Degree/Career catch up (1 Viewer)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Posted about this in the past, I know a few of us were supposed to be graduating 2012/2013. Wondering how everyone got/is getting on?

I got a distinction or my MA thesis on the occupy protest movement but ended up with 68 overall so a pass for my MA overall, working for a school in the marketing dept. I operate three website for them, social media, digital marketing and been given the project of project managing the build o their new website with a sizeable budget. Not my dream career but its amazing experience for a graduate with a great salary and benefits.

How is everyone else getting on?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That sounds nice, Jasp.

I have 4 exams till I graduate and become an economist. So I expect it to be done in July or latest in September.

MA sounds tempting but considering how I don't want my parents to finance it and how I won't find a job as soon as I finish, that idea is fading away (sadly). So basically I have no idea what will I do come October.

OP
Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #3
    That sounds nice, Jasp.

I have 4 exams till I graduate and become an economist. So I expect it to be done in July or latest in September.

MA sounds tempting but considering how I don't want my parents to finance it and how I won't find a job as soon as I finish, that idea is fading away (sadly). So basically I have no idea what will I do come October.
    considered working for a while and traveling? it whats i did after my BA and it was a rad time met loads of cool people working and even more travelling

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    We spoke of this before, briefly. I'm still doing work on my MA, currently in my two final required classes. After that I will only have my thesis to work on.

Hoping to get a couple of publications going in the next few months.

That sounds nice, Jasp.

That's so soon! Excellent news :)

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #5
    We spoke of this before, briefly. I'm still doing work on my MA, currently in my two final required classes. After that I will only have my thesis to work on.

Hoping to get a couple of publications going in the next few months.

That's so soon! Excellent news :)
    This is not for my benefit ;) its for discussion between all of us to celebrate eachothers achievements . Publications = journals or private published publications?

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
    Wow, thats great. I still have access to most academic publication houses so i'll check them out if you get published. :tup:
    I hope it's great :) I'm just waiting on my co-author to get on the ball. They will be in French, but I'd still be honoured to have someone click on them.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    Sounds cool everyone :tup:

I'm not as far as you guys, but my Bachelor project passed and I got an alright mark for it. Got two more courses on this semester, come May I should be a Humanistics Bachelor.

Starting my Masters in History come September, haven't chosen my subject yet, but the area will definitely be Palestine / Israel. But I'm tracking down the key guy on the Israel/Palestine subject in Denmark to be my mentor during my Masters degree - so that's quite positive.

Starting my first job which will have any effect on my career, will most likely work at a newly opened Museum. Don't know if I will be doing tours or what I'll be doing, but if we perform well over there as a team, it will look great on the resume to be there at the start of a project and carry it out successfully.

After my Masters I'm going to China to live in a Shaolin Monastery, learning Chinese, Buddhist theory and Kung Fu itself - so that'll be a good experience too :tup:

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #10
    Sounds cool everyone :tup:

I'm not as far as you guys, but my Bachelor project passed and I got an alright mark for it. Got two more courses on this semester, come May I should be a Humanistics Bachelor.

Starting my Masters in History come September, haven't chosen my subject yet, but the area will definitely be Palestine / Israel. But I'm tracking down the key guy on the Israel/Palestine subject in Denmark to be my mentor during my Masters degree - so that's quite positive.

Starting my first job which will have any effect on my career, will most likely work at a newly opened Museum. Don't know if I will be doing tours or what I'll be doing, but if we perform well over there as a team, it will look great on the resume to be there at the start of a project and carry it out successfully.

After my Masters I'm going to China to live in a Shaolin Monastery, learning Chinese, Buddhist theory and Kung Fu itself - so that'll be a good experience too :tup:
    China is a fucking cool country man, i spent a month there when i was traveling. Any idea where you want to go? I'd love to go back or a sustained period. The cultural differences are big but i adjusted quickly, i am sure you will too. Hit me up if you want any tips on cool places to check out. :tup:

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    China is a fucking cool country man, i spent a month there when i was traveling. Any idea where you want to go? I'd love to go back or a sustained period. The cultural differences are big but i adjusted quickly, i am sure you will too. Hit me up if you want any tips on cool places to check out. :tup:
    The monastery that I'm going to is located in the Gaungdong Province, 50km from Xinyi City. There is a bunch of historical sceneries that I need to see in the viscinity. After the Monastery I'm planning to go to Beijing, spend a few weeks there and then go all the way to Skt. Petersburg by train.

That's all very loosely planned though, but the prospect sounds fascinating to me.

OP
    Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #12
    The monastery that I'm going to is located in the Gaungdong Province, 50km from Xinyi City. There is a bunch of historical sceneries that I need to see in the viscinity. After the Monastery I'm planning to go to Beijing, spend a few weeks there and then go all the way to Skt. Petersburg by train.

That's all very loosely planned though, but the prospect sounds fascinating to me.
    I realy wanted to do the trans siberian, but i had more money than i expected to decided on a different route. I'dl love to see mongola, it stop twice there iirc,

I didn't get to guandong province. I did Yunan, Chongqing, Szechuan, Xian, Beijing and Shanghai. Beijing is a cool city. The great wall is......phenomenal. Of all the things i saw travelling, that was no 1....by miles. I was up on a clear day and all you could see for miles was mountinas and the wall snaking in the distance, fucking beauty in its essence. argh, im jealous man, you'll love it.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    You're making me buzzing with excitement :D .

I can't wait, both from the social perspective of figuring out how to act and experience a new culture, from the historical perspective of seing some of the pillars of civilization and from the kick-ass perspective of becoming a certified Shaolin Kung-Fu face-melter :weee:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    I should have been graduating this year, but I decided on a major too late, so I will be spending an extra year. Still, 5 years for 2 degrees isn't too bad I think. Economics and BMF (Business, Management, Finance).

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Starting 2nd year of 3 year commerce degree in March. Accounting major and co-major in finance. I failed 2 units in each of the first two semesters, don't think it will have any effect on getting employed but it's a pain to do them again and put off 2 subjects. That means I have to do either an extra semester of 2 units or do them in summer/winter term which I probably will if they're available. I've done fairly well otherwise (so far).

- - - Updated - - -

Any CFAs in the house?
    Not yet ;) CPA or CA though :xfinger:

Wahdan

Ace of Spades
    Mar 14, 2009
    Great. I majored in accounting too and graduated last June, didn't work in the accounting field though. I'm currently working in Mergers & Acquisitions at KPMG and preparing for the CFA level 1 exam in June :scared:

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Good luck man :)

I'm not really sure if I'll do that at the moment, as I might go into finance. It'll be a while before I decide... though I am doing an extra compulsory subject this coming semester called 'careers in the curriculum' so that may help me decide.

Wahdan

Ace of Spades
    Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah, take your time, nothing is fixed. I was convinced I will be an auditor when I was in university, but I changed my mind as soon as I started studying CPA..didn't like the field, so repetitive and dull. So, I went for CFA, as it isn't too specific.

My dream goal, though, after the 3 levels of CFA is MBA in Bocconi, Milan. A year of MBA + Juve season ticket...that's the dream :touched:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)