Cristiano Ronaldo (109 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Griezmann took Atletico to CL final and revivaled France 2016. Didnt win s..t.

Wasnt there cases in past x player didnt win despite great success like Sneijder CL and WC final. Iniesta couple of times etc.

Really feels like there is some Madrid Perez influence. Or spanish bias. Has to be la liga player.

2012 Messi won it despite Chelsea - Bayern CL final and Spain-Italy euro final. So this Modric played in final is bs.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Actually it does.. Modric won the CL and took Croatia (who were a big outsider) to the final of the WC...
Ronaldo obviously has better numbers but Modric had a huge effect on Real last year..
What I fail to understand is how Modric won the CL player of the year ahead of Ronaldo as based only on CL Ronaldo is the obvious pick...

- - - Updated - - -

We all know this is going to change until the summer..
Anyway why bother with Napoli?! They arent really rivals and we all know it.. Its just Napoli convincing themselves in order to compete..

We should bother with Barcelona Real Bayern PSG City (although Im not convinced by them) and long term you can add Man Utd to this list
In Italy we are unreachable at the moment and our biggest "rival" is... ourselves...
On the other hand, Varane won World Cup, Champions League. It’s double standards all over the place.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Why does anyone care about Ronaldo not winning Balon d'Or? Ronaldo wasn't even a Juventus player. Why are y'all butthurt about him not winning individual trophies for what he did at Real Madrid last season, including almost singlehandedly knocking us out of CL, and embarrassing us in Turin.

Sure, there could be an argument made that he was the best in club football last season, by some margin, but there can also be argument made for Modric, as he was a huge part of Croatia's success and big part of Madrid's as well.

Strange to be upset about this as a Juventus fan.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Why does anyone care about Ronaldo not winning Balon d'Or? Ronaldo wasn't even a Juventus player. Why are y'all butthurt about him not winning individual trophies for what he did at Real Madrid last season, including almost singlehandedly knocking us out of CL, and embarrassing us in Turin.

Sure, there could be an argument made that he was the best in club football last season, by some margin, but there can also be argument made for Modric, as he was a huge part of Croatia's success and big part of Madrid's as well.

why are you surprised, we on tuz always argued the balon dor, even when it hadnt to do anything with Juve. and to me, this was the most ridiculous one yet, probably since Owen winning it in 2001

Mar 10, 2009

Because there is a growing fear that Perez has a big influence on Fifa and UEFA. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

Oh and also;

Ronaldo >>>>>>>>>>> Modric.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
My issue is not Ronaldo or Messi. My issue is double standards. If Modric deserved it then there were other years a different player named not Messi/Ronaldo should have won it. Why didnt Iniesta win it 2010 or 2012? Messi and Ronaldo didnt play finals of CL/WC/EU those seasons. This hype around Modric like he is the best mid ever now.

Dino_mk

Sep 5, 2007
My issue is not Ronaldo or Messi. My issue is double standards. If Modric deserved it then there were other years a different player named not Messi/Ronaldo should have won it. Why didnt Iniesta win it 2010 or 2012? Messi and Ronaldo didnt play finals of CL/WC/EU those seasons. This hype around Modric like he is the best mid ever now.
:tup:
This overhyping of Modric this year is ridiculous. He was having far more important and influential performances for RM two seasons ago (when they were in the final against Atletico). Suddenly this year everyone decided he is having best season, something is fishy about all this Perez - UEFA relationship.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Iniesta was Spains best mid (not necessarily best player) in 2010 and 2012, Xavi was their best player in 2008. in each of those 3 years, barcelona reached a CL semifinal, and won the league in 2010 and 2012 (were 3rd in 2008, with Xavi being their probably only consistent performer). Sneijder won the triplette with inter while reaching WC final (a WC where he scored 5 goals as a mid). Robben that same year won double in BL as the by far best player in the league, reached a CL final as the by far best and most impactful Bayern player, and one of the best in the competition, while he was also part of the same Netherlands as Sneijder that reached the WC final. Ronaldo won the league at Camp Nou, played a CL semifinal and a EURO semifinal (where he was joint top scorer and made team of the tournament) in 2012. Ribery was unplayable in 2013 and won the treble. you mentioned Griezmann in 2016, but Ronaldos team beat him in 2 finals (yes, Atletico were underdog but so was Portugal), while the GOAT also outplayed him individually. someone mentioned Pepe that same year, which was a fairer case than any of the Ramos ones the last 4-5 years, but still not enough to outweigh Ronaldo and his monstrous impact.

basically, the unarguable ones of the CR&Messi era were Ronaldos in 2008, 2014, 2016 and 2017 and Messis in 2009, 2011 and 2015. you could argue about 2010, 2012 and 2013, but each of those 3 wins was more deserving than Modric this year

Oct 2, 2018
I´m happy for Luka, but Modric wan´t even among the best ten players of the year.

Anything other than CR7, Messi and Salah as finalists is a joke.

But I understand it. They have grown tired of the two greats.

As for you Juve fans, you shouldn´t give a shit. Who cares which team has the player that has won the trophy, when you have the one that deserves it?

At the end of the day, you are still the ones that got the beast playing for you..

