did del piero ACTUALLY fill baggio's shoes? (At Juve) (26 Viewers)

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
That's the wrong year, idiot. Zidane didn't win the Golden Ball in 98, Ronaldo did. Roberto Carlos came 2nd and Del Piero 3rd. Get your info right next time..

excuse me?
the european footballer of the year (balon d'or) for 1998 was ZINEDINE ZIDANE.
so get ur facts right next time, 'idiot'.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
I think the main thing here is most of the dp lovers are young (like you stuart ) they did not see baggio when he was the king of the show.

sutnevuJ

Aug 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
I think the main thing here is most of the dp lovers are young (like you stuart ) they did not see baggio when he was the king of the show.
:) Actually you would have to be pretty old to remember the last time he continuously put in preformances to rival those of baggio :)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Stuart, first of all, you're probably the only DP-lover whom I think is not biased and therefore I enjoy discussing with you.

I think you are making two wrong points. Baggio scored less than DP with Juve true. But if Baggio had scored more than DP than DP would have been really a poor forward considering he's been with the club 12 years and Baggio stayed 'only' 5 years. During those 5 years Baggio scored consistently around the 20 goal mark which is quite impressive for a forward and he would have probably continued doing the same and beaten the record hel by Boniperti long time ago.

Also the winning more trophies part is also not completely true cos Baggio did not have all the quality players around him to win the league like DP had.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Codino ] ++

excuse me?
the european footballer of the year (balon d'or) for 1998 was ZINEDINE ZIDANE.
so get ur facts right next time, 'idiot'.
Sorry, my mistake. I got mixed up with the World Player of the Year award. You're quite right my friend, my apologies.

16th isn't the highest DP got though. Infact he came 4th in 95 and 96.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002

Sorry, my mistake. I got mixed up with the World Player of the Year award. You're quite right my friend, my apologies.

16th isn't the highest DP got though. Infact he came 4th in 95 and 96.
thankyou. no problem lol.

yep, i know hes been higher. just saying that in his best year he got no personal achievment. which does not mean that we cant say he was a fine player, but without winning these awards, we cannot compare delpiero with other players such as baggio, platini and other winners.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Stuart, first of all, you're probably the only DP-lover whom I think is not biased and therefore I enjoy discussing with you.

I think you are making two wrong points. Baggio scored less than DP with Juve true. But if Baggio had scored more than DP than DP would have been really a poor forward considering he's been with the club 12 years and Baggio stayed 'only' 5 years. During those 5 years Baggio scored consistently around the 20 goal mark which is quite impressive for a forward and he would have probably continued doing the same and beaten the record hel by Boniperti long time ago.

Also the winning more trophies part is also not completely true cos Baggio did not have all the quality players around him to win the league like DP had.
You're definitely right, if both Baggio and Del Piero had played the same amount of time for Juve the former would have scored the most goals. Roby would definitely have won more than he did if he played with the crop of Juve players that DP played with, but, given Alessandro's success with the club I think that it is fair to say that he filled Baggio's shoes at the very least. I've already admitted that Roby was the better player on the whole but DP definitely comes close to him when you talk about their Juve careers.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002

You're definitely right, if both Baggio and Del Piero had played the same amount of time for Juve the former would have scored the most goals. Roby would definitely have won more than he did if he played with the crop of Juve players that DP played with, but, given Alessandro's success with the club I think that it is fair to say that he filled Baggio's shoes at the very least . I've already admitted that Roby was the better player on the whole but DP definitely comes close to him when you talk about their Juve careers.
i totally agree. i dont care if he had a better team. he was part of it. so that alone must merit for something.

delpiero has done his job for the club. i do believe he can be ovveratted at times. and even tho i beleive his time is up at the club, i think he can leave with his head held high.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002

You're definitely right, if both Baggio and Del Piero had played the same amount of time for Juve the former would have scored the most goals. Roby would definitely have won more than he did if he played with the crop of Juve players that DP played with, but, given Alessandro's success with the club I think that it is fair to say that he filled Baggio's shoes at the very least. I've already admitted that Roby was the better player on the whole but DP definitely comes close to him when you talk about their Juve careers.
agreed

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
For those who say dp is better ,tell me what is the one thing that makes dp better?

