Daniele Rugani (81 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
People worried about him going elsewhere because that's what people on Tuz do. His minutes have been going up every season.

He played 1490 minutes in season 1.

He played 1560 minutes in season 2. (missed the last month with knee injury)

He has played 1415 minutes this year. 2.5 months left in the season. He's likely to play close to 2000 minutes this season barring injury. He's our 3rd choice CB now when we play a 4 man backline, as Barza plays mostly RB now, or in back 3.

He's definitely shown improvement, and is earning more minutes because of this. he's going nowhere. Of course as a 21-23 year old at one of the biggest clubs in the world, with some of the best CBs in the game, he's going to have to fight for minutes. He seems perfectly willing to do so, and shall continue to see his minutes go up if he continues to play well.
If every season his minutes gradually increases by ~100, he'll be playing >3000 around 2030 :baus:

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Future Azzurri (already u-21) and Juventus captain. Will be a starter next season and regarded among the best in the World in a year or two.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
If every season his minutes gradually increases by ~100, he'll be playing >3000 around 2030 :baus:
Because going from 1560 minutes last season to probably playing 1800-2000 minutes this season is ~100 minutes.

:baus:

And of course he's not going to be playing 3000+ minutes until he is one of our 2 best CBs or injuries strike our starting pair. Benatia and Chiellini are clearly better right now.

- - - Updated - - -

icemaη;5691214 said:
Does it feel like he has played that many minutes though. That's whats important.
:D
One must be in touch with those feelings.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Because going from 1560 minutes last season to probably playing 1800-2000 minutes this season is ~100 minutes.

:baus:

And of course he's not going to be playing 3000+ minutes until he is one of our 2 best CBs or injuries strike our starting pair. Benatia and Chiellini are clearly better right now.

- - - Updated - - -

:D
One must be in touch with those feelings.
Well I dont want him starting if he's not starter material, which is Benatia-Chiellini level. And I doubt he's going to get there by being a backup, imo he needs the Bonucci treatment to break through. Hopefully Im wrong and youre right

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Knowing Allegri, next season will be Benatia-Chiellini again.

And the season after can very well be Benatia-Caldara. That's the ideal stopper-sweep combo.
The only problem with Rugani-Chiellini is that neither is all that comfortable with the ball at their feet. Chiellini is worse of course. This is exacerbated when Gigi is in net as he's not a ball-playing style keeper.

With Gigi in net, Benatia-Chiellini is our best pairing, and Benatia-Rugani probably next due to Benatia's calmness and ability with the ball at his feet.

With Szczesny in net, Rugani-Chiellini looks much better, because Szczesny is fantastic with the ball at his feet, and has superb accuracy on his long balls, negating the need for Rugani-Chiellini to have to play out from the back against teams that press our CBs.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Knowing Allegri, next season will be Benatia-Chiellini again.

And the season after can very well be Benatia-Caldara. That's the ideal stopper-sweep combo.
The only problem with Rugani-Chiellini is that neither is all that comfortable with the ball at their feet. Chiellini is worse of course. This is exacerbated when Gigi is in net as he's not a ball-playing style keeper.

With Gigi in net, Benatia-Chiellini is our best pairing, and Benatia-Rugani probably next due to Benatia's calmness and ability with the ball at his feet.

With Szczesny in net, Rugani-Chiellini looks much better, because Szczesny is fantastic with the ball at his feet, and has superb accuracy on his long balls, negating the need for Rugani-Chiellini to have to play out from the back against teams that press our CBs.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012

Rugani is extremely comfortable with the ball. Infact he's our best ball playing defender atm. He may not have the long ball accuracy of Bonucci as of yet but if there's one thing about Rugani, its that he's technically sound with the ball at his feet for a defender.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Rugani is extremely comfortable with the ball. Infact he's our best ball playing defender atm. He may not have the long ball accuracy of Bonucci as of yet but if there's one thing about Rugani, its that he's technically sound with the ball at his feet for a defender.
I think Benatia is far better with the ball. Just my opinion though. I always find Rugani seems to lack a bit of composure with the ball at his feet, and rushes things. He's technically sound, yes, but he seems to rush things. I don't know though, I could be wrong.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013

Ball playing attribute isn't one of the primary concerns when it comes to defenders. Things relating to defensive attributes and compatibility are.

Chiellini and Rugani are both stopper/marker type CBs, so is Benatia. Caldara is the sweep/cover type.

The ideal CB partnership is stopper-sweeper.

Benatia took up the sweep role at the start of the season, that's why he sucked (that and he wasn't in shape). Since then, Chiellini took up that role (which was surprising even though older stoppers often make the switch), and Benatia has been excellent since then. Chiellini's form suffered slightly because of that. Note the switch back to his old stop/mark role vs Spurs once Barzagli became his partner.

Benatia is very good on the ball, and Rugani isn't bad.

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
Dec 23, 2012
I think Benatia is far better with the ball. Just my opinion though. I always find Rugani seems to lack a bit of composure with the ball at his feet, and rushes things. He's technically sound, yes, but he seems to rush things. I don't know though, I could be wrong.
Yeah, Benatia is really solid with the ball, very composed, may not have the long balls of bonnuci but he is better defensively

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 50)