buffon unlike the other keepers he doesn't make the saves neccesary to make up for them.

i've really been saying that comparing what he really is to what people make of him is like comparing barthez to kahn in terms of size.he is vastly overrated and does not deserve his reputation of being one of the best in the world.no world class keeper belonging to one of the best 5 in the world should have even one particular weakness,and buffon's flat-footedness is simply horrendous.
    Point taken and you are probably right but please tell me who you place as the worlds best 5

I cannot specifically mention any world class saves while he was with Juve but his performances last season especially against Porto in Oporto were of the highest class

A world class save he made was on his debut for Italy against Russia where he came on for the keeper who i think was sent off and he made a miraculous save

His serieA debut against Milan was one of the best ever by a goal keeper but I do grant you that his flat footedness is a bother

I do not watch Kahn week in week out so I cannot tell u his weakness

Cassillas is suspect with crosses and he likes to parry the ball which he sometimes does to the opposition to tap in but they are all gr8 goalies

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    Hey Buffon Saved at least 2 penalties this season the one against Korea in WC and the One against Cheivo which means he is good at blocking penalties. and those two are called world class saves too.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #86
    :LOL:saving penalties is all about making guesses,i guess you could say he was good at playing guessing games;)

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #87
    Point taken and you are probably right but please tell me who you place as the worlds best 5

I cannot specifically mention any world class saves while he was with Juve but his performances last season especially against Porto in Oporto were of the highest class

A world class save he made was on his debut for Italy against Russia where he came on for the keeper who i think was sent off and he made a miraculous save

His serieA debut against Milan was one of the best ever by a goal keeper but I do grant you that his flat footedness is a bother

I do not watch Kahn week in week out so I cannot tell u his weakness

Cassillas is suspect with crosses and he likes to parry the ball which he sometimes does to the opposition to tap in but they are all gr8 goalies
    my top 5(in no particular order):
    kahn
    cassillas
    canizares
    barthez
    marcos/frey/martyn

€lke

Dec 22, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by JuVe!! ] ++
    Hey Buffon Saved at least 2 penalties this season the one against Korea in WC and the One against Cheivo which means he is good at blocking penalties. and those two are called world class saves too.
    He is :thumb: :D

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002

kahn
    cassillas
    canizares
    barthez
    marcos/frey/martyn
    Far from me to put a damper on your choices but this is my opinion on the ones you have picked above Buffon

Canizares is too flashy for me and I am not a huge fan of his, he might be good but he is not all that good imo

Cassillas , well he is excellent, makes some mistakes but overall he is superb

Kahn , I am not sure about this season as I have seen very little of him but he is probably the benchmark to which the current goal keepers are judged

Barthez fabulous shop stopper, the most skilful of all the goal keepers with his feet but one of the most unreliable keepers i have ever seen, talk about being erratic, his a mistake about to happen , I mean what was he thinking against Real Madrid when he touched the ball whilst outside the box and has made countless errors in his career

Marcos was good in the wc and I have not seen anything of him since apart from the game between Brazil and Portugal

Frey is alright has potential but he too has made loads of errors that I have seen

Martyn, I am presuming this is Nigel, well he is a sub at Leeds enuff said

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003

Barthez fabulous shop stopper, the most skilful of all the goal keepers with his feet but one of the most unreliable keepers i have ever seen, talk about being erratic, his a mistake about to happen , I mean what was he thinking against Real Madrid when he touched the ball whilst outside the box and has made countless errors in his career
    and what about the last one against newcastle??, a defender let the ball go to be kicked by barthez , and he did a sloppy shot that fell in newcastle´s striker, and he punished barthez for this, that was the second newcastle´s goal.

Jul 12, 2002
    Barthez fabulous shop stopper, the most skilful of all the goal keepers with his feet
    Surely you are basing this on frequency of use, not actually skill in doing so. Barthez loves to come out and use his feet, but he constitently loses the ball, makes bad passes, and clears out of bounds for no reason. If you want to see a keeper will real skills on the ball, you need look no further than Edwin Van der Sar. Jose Luis Chilavert is another good example, as is Hans Jorge Butt.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    :LOL:saving penalties is all about making guesses,i guess you could say he was good at playing guessing games;)
    it's doesn't depend only on guessing as you can guess right but you just can't block the ball.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002

kahn
    cassillas
    canizares
    barthez
    marcos/frey/martyn
    :LOL:

Marcos? Martyn?
    you know yourself Buffon is better than most of those keepers.

er.... yeah I could :groan: ;)
    no. it wasn't so easy believe me

and against Torino too. it was a great penalty save. there are pleny of world class saves buffon makes.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    how would you know? are you a professional keeper or something?
    I'll take that as a cue to step in...

It is not a difficult task o save a penalty physically. Almost any keeper with a decent amount of skill can save any penalty shot. The main difficultie come in concentration and mental toughness. Most keepers sit on their line and try to guess which side the shot will come. The good keepers try to outwitt the striker. I've seen guys stand straight up on the line with their hands at their side just to mess with the striker. Other guys stand at one post or the other until the striker is about to kick. I used to wave my arms like a bird and hop back and forth on the line, that really makes it hard to pick a target and hit it.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++
    I'll take that as a cue to step in...
    thought you would :D

incidentally, I use the 'mad bird' method too, works surprisingly well on some people, others just ignore me and blast it in the corner though

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

thought you would :D

incidentally, I use the 'mad bird' method too, works surprisingly well on some people, others just ignore me and blast it in the corner though
    Ah, see that's when actually being a professional keeper comes in real handy...:LOL:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)