Cruyff backing for Arsenal (1 Viewer)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Dutch legend Johan Cruyff says he wants Arsenal to win the Champions League.
The former Ajax and Barcelona star has been bowled over by the free-flowing football the Gunners have been producing this season.

"I think Arsenal can go all the way and win the Champions League," said Cruyff. "I watch Arsenal all the time and I admire their style.

"If Arsenal win it playing football the way only they know how then Europe would be proud to have such champions."

Cruyff knows all about what it takes to win Europe's biggest competition, having triumphed three times as a player with Ajax and once as coach with Barcelona.

And the three-time European Footballer of the Year thinks that Arsenal have finally cracked the secret of succeeding in Europe.

"Already I reckon they have the title wrapped up in England and the FA Cup is there for them to win too," he said.

"In previous seasons they have played sublime football but have gone out of the Champions League prematurely.

"This time they are at least through to the quarter-finals and that step forward can be the key for them.

"They have loads of players I love to watch, not just Thierry Henry but Dennis Bergkamp, Robert Pires and Jose Reyes.

"Those guys are special footballers who raise themselves and their team above the ordinary."

But Cruyff admitted that Arsenal were not without weaknesses which mean they are by no means certain to claim European glory.

"I'm still wondering whether they really have everything it takes to conquer Europe or whether some final elements are lacking," said Cruyff.

"There are sufficient doubts that I can't say for sure that they can win the Champions League but they are the side I hope will do it."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumb:
thats a bloke who knows his stuff.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 27, 2003
Cruyff might know his football, but let me remind you a declaration he made a few years ago, the night before the CL final between Milan and Barca :

"The difference between Milan and us is that they have bought Dessailly whereas we have bought Romario. This will be for all to see tomorrow night".

What we saw the next night was a Costacurta and Baresi-less Milan crush Barca 4-0, with Dessailly scoring Milan's fourth.

Arsenal are a great team, and I would love to see us (Milan) meet them in the final. Considering English clubs' bad tradition against Spanish clubs tho, I think it will be very hard for the Wenger boys to get past Real in the semis (that is if both teams qualify).

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Kaiser, you worded that exactly the same as you did in a previous thread a long time ago ;)

Gogeta

Jan 20, 2004
I'm sorry but IMO Arsenal are not good enough to win the champions league, yes the are playing well in the premiership and maybe if they got a different draw in the CL then "MAYBE", but to get past chelsea the madrid is a tall order.

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
Kaiser, you worded that exactly the same as you did in a previous thread a long time ago ;)
An italian journalist (Sandro Ciotti) once labelled Cruyff "the prophet of goal".

I think it is my duty to spread the word of the prophet:cool:

OP
Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by Gogeta ] ++
    I'm sorry but IMO Arsenal are not good enough to win the champions league, yes the are playing well in the premiership and maybe if they got a different draw in the CL then "MAYBE", but to get past chelsea the madrid is a tall order.
    we'll see.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Arsenal are just about the most overrated team in the history of the game. I hope someone gives them a stuffing to knock their heads back down to size.

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    i wonder what your reactions will be when we win the CL:excited:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    i wonder what your reactions will be when we win the CL:excited:
    I think my reaction will be to get out of my wheelchair, put in my false teeth and kill myself by chewing up a whole bottle of my Alzheimer's tablets

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    I think my reaction will be to get out of my wheelchair, put in my false teeth and kill myself by chewing up a whole bottle of my Alzheimer's tablets
    Wow, you've certainly aged since that last photo you posted. ;)

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13

that makes me more optimistic about winning the CL:p

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    So now you're interested in what Cruyff has to say? Hypocrit

I don't think Arsenal can win the CL. They will win Euro2004 though.
    i heard you whispering something:undecide:

if Arsenal dont win Euro 2004 then i'd bet on anything that they'll win the World Cup.

Aug 1, 2003
    I hope Monaco wins it.

Arsenal is just simply overrated, irritating, full of cocks and bulls, play the most eye-paining football I see, has the worst Cassano attitudes all combined together, and somehow thanks to Vaseline or whatever they look more sweaty than they really are

:D

OP
    Fred

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    I hope Monaco wins it.

Arsenal is just simply overrated, irritating, full of cocks and bulls, play the most eye-paining football I see, has the worst Cassano attitudes all combined together, and somehow thanks to Vaseline or whatever they look more sweaty than they really are

:D
    dont let me start on the refereeing issue:groan:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)