did he scored more goals answer is NO
did he win the golden ball answer is NO
is his form make him a starter in Juve and NT answer is NO

enough is said
I will be very surprised if you do not fall down more if your comments are anything to go by
So michael Owen who has won the golden ball is better than Adriano and Henry or Rooney?
As a Juve player, Dp is superior, as he has clearly done more and i am not just talking about the amount of scudetti he has won

As a Juventus player he has more than adequately filled Baggio's shoes and surpassed it , the simple reason you have to look towards is apart from die hards, do Juve fans miss Baggio?
Do they still sing his name on the stands?
But for the national team, Dp has not come close, hence ppl are still talking about Baggio

I am reading that in Juve success, others contributed like Zidane, Nedved and Buffon , yes this is true, but I am also reading that Baggio toook Juve to second completeltly discounting the sacrifices of players like Casiraghi, Ravanelli, Vialli whom Trapatoni completely sacrificed their talents in other to promote Baggio's just like he did with Totti later

Baggio did not play that long with Zavarov , Alenikov and Barros and yes at the time he was king of Turin and I do agree with the notion without him we were quite terrible .

Who is to say Baggio would have been as influential if he had better players around him, after all at Milan and Inter he was dropped and how would he have co existed with the likes of Zz and Nedved?

Baggio was a fantastic player, one of the best of his generation of Italian players if not the best but I do not think he had a season quite like Dp had in 97/98 and no matter what Dp does later , I will always remember him for that as he was on a par with Ronaldo , when Ronaldo was at his best, was more influential than Zidane in the same team and thats why i get disgusted when he is being dissed by Johnny come latelies.
As a Juventus player, he has few peers

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
I will be very surprised if you do not fall down more if your comments are anything to go by
So michael Owen who has won the golden ball is better than Adriano and Henry or Rooney?
As a Juve player, Dp is superior, as he has clearly done more and i am not just talking about the amount of scudetti he has won

As a Juventus player he has more than adequately filled Baggio's shoes and surpassed it , the simple reason you have to look towards is apart from die hards, do Juve fans miss Baggio?
But for the national team, Dp has not come close, hence ppl are still talking about Baggio

I am reading that in Juve success, others contributed like Zidane, Nedved and Buffon , yes this is true, but I am also reading that Baggio toook Juve to second completeltly discounting the sacrifices of players like Casiraghi, Ravanelli, Vialli whom Trapatoni completely sacrificed their talents in other to promote Baggio's just like he did with Totti later

Baggio did not play that long with Zavarov , Alenikov and Barros and yes at the time he was king of Turin and I do agree with the notion without him we were quite terrible .

Who is to say Baggio would have been as influential if he had better players around him, after all at Milan and Inter he was dropped and how would he have co existed with the likes of Zz and Nedved?

Baggio was a fantastic player, one of the best of his generation of Italian players if not the best but I do not think he had a season quite like Dp had in 97/98 and no matter what Dp does later , I will always remember him for that as he was on a par with Ronaldo , when Ronaldo was at his best, was more influential than Zidane in the same team and thats why i get disgusted when he is being dissed by Johnny come latelies.
Word :thumb:

Jan 7, 2004

end of discussion

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
when did he won it ? :D

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
ARE you asking when Owen won European footballer of the year?
I do not know what always attracts you to a Dp conversation when you do not like the guy so i am not that interested in having this conversation with you as there is no objectivity in matters concerning him.

You have written on this thread that Dp supporters do not know anything about Juve pre Dp. Would you like to tell us what exactly you know about Juventus pre Dp?

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
well on the matter of alex v baggio ... i dont think that alex ever did fill roberto's shoes... and its due to one simple fact " injury"

The injury that caught alex took a great deal from the captain and he couldn't bounce back from it( except for a few games evrey season). Thats his influence on the actual game.But i think his influence on the players mentality has been great.As all the players(young or old) think of the captain as an idol, they like him and they listen to him. So his leadership abilities on the field and out of the field is undoubted.He is a great leader for this juvee side.
i hope this season is the season where alex would show everyone wat can he do on the field and not only to the mentality of the players.

As for baggio he isnt only a legend here in juve but he is legend for italy which alex isnt. Baggio had the same or mybe even more injuries than alex but still showed he is an a class of his own by playing with the azzuri and showing the world his worth( in WC 98). Then at his latter age he still put on the great performances for Brescia and saved them from regulation i dont know how many seasons.But that brescia team with baggio played beautiful football and baggio still scored some great goal aand some great performances.

i think baggio didnt succeeed as a leader off the field thats why juve decided to let him go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)