Didier Drogba (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
Of course it's natural that they're centering their play around the key man, but I'm sick of Arsenal fans saying that they've got the best team in the world, because IMO the fact that they've got no depth in their squad prevents that from being so. Take away Henry and you've got an attractive team that can play well sometimes, definitely not a team that can go through a season undefeated
But that doesn't matter! Henry is on their team, so you have to evaluate the team with him in it. You can't say that they aren't the best team because they are not the best team without Henry. They don't have to be the best team without Henry, they have him!

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
But that doesn't matter! Henry is on their team, so you have to evaluate the team with him in it. You can't say that they aren't the best team because they are not the best team without Henry. They don't have to be the best team without Henry, they have him!
I get what you're saying, but I disagree that they don't have to be good without Henry, because he's not invincible. He'll get injured and possibly even exhausted, and then we'll see what kind of trouble Arsenal get into. I mean the fact that Henry doesn't seem to be able to perform in big matches alone has previously shown how easily Arsenal can be nullified without Henry at his best, let alone missing entirely

Jul 28, 2002
reyes has scored important goals for arsenal, so has pires and ljunberg, they make a huge contribution, they imo make up one of if no the best TEAM, as players who play as a team , together, it is surely them. Every position has class.

Depth can be found also, with great youngsters in clichy and taylor, but also aliadere.

We have loadsa depth, so do inter, Ac and other teams, but they are nots as good in terms of team play. Arsenal are the best.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
reyes has scored important goals for arsenal, so has pires and ljunberg, they make a huge contribution
I never denied that there's other players behind Arsenal's success, but it'd take a brave man to claim that Arsenal would still be able to produce the same kind of results if Henry were to get injured. Take Pires out too and you've got a team that passes well but largely fires blanks.

Pires, Ljungberg, Bergkamp and Reyes have scored 24 goals between them, which is less than what Henry scored on his own. Pires has scored 14 of those goals. As I said, the stats speak for themselves.

++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
Depth can be found also, with great youngsters in clichy and taylor, but also aliadere.
I define depth as when first team players can be substituted for benched players without any great bearing on the performance of the team. Clichy, Taylor and Aliadere may be promising players, but they're hardly the kind material to replace Arsenal's starting lineup

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

i agree with your post with a certain extent,but to me a good team is one which is able to cope with numerous injuries, a team which cannot do without a single player cannot be a truly top side.hence you must evaluate arsenal without henry in it as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)