CPU Overclocking (1 Viewer)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

so i've read a little bout CPU overclocking, that u can make ur CPU work faster than it's given speed.

now how can i do that? im guessing i'll have to fiddle with my BIOS settings. or can it be achieved by softwares?
it depends on your motherbard, cpu. if they are newer you can do it via some software, i can very easily, if not it's bios. though i wouldn't recommend it, the extra few MHz you get are very rarely anything noticeable.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Your CPU can either be overclocked:

1) In the BIOS setup OR
2) By fiddling with the jumper switches OR
3) Not at all

You'll want to find out what motherboard/CPU you're using and do thorough research into the overclock-ability and maximum clock speed of your rig.

But as vlatko said, you won't notice much of a difference unless you have a CPU that's conducive to being overclocked by large margins. The biggest problem re: overclocking is heat, so you'll have to be ready to install a bunch of cooling gear

Unless you're a modding enthusiast and you're doing it for kicks/educational purposes, your time and money would probably be better spent just buying a faster processor :)

OP
Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #4
    mmm...AMD Sempron running on an Asus K8V-MX mobo.

and yes, i just wanna find out how it's done...i dont think i'll really overclock MY CPU...maybe just give it a try to learn how it's done...

how can i do it thru the BIOS?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Google Is Your Friend!

As for doing it through your BIOS, it's simple. On startup, go to your BIOS settings and snoop around for CPU clock speed options. If they're available, you can fiddle around with them. If not, you're out of luck and you're going to have to take out your screwdrivers and pliers :)

btw is that Satch in your avatar? Class :cool:

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    What about the potential risks?
    I ve recently upgraded from an AMD Athlon 1700+ to an Intel Duo Core 2 1.86Ghz
    I ve red that both of my "models" can be overclocked with spectacular results!?! (comparing to their initial performance), i know a few guys that can give a hand
    (they upgraded my ATI 9800 pro to an 9800xt )
    but i m afraid that my CPU will get fried, i wont risk my new Duo Core 2 yet (untill i see some results with my own eyes)
    and unfortunately my old GIGABYTE motherboard cant support a CPU larger than 2Ghz,
    so if i try and succesfully upgrade my Athlon 1700+ to an 2000+ will this mean that the CPU's circle of life will be drastically reduced? even if it survive the upgrade?
    My motherboard will need a bigger source to feed him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)