Daddy, Will You Marry Me? (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Women marry men who look like dad

Women tend to choose husbands who look like their fathers - even if they are adopted, reveals a new study.

The research shows that women use their dads as a template for picking a mate by a process called "sexual imprinting", says Tamas Bereczkei at the University of Pécs in Hungary and colleagues.

Husbands and wives have long been suggested to look alike and this is known to occur in many animal species. Couples that look like each other are also more likely to share common genes, and having a degree of similarity is believed to beneficial.

This might explain the study's findings, suggests Glenn Weisfeld, one of the research team and a human ethologist at Wayne State University, Detroit, US "There seems to be an advantage for animals to select a mate somewhat similar to themselves genetically," he told New Scientist.

"One good possibility is that there are some fortuitous genetic combinations which are retained in the offspring if both parents are similar," he says. "In humans there is evidence to show a lower rate of miscarriage."

However, he points out that there is a balance between the benefits of marrying someone genetically close and the harmful effects of inbreeding. "There seems to be an ideal balance, maybe around the first or second cousin point."

Imprinting is a fast, instinctive form of learning, perhaps best known from the phenomenon in which newborn ducklings bond with the first object they see.

To test whether women use imprinting to base their marital choices on the appearance of their fathers, the researchers took 26 adoptive families and examined how alike various family members looked. Using adoptive families meant inherited preferences could be ruled out.

Nearly 250 students were asked to rate similarities within three sets of photos. The first showed photos of the wife and four possible husbands, one of whom was the real spouse.

The second showed a photo of the adoptive father as he would have looked when his daughter was between two and eight years of age, and the possible husbands. The third set showed the adoptive mother and the four possible husbands.

The students correctly matched husbands and wives significantly more than they would have by chance alone. But the similarity between husbands and adoptive fathers was most striking. Where the judges might have matched a quarter of the husbands with the fathers by chance, they actually matched 38 per cent correctly.

There was no significant resemblance between the husband and the adoptive
An "unexpected" finding, says Weisfeld, was that fathers who were judged by their daughters to have showed the most emotional warmth were much more likely to have son-in-laws who looked like them.

"Our results support the notion of a long-lasting effect of attachment during childhood on later mating preferences," the team concludes. They suggest that people form a "mental model" of their opposite-sex parent's appearance, which they then seek out in later life.

But Weisfeld points out that mating decisions are complex in humans and many other biological and social factors will play a part. For example, studies have shown that a person's smell can also help someone judge how related they are to a potential partner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about all these new threads, I just thought it'd be interesting

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    I found this particularly interesting, because my gf always talks about how I look like her dad from certain angles and when i do certain things. I always thought it was weird but i guess it makes sense now

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    i heard that and it is not very common i must say as a female opinion on that.

but,in some cases,it's very obvious and that is sad.

cause lots of my friends have awful fathers

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by alex_samatar ] ++
    In India Women marry Men,but i don't believe that
    :wth: you never cease to mystify me

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    hey, cool.....i've heard bout this b4. i'm always attracted to guys that look a bit like me dad, so that explains things :p

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by alex_samatar ] ++
    In India Women marry Men,but i don't believe that
    Dude, am Indian. Will give you tips on how to satisfy your woman before and after marriage if you need any.

PS: Its quite sad you think that way. Do drop by this country sometime.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Btw you guys, doesnt this article also offer an avenue which works the same with guys wanting their mothers qualities in a wife to be?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)