- - - Updated - - -

Ultimately these awards mean jack shit, but I find it hilarious that two superior midfielders in Pirlo and Iniesta never won this and Modric did. Madrid mafia in full flow.
Modric is better than both of them.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
also, how come no one mentions Lovren? CL final with underdog Liverpool and WC final with underdog Croatia? was Varane really that better than him, only because his (better) teams beat Lovrens twice in 2 finals? wtf is Mbappe doing there, and lastly, i agree with you @petergrifindor if you just replace Messi with Griezmann

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
why are you surprised, we on tuz always argued the balon dor, even when it hadnt to do anything with Juve. and to me, this was the most ridiculous one yet, probably since Owen winning it in 2001
I mostly argued the balon d'or in the past to rile up the midget fanbois. When HGH Leo isn't even in the conversation it's much less fun. :boh:

Oct 2, 2018
i agree with you @petergrifindor if you just replace Messi with Griezmann
Nah man, Griezzman never played anywhere the level of Messi last year. And he will never play like that, because he can´t.

Yes, he won the world Cup with France, but the year has 60+- games. And Messi played circles with everybody through the year.

I tell you, if Messi never existed, and a new player named Cuccittini played last year like Leo did, no one would be able to speak of any other thing. He would be THE MAN.

Same thing for a new player called Aveiro in a world in which CR7 never existed.

But they have become kind of repetitive, and the ones that gives the individual trophys have taken the opportunity to change things a bit.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Who should have won it in 2001?

Totti? :snoop:
not Owen?

Raul, Elber, Kahn, Figo etc. were more deserving. Totti/Batistuta as well probably, due to historic achievement. maybe among midfielders you could mention Mendieta or Effenberg, those are one of the few i remember during the 2001 CL season

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
He didnt take them to the wc final, it was a team effort with a bit of luck (PKs and extra time wins), with some players like Mandzu and Perisic standing out as their key players. He also wasnt key player for Madrid, that was obviously Ronaldo, to anyone with even a bit of common sense. Followed by Marcelo. Some others have been more important than him as well. He wasnt the standout player in either of his teams this year, and dont even get me started on his La liga performances in this calendar year
He didnt take them by himself but he was the standout player in the competition...
at Real he was very important along with Marcelo and Ronaldo
as for this year - Yeah he is way below par..

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, Varane won World Cup, Champions League. It’s double standards all over the place.
Well Varane should be on top of the defenders list but for a defender to win it he needs to be really really special..
IMO the top trio should have been Modric Ronaldo and Salah who gave a great season last year (put aside the WC in which he plays for Egypt..)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Nah man, Griezzman never played anywhere the level of Messi last year. And he will never play like that, because he can´t.

Yes, he won the world Cup with France, but the year has 60+- games. And Messi played circles with everybody through the year.

I tell you, if Messi never existed, and a new player named Cuccittini played last year like Leo did, no one would be able to speak of any other thing. He would be THE MAN.

Same thing for a new player called Aveiro in a world in which CR7 never existed.

But they have become kind of repetitive, and the ones that gives the individual trophys have taken the opportunity to change things a bit.
but the problem with your argument is, there are different competitions, some more some less important. the 2 most important ones, CL and WC, do you honestly think Messi had a big year like Ronaldo, Salah or Griezmann? people say Griezmann went out in the group stage, but that was in 2017, so not relevant at all. the only thing that matters is the calendar year 2018, in which Griezmann won the UEL (was named best player), WC and was 2nd in La Liga. scored 32 goals with 15 assists during the year as well. while youre right about Messi being individually great all the time, your play also needs to translate into winning (WC/CL > League > EL/other int. comp. > Nat. Cups, by importance), and winning players should always get the advantage over losing ones, unless the difference is too big to ignore

- - - Updated - - -

He didnt take them by himself but he was the standout player in the competition...
at Real he was very important along with Marcelo and Ronaldo
as for this year - Yeah he is way below par..

- - - Updated - - -

Well Varane should be on top of the defenders list but for a defender to win it he needs to be really really special..
IMO the top trio should have been Modric Ronaldo and Salah who gave a great season last year (put aside the WC in which he plays for Egypt..)
so you watched the WC and think Modric was their standout player? havent been paying attention to other Croatia players, have you?
you put him along with Marcelo and Ronaldo during this year for Madrid? discussion over, you clearly didnt even watch Real

- - - Updated - - -

I mostly argued the balon d'or in the past to rile up the midget fanbois. When HGH Leo isn't even in the conversation it's much less fun. :boh:
i miss @Nedved96 with his Pepe for balon dor argument :sad:

tho that one still made more sense than Modric :shifty:

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
To simplify was Modric’s success was getting Croatia in final (and getting humiliated) because his team were underdogs. Then Salah should have won Uefa player of the year because Liverpool went to finals as underdogs. It’s clear Modric is overrated and his magic has disappeared since Ronaldo left Madrid, on the onther hand Ronaldo keeps on being the best. I must say Ronaldo was robbed and it sucks for him.
If you see the stats Modric wasnt spectacular for Croatia. Perisic was involved in most of Croatia’s goals after group stages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 76)