Does anyone know where one can get Muslim food in Italy? (1 Viewer)

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
As far as I know, visiting or living in a foriegn country food restrictions are less stringent. Sometimes you have no choice but to eat food prepared the way it is in that country. But ofcourse Muslims should avoid pork and alcohol at all costs.

Am I right, Dharurat?
there is actually no such thing as "less stringent" when it comes to food... There is ALWAYS a choice.. these days, there are a lot of vegans out there, and they can look for food without that big a problem... if they need not compromise, muslims looking for "muslim-edible" food shouldn't either.. it's not that difficult... muslims actually have more food choices than vegans...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Dharurat ] ++

some people at first think that the word "kosher" and "halal" are the same, and interchangeable... in other words, if it "kosher" to the jews, then it is "halal" to muslims. This is not the real case.

it is theoretically true that muslims can eat food "prepared" by those of the "ahli kitab" (like aressandro and sally said)... ie. theorically muslims can eat meat prepared by jews and christians, BUT it depends on what your own countries' fatwa council decide on...

I do not know about other countries' religious council, but here in Malaysia, our own Malaysian National Council Of Fatwa has decided that there are no more Jews who still uphold their holy book (Taurah) in the world today. The Original Taurah have been altered. And as i'm a sunni follower here in malaysia, who abides by the fatwas set by my country, therefore by definition, "kosher" meat itself may actually be "haram" for me to consume... it is the same with meat prepared by christians... Since both christians and jews no longer uphold their respective holy books (according to muslim belief anyway), so food prepared by them is NOT halal to consume by muslims...

"kosher" and "halal" is NOT the same thing....

For meat to be "halal", it must be slaughtered by a "muslim" (seafood of course is halal since u need not slaughter your crab)... Other than that, the ingredients involved in preparation of the food must be halal... No alcohol, among other things....

My advice when you're in a foreign country? If you REALLY want to watch out for "halal" food, then ONLY eat at restaurants by muslims (moroccan, turkish etc)... or, survive on tuna sandwiches......

This is a small link representing malaysia's stand on "kosher" and "halal"
http://www.islam.gov.my/halal/halal028.html
Sorry Dharurat, but your fatwa's rulling contradicts the fact that a Muslim CAN marry Kitabiyah (Jew or Christian) even today. The Qura'an was sent to Mohammed (PBUH) long after the Jews have disobayed ..etc. These rulling were not made back when the Jews were the perfect practicing Jews thousands of years ago. The verse is clear and it allows it.

The thing is Graham, it's not about worrying about who "prepared" the food. Anyone can prepare the food. The importance is who "slaughtered" the food.
If a Muslim did it and followed all the slautering rules, then the meat is Halal.
If a Christian or Jew did it, then it's halal **IF**
(A) He did not say while slautering: "In the Name of Jesus" or any Christian prayer.
(B). He phyisically slaughtered it the islamic way. (some slaughter houses beat the animals or knock them out before they slaughter them and this is not permitted)
As you can probibly guess, when you're abroad, It is tough to know who slaughtered the animal and how, so i's better to look for labeled halal meat.

All the Australian, European and US companies who provide Islamic counrties with meat are in agreement with them to slaughter the Islamic way.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Thanks for the explanations guys :)

Just a question: If Muslims believe that Allah has created all animals, how can one of his creations be considered unclean to eat? Also, do Muslims believe that Adam (humans) was given dominion over all animals?
A1: Why can't it?
God created all animals: check.
God ordered us not to eat Pork!

A2: Yes, we humans were created superior to animals and other creatures, that's why we can use them(not all of them) for stuff like transportation, food, and wool, but we can't abuse them.

Aug 1, 2003
So majed we can actually eat food from Jews/Christians whom in our view have already disobeyed God but follows the slaughtering the Islamic way? Wow, that makes it a lot easier.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
So majed we can actually eat food from Jews/Christians whom in our view have already disobeyed God but follows the slaughtering the Islamic way? Wow, that makes it a lot easier.
yes.... AFAIK... :)

In SA, we import a lot of meat from New Zealand, Europe..etc. (from compaines that agree to slaughter the islamic way) and it's definately allowed as strict as SA rules are.

Aug 1, 2003
I thought it had something to do with pigs' nature. Aren't they kind of greedy and eat everything they come across... unlike other animals who are actually aware and cautious of what they eat.

I think.

Delle Alpi

Chemical Dean
May 26, 2009
Can a Muslim be a vegetarian?

The method of animal slaughter would make me a vegatarian.
I know Muslims that are vegetarian, and it has nothing to do with the way the animals are slaughtered.

P.S Slaughtering using a sharp knife on the kneck to cut the veins and the arteries have been shown to be less painful than stunning or any other method that are usually used around.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'd like to see this study, where being instantaneously knocked unconscious then killed is considered more painful than having your skin, flesh, sinew and arteries cut over several seconds until you bleed to death.

Sep 1, 2002
Having had, an albeit, brief look on the net, most of those I found claiming it is not more inhumane than stunning the animals are clerics and religious butchers. Scientific studies seem to suggest otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)