DiCanio to Celtic (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Rumours are circulating in Glasgow that the mighty Paulo is heading back to paradise.
Apparently West Ham gave him permission last week to talk business with a Scottish club.....with the clever money on Celtic.

Time to get those old posters up on the wall again.
All we need now is Big Pierre:cheesy:

Buy on AliExpress.com

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Here in Italy ther's rumors about him going back to Lazio :confused:

One thing is sure: he broke up with West Ham!

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Don't worry.

His agent said that he wanted to stay in London or move back to Glasgow. As soon as Celtic said "not interested" his agent denied making any statement whatsover but teaming up with Harry Redknapp at Portsmouth sounded interesting.

The Great DiCanio is just sounding out the market to see who's got the money to pay for his retirement mansion in sunny Italy.(Not that he needs the dosh):D

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #5
    In fact the latest from the BBC:-

Redknapp: I want Di Canio

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has admitted he wants to sign West Ham's Paulo di Canio - if he can afford him.
    Di Canio's current deal with the Hammers ends this summer.

And the London club are unable to offer him a new deal until the possibility of relegation from the Premiership has been averted.

Portsmouth look to be heading in the opposite direction, with Redknapp's men currently leading Division One.

"He's one of the finest footballers I've ever seen. He's an absolute genius. He makes 60 to 70% of your goals in a season," Redknapp told BBC Radio Solent.

"I would love to sign him again if he leaves West Ham in the summer and becomes a free agent," added Redknapp, who signed di Canio for West Ham from Sheffield Wednesday.

Di Canio will be 35 in July, but Redknapp added: "He has looked after himself superbly and has a good few years left in him yet."

Raising the money to attract the Italian could be a problem for Portsmouth, however, and Redknapp admitted: "Paolo's wages could be a big obstacle.

Feature: Di Canio's debt to West Ham

"I can't see us paying more than £10,000 a week next season.

"If West Ham decide not to keep him we would be interested but I doubt very much whether we can get near to affording him," said Redknapp.

Di Canio insisted at the weekend that West Ham had already decided to let him go in the summer.

Meanwhile, Celtic have strenuously refuted any suggestion they have made a bid for Di Canio.

That followed a claim by Upton Park managing director Paul Aldridge that the Hammers had given permission for the player to speak to "a Scottish club".

The player's agent Matteo Roggi added: "The only club Paolo would move to in Scotland would be Celtic because there are only them and Rangers who could afford him - and he would never go to Rangers.

"It is the same in Italy where the only club he would go to is AC Milan.

"But Celtic have not made any move at all for Paolo.

"We have had no approach from any other club although it is a bit early at the moment."

A Parkhead spokesman said: "Rumours regarding Paolo di Canio's potential return to Celtic are completely without foundation."

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
    Here in Italy ther's rumors about him going back to Lazio :confused:

One thing is sure: he broke up with West Ham!
    All Roeder's fault methinks. It now looks like sacking Redknapp was a wee biteen of a gargantuan blunder. :nasty: Brown out, as the fans are saying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)