Didier Drogba - ST - Galatasaray (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
No, but it is clear we need to rotate more and with Drogba, we can use him for SerieA and keep Llorente and/or Tevez for CL, I feel much more confident with Drogba in the team for a match against a SerieA team then with Quag or Vucinic, if used correct.
I don't think much of our bench players, clearly, but I really doubt that Mirko or Giovinco woud have struggled against the likes of Catania and co. Our rotation problem is on Conte, and if he thinks Drogba will solve that, then we have a much bigger problem.

Bartolo

May 18, 2014
And I've said for a long time that simply upgrading our bench would help us in Europe as it keeps our key players fit by not using them 3 days before against some fodder Serie A side.

So even if Drogba barely gets a game in the CL, he can start the games directly before a big CL match and finally we'll have our key players fit and rested.
this I agree with but first we should upgrade our wide options...

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
And I've said for a long time that simply upgrading our bench would help us in Europe as it keeps our key players fit by not using them 3 days before against some fodder Serie A side.

So even if Drogba barely gets a game in the CL, he can start the games directly before a big CL match and finally we'll have our key players fit and rested.
As if Conte would want his players not to be match fit. :lol:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yeah, I know that. I'm just saying I'd rather get a youngster who can challenge Llorente for a spot instead of Drogba who will end up leaving next year after collecting a check just for sitting on the bench. He's not fast anymore, we apparently need him for CL and our biggest setback is our lack of speed. Drogba won't be helping as far as that goes.
He is not fast, but he knows how to score, more than all of our current forwards. Tahts enought for me.

Dont get me wrong... i would prefer Inmobile over him...but it seems that he doesnt want to come and we are not willing to bring him. So if he doesnt come.. theres no other top quality young forward who is affordable for us. And others like gabia and Berardi are just promising, but thats it

I think that all of this is happening because Agnelli and Elkann have a clear plan of not overesènding until the new sponsorship deals kick in. As long as that doesnt happen, we will really not play in the mercato big leagues.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
As if Conte would want his players not to be match fit. :lol:
Of course he does. But the point is, our bench right now sucks. We have to play the likes of Vidal in almost every league game because the alternatives are so mediocre that they could throw away the league. So we end up playing our full team just days before a big CL game. Unlike the clubs we're trying to match and compete against. Bayern can literally rest everybody bar 2 players and still win the league game prior to the CL.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I highly doubt the two are connected. It's not a case of one or the other. I just hope that if Drogba comes and Sanchez doesn't, people don't flip and blame Drogba :lol:
People will flip because this team cries because of it's finances, but then goes on and make such poor investments to the squad.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
People will flip because this team cries because of it's finances, but then goes on and make such poor investments to the squad.
I'll be pissed off too if we don't sign a top Winger. But I am 100% certain that buying a bench striker doesn't affect the outcome on our search for a top Winger whether we land one or not.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I don't understand the fuss. Sure, he's 36 years old, but that doesn't mean he's forgotten how to play. And more importantly, if everyone knows Conte well enough, they know how he uses his subs. Largely in the last 15 minutes of the game. Shouldn't that negate Drogba's age to some extent? If he's just coming on to play 15-30 mins, will his age really be an issue? Coz I think his age won't matter in such a scenario, but his presence on the bench and on the pitch, most certainly will. He has the experience, he has the temperament, and most importantly he has the body to dominate in a slower league and bring another dimension in the last quarter of a champions league game.

Honestly, seeing how poor we are, when Beppe and Conte talk, I don't see any other way to bridge the gap with the big sides in the interim, while we get to the magical 300m turnover mark. I'd expect more deals like this along the way, especially in depth signings. What's more a signing like this also leaves room and money for a more important signing on the wing, which will be a starter position next year. I'm with e club and Conte on this move, if he approves.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
If people want us to get a great bench option upfront who's in the prime of their careers then such a move would come at the expense of a Winger and a formation change

So, yeah if we have to pick up free agents to replace Quags and Vucinic then so be it. As has been pointed out the sale money + wages for Quags and Vucinic more than covers for Drogba if we do indeed go down that route.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
At something stupid like 5M/season yes they are

But according to some source the figure 3.5M was mentioned. Quags and Vucinic combined earn more so no we could afford it quite easily when we clear some deadwood.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
So we are getting a player currently on 4m a season for free? Massive wages are not free!
Massive wages, no resale value doesnt look very smart financially. We really should have room for younger talent with potential to fill some of these places.
Young talent, big price.

Here is the deal. Wages are payed over a long duration. You dont have liquid money issues, cause of the low initial cost.

A transferfee, thats different. Thats much more money then the monthly turnover, and requires eighter a big pool of liquid cash, or another loan.

For this reason, Wages are offcourse a factor in the yearly turnover, but a different issue from a one time transferfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)