Divine-Likeness (1 Viewer)

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Upon investigating the question of whether God exists, Theists assert his existence, while athiests deny it and agnostics claim not to know the truth.
The problem we are about to discuss is addressed at the theists, namely Muslims and Christians.

Theists assert that knowledge of God is impossible, as the human mind is limited to the natural world, while God is super-natural and so all human beings cannot have any knowledge of God except through the revealed holy scriptures of the Quran and the compilations of the holy bible to Muslims and Christians respectively.
Moreover, Theists of each faith believe that the supposedly divinely inspired texts reflect the reality of the divine being, even though it is impossible to test and see if this hypothesis is true or false, as mentioned earlier, because God is transcendent, super natural and unthinkable.
And so this makes us inquire into the question:
Why choose Christianity and not Islam?(if you are a christian)
Why Choose Islam and not Christianity? (If you are a Muslim)

To make it clearer, why trust the bible to be reflective of the divine reality and not trust the Quran. Why not the opposite if you were a Muslim?
Why do you even trust any book that claims to have access to divine dogma over the other books even though you have no method to distinguish between false and true dogma.
What makes (other than habit) the Quran and Bible Divine-like books while the books of the early Greeks merely myths. What makes you hold the stories of David and Goliath to be true and the story of Hercules to be false?

and so our discourse here aims at defining a formula (criteria) by which one can distinguish divine-like books (and stories) From none-divine-like books (myths).

NB:This definition must be objectively applicable and evident as correct in all cases. Also, God's existence is already assumed however how he is like is not as it is the problem.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #6
    OK let me get you started. The divine-like books seem to have forecast some information about the future accurately. For example (my back ground is Islamic so some one else handle the christian parallels in the bible)Prophet Muhammad described how an embryo is formed into the females' womb step by step.
    How can he predict something like this when he is merely an illiterate nomad who knows nothing of science.
    In other words, Muslims tend to have pride in how the Quran is accurate in some scientific manners. I assume christian used to do the same.

now someone counter argue this proposition

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I think I understand your signature now.
    :lol2:

OK let me get you started. The divine-like books seem to have forecast some information about the future accurately. For example (my back ground is Islamic so some one else handle the christian parallels in the bible)Prophet Muhammad described how an embryo is formed into the females' womb step by step.
    How can he predict something like this when he is merely an illiterate nomad who knows nothing of science.
    In other words, Muslims tend to have pride in how the Quran is accurate in some scientific manners. I assume christian used to do the same.

You sure about that?

Jun 13, 2007

Let us first be clear and never make the fatal mistake of using pratical books such as the Holy Bible for speculative inquiries.

Dec 26, 2004
    Upon investigating the question of whether God exists, Theists assert his existence, while athiests deny it and agnostics claim not to know the truth.
    The problem we are about to discuss is addressed at the theists, namely Muslims and Christians.

Theists assert that knowledge of God is impossible, as the human mind is limited to the natural world, while God is super-natural and so all human beings cannot have any knowledge of God except through the revealed holy scriptures of the Quran and the compilations of the holy bible to Muslims and Christians respectively.
    Moreover, Theists of each faith believe that the supposedly divinely inspired texts reflect the reality of the divine being, even though it is impossible to test and see if this hypothesis is true or false, as mentioned earlier, because God is transcendent, super natural and unthinkable.
    And so this makes us inquire into the question:
    Why choose Christianity and not Islam?(if you are a christian)
    Why Choose Islam and not Christianity? (If you are a Muslim)

To make it clearer, why trust the bible to be reflective of the divine reality and not trust the Quran. Why not the opposite if you were a Muslim?
    Why do you even trust any book that claims to have access to divine dogma over the other books even though you have no method to distinguish between false and true dogma.
    What makes (other than habit) the Quran and Bible Divine-like books while the books of the early Greeks merely myths. What makes you hold the stories of David and Goliath to be true and the story of Hercules to be false?

and so our discourse here aims at defining a formula (criteria) by which one can distinguish divine-like books (and stories) From none-divine-like books (myths).

NB:This definition must be objectively applicable and evident as correct in all cases. Also, God's existence is already assumed however how he is like is not as it is the problem.
    How can illiterate Mohammed invent a false Divine book while he can't read or write?

OP
    Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #14
    Yes, this too is another good question. How can a man like this do all what he'd done?

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Maybe the Arabs already knew about it ? Or the Persians or whoever. Something that isn't written in any history book for all these centuries ?

OP
    Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #18
    Okay so here we have our first two criteria:
    1) The carrier of the messages' character.(jesus, mohammed etc.)
    2) The content of the divine like books in terms of accurateness of the natural world descriptions.

Nice?
    The goal here is for theists to give me these criteria because i cant help but add my ideas to it.. and i already did this before in a way.

OP
    Hist

Hist

Founder of Hism
    Jan 18, 2009
  • Thread Starter #20
    well its a demonstration of the problem and an attempt to solve it or at least know the extent we can go to.
    I am trying to put it in an objective form as much as i can... that way both theists and athiests would agree to what we establish step by step on firm grounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)