Do wireless routers work well? (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I will probably be getting a Linksys Wireless G Router, and I wonder if any of you have one and can tell me how well it works. I will hook up my Playstation 2 with it, but I also have to buy a Wireless G Game Adaptor, which costs $150. I'll be able to use my laptop anywhere in the house though. So is it all worth the money?

Buy on AliExpress.com

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I have a Linksys B router and I know mine works well. I don't get amazing speed on it (its rated at 1,049 kbps right now though which is about as fast as B can get compared with my hard wired computer which is at 2,331 kbps but I can usually only get 200-250 kbps downloading wirelessly). I have a small piece of property and my house is all one floor so I get perfect coverage everywhere I would need. It is actually too strong because I can drive around the block with my laptop and stay connected.

I recently bought an Apple Airport Express unit to use with my iPod/iTunes combo and that works great as well. Using iTunes, I can stream songs wireless from my desktop to my laptop and then stream them wirelessly to the Airport unit hooked up to the living room stereo and play my music there. It is pretty amazing actually

So yes, my wireless network is as good as I can imagine, although G would be a little better but I didn't feel the extra cost was justified for what I was going to be using it for. Still, I wouldn't say I couldn't live without my wireless network, it is just a nice thing.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I use a wireless 802.11G router to share my ADSL connection amongst 3 machines, and it works great. The signal range is about 100m, so unless you live in a mansion you shouldn't have any problems with signal strength or anything like that. I haven't experienced online gaming on the connection, since my computer connects to the router via cables rather than wireless, but my estimates tell me that you shouldn't have a problem with your PS2 (which sounds like an awesome setup to have btw :thumb:)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    Yeah, this all sounds good to me. I can't wait for my new equipment to arrive! :D

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    Well I got the system all hooked up, and it's simply amazing. My new laptop is connected anywhere around my house, even on my deck. The PS2 works great as well online. I love technology. :D

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    i dont know what wireless router my dad has (its linksys) but i have that game adapter, it used to work fairly well, but as of abotu a week ago it isnt working at all. it turns on but it doesnt receive a signal (its on the right channel an all that) when i try and connect to online servers

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Sir Sebastian ] ++
    i dont know what wireless router my dad has (its linksys) but i have that game adapter, it used to work fairly well, but as of abotu a week ago it isnt working at all. it turns on but it doesnt receive a signal (its on the right channel an all that) when i try and connect to online servers
    Hmmm, thats rather strange. Don't know whats the problem is there.

If you get that thing working again, and if you have PS2, buy the game Socom 2. Its an oustanding game to play online. :D

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    hm ok, so far i have madden 2004, nhl 2004, midnight club 2, tony hawk under ground, and nba 2003 that play online, all the sports arent enjoyable because i just get killed, except for nhl im alright at. the otherp roblem is the connection used to cut out, so id be like losing then disconnect (not on purpose) so people would hate me, but there wasnt anything i could do about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)