Daniele Rugani (64 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I don't get these 'he's not ready', 'he isn't good enough in training', 'he lacks confidence' statements. The results are clear to see, we aren't great defensively with him in the lineup, but with Benatia we are far, far worse.
How are we not better with him in the lineup if we have won 27 out of 28 games with him?

- - - Updated - - -

96% with him :D

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I mean he definitely should start more often, but those kind of stats are largely meaningless. Remeber Ogbonna used to be really good according to them as well.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Same reason Inglese gets a callup over Zaza.

Plus back then the CBs that weren't called up were shit as well, for Juve standards of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and it was mostly because people thought he'd get better (same reason Juve bought him), but that didn't really work out.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Same reason Inglese gets a callup over Zaza.

Plus back then the CBs that weren't called up were shit as well, for Juve standards of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and it was mostly because people thought he'd get better (same reason Juve bought him), but that didn't really work out.
I think it is understandable. Ogbonna had some raw traits, that if refined, showed he could have been a strong CB. Hasn't Ogbonna excelled in the premier league were his physique and technique on the ball are more important and his brain less important and tactical discipline less so? He just didn't really develop the traits required of a top Serie A CB

- - - Updated - - -

I really wanna like this guy, but it's hard ....
IMO it has been hard to judge our defenders as individuals based on this season

Every defender (bar Chiellini) Sandro, Kwadwo, Barzagli, Licht, Benatia has looked poor which tells me its not (at least exclusively) an individual issue. Hard to judge our youngest and least experienced defender right now when the rest of them are as bad or worse.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I think it is understandable. Ogbonna had some raw traits, that if refined, showed he could have been a strong CB. Hasn't Ogbonna excelled in the premier league were his physique and technique on the ball are more important and his brain less important and tactical discipline less so? He just didn't really develop the traits required of a top Serie A CB

- - - Updated - - -

IMO it has been hard to judge our defenders as individuals based on this season

Every defender (bar Chiellini) Sandro, Kwadwo, Barzagli, Licht, Benatia has looked poor which tells me its not (at least exclusively) an individual issue. Hard to judge our youngest and least experienced defender right now when the rest of them are as bad or worse.
Athletically speaking, Ogbonna was a bit of a physical specimen, which is why everyone though he'd develop into something a little more.

As for those defenders, Sandro just had a slow start. That happens, especially when there are so many changes in the squad, and on the back line.

But Asamoah, Licht, and Benatia are, unfortunately, not very good. Pretty exclusively, that's the reality. Asa and Licht are both well past it, and Benatia has never really convinced at Bayern or Juventus. Barzagli is such a beauty, but he's 36. The end is nigh.

I think it's pretty easy to judge 3/4 of those guys individually, bud. At this point, I could probably judge Barzagli individually, also, but just love him too much to be overly critical. But I wouldn't be overly keen to see him against top drawer opposition in European competition.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
someone who debuted so young and had the numbers rugani had.... CANNOT be worse than when bonucci came.

If we gave bonucci all the time in the world to develop, i cant see why we cant do the same with rugani, specially when having guys like benatia in the team. I mean, if chiello and barza were on his prime, i would understand the benching... but thats not the case.

We have been preparing rugani this 2 years for a season like this one, when we knew that our bbc was going to end someway.... And instead of using him and letting him get time on the pitch... we are benching him.

I just hope we do not do something idiotic and sell him by the endseason

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
someone who debuted so young and had the numbers rugani had.... CANNOT be worse than when bonucci came.

If we gave bonucci all the time in the world to develop, i cant see why we cant do the same with rugani, specially when having guys like benatia in the team. I mean, if chiello and barza were on his prime, i would understand the benching... but thats not the case.

We have been preparing rugani this 2 years for a season like this one, when we knew that our bbc was going to end someway.... And instead of using him and letting him get time on the pitch... we are benching him.

I just hope we do not do something idiotic and sell him by the endseason
you must realize that the situation the club was in when we gave Bonucci all the time he needed, and the situation we are in now when we are supposed to do the same with Rugani, couldnt be more different. worlds apart. doesent mean Rugani shouldnt be 2nd/3rd choice right now, but lets not pretend like were obligated to play the kid because we did the same with a different player 7 years ago

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
yeah i know the situation were evry different. We had way less responsabilities by that time and were just focusing on basics.. now we are anspiring to win a lot.

Anyways my point stand that it would e criminal to not nurture rugani regardless

Monty

Tuz Royalty
May 2, 2017
Hasn’t been very convincing in these last 2 games.

Defence is a lot about trust and he hasn’t earned it yet.

Expect to see barzagli- chiellini line up for the Milan game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 64)