Diego Milito from Genoa (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Well, he seems to have quite a prolific scoring rate, even if it is largely based on the Serie B season. He might just end up being the next big thing. Its a gamble I wouldnt mind taking, given the plethora of talent already on our books. In addition, that would free up Zalayeta who has asked for a move (will miss him) and he could be used as a very important bargaining tool if we can use him as bait for Miguel from Benfica. Otherwise, we could sell him to a Spanish club and take another step towards nullifying the dosh spent on Patrick Vieira's purchase from Arsenal.

OP
Lippi.am

Lippi.am

Feb 18, 2004
  • Thread Starter #29
    Reports in Italy suggest that Juventus are closing in on the loan capture of Genoa striker Diego Milito.

The prolific Argentine was one of the Rossoblu’s star performers last term, as his goals helped fire the club back into Serie A.

However, his request for an extension to his current two-year deal was rejected and the club’s top flight status remains in doubt.

Genoa are awaiting the verdict into their alleged match-fixing trial, something which could take place later today.

That added doubt makes a move away even more tempting for Milito, especially to the champions of Italy.

It is expected that Bianconeri transfer guru Luciano Moggi will negotiate a deal to take the 26-year-old on an initial loan deal.

If both parties are happy this will then revert to a permanent £3m transfer.

The potential move must also place into doubt the Turin future of Marcelo Zalayeta.

The Uruguayan international struggled for first-team action last term and he has already seen Adrian Mutu jump ahead of him in the pecking order.

Jul 28, 2002
    If this happens, id give Micco and Zala to palermo for zaccardo and barzagli, sealing our defensive future.

Zac---Bar--Maisello--Chiellini

Immense.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
    Palermo won't give away two of their defenders for two attackers, since they already have Andrea Caracciolo. I would rather have Barzagli then Zaccardo anyway.

Jul 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Mr. Gol ] ++
    Palermo won't give away two of their defenders for two attackers, since they already have Andrea Caracciolo. I would rather have Barzagli then Zaccardo anyway.
    but micco and zala imo would walk straight into their team.

We could offer micco and someone else.

For me Zaccardo is the ideal man for right back, and barzagli the futurre CB for the club.

Much rather have them two than cassano.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    If Zalayeta is on his way out then Milito would be a good replacement but I get the feeling that Zala may be second-guessing himself with regards to a move away from Turin. He wants to leave so as to be able to play first team football but he doesn't want to say goodbye to Juve.

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
    damm this season we have so many options for the attack. del piero , ibra, treze, mutu, zalayeta, miccoli.. i hope thye all stay except miccoli we dont need new attackers and i really dont want zalayeta to go.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
    Jul 12, 2002
    Zalayeta is gone, you like it or not, he wants first team action and he deserves it, he will not stay to be a 5th striker.

And another thing... I read that someone post that the signing of Milito will put the place of Mutu on the team under a big question... WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? if, IF we get Milito its to fill the 5th striker position, in case that you don't know thats behind Ibra, Trez, Mutu and DP.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    I think Diego Milito would be a great signing as he is a good goalscorer and would be happy to sit on the bench.

He could also help bring his brother Gabriel (a very good young defender) to Juve.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    About Gabriel Militio...

I've been following Liverpool transfer target Gabriel Milito ever since the South American Under-20 Championships of January 1999 - and six-and-a-half years later I still can't make up my mind about him.

Real Zaragoza's Argentine defender - 25 in September - has undoubted class.

He reads the game well, possesses excellent timing in the tackle and can set attacks in motion with accurate passes. But the doubts remain.

He is not particularly quick, tall or strong. The lack of pace, height and power poses a serious question; is Milito that most dangerous of footballing animals, a centre-back who looks better than he is?

Clearly I am not alone with my doubts.

Two years ago Milito found himself in the middle of a tug of war of internal Real Madrid politics.

One faction wanted to sign him from Independiente, one faction was against. The latter won, and the deal fell through.

The blame was placed on a serious knee injury that Milito had suffered two years earlier.

It was an excuse. Milito had already shown that he had made a complete recovery with Independiente, and has continued to do so in Spain with Zaragoza.

Milito, then, is fit enough. But is he good enough to be called a genuinely world class defender?

Even his mentor, Argentina coach José Pekerman, seems not to be entirely sure. Pekerman groomed Milito through the youth ranks, and raved about the youngster as he made his way up.

When Pekerman became senior coach late last year it was assumed that Milito's international career would take off.

In fact he has been used sparingly. He featured when Argentina fielded reserve sides away to Bolivia and Ecuador, and had a shaky game when given a chance at home to Venezuela.

He hardly had a look in during the recent Confederations Cup even though the first choice duo of Coloccini and Heinze both had poor tournaments.

And when he has played he has frequently been brought off as Pekerman seeks to change the team's formation.

He is a long, long, way from making himself indispensable for Argentina. A successful move to the European champions would clearly help.

Definition time is approaching for Gabriel Milito. Raised on Hansen and Lawrenson, the Anfield crowd know how to spot a top-class defender.

If Milito can win them over then I'm prepared to bury my doubts.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4681893.stm

Mar 6, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by pecker ] ++
    Don't know him and don't know if Ive ever seen him. He's got a good record though but if possible I'd rather stick with Zalayeta.
    Same here, but Zalayeta seems to long for first-team football, so I wouldn't mind having Milito as a 5th striker instead of him, if that's the case..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)