Coppa: Juve undone in Napoli (1 Viewer)

Max

Jul 15, 2003
AnthraX said:
I dun understand one thing- why on Earth did Gigi shoot a 2nd penalty kick? :(
Deschamps said it was because Buffon offered. When a shootout situation occurs, sometimes it's better to have someone who feels motivated to take a penalty (even if they're not the greatest scorer) than a star striker who doesn't feel comfortable over the ball on the penalty spot. Penalties are just as much a mental game than an athletic battle.

OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #24
    Not only that, but apparently Buffon had a little more energy than the rest of the guys who had been running for up to 120 minutes of play.

May 27, 2006
    buffon is right now the 2nd icon and symbol for the juve players not only bcuz of his skills but also of his loyalty and his superb performances, so he thought he could omitvate the players not only by maybe saving a pk but also by scoring one; too bad hes a goalie and not a fw

PS 3

Aug 17, 2006
    Azzurri7 said:
    Seriously, what kind of defenders we had last night? Dp scoring the 3rd goal, after just 1min to recieve one? This should only happen to Roma, not us FFS.
    But we played with Birindelli in the center of the defense:tdown:
    The only good central are Kovac,Tudor and Maybe Boumsong.
    They can't play 40 matches

Aug 29, 2006
    PS 3 said:
    But we played with Birindelli in the center of the defense:tdown:
    The only good central are Kovac,Tudor and Maybe Boumsong.
    They can't play 40 matches
    agree
    birindeli is good or was good as left or right back but central defender nooo

Christine

Jul 29, 2006
    Max said:
    Deschamps said it was because Buffon offered. When a shootout situation occurs, sometimes it's better to have someone who feels motivated to take a penalty (even if they're not the greatest scorer) than a star striker who doesn't feel comfortable over the ball on the penalty spot. Penalties are just as much a mental game than an athletic battle.
    Hi
    I am pretty new to this forum, and been reading all the posts with interest.

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but could someone explain to me if I have this right? Buffon offerd to shoot a penalty? I thought he was goalkeeper?

Anyway, looking forward to learning more, and catching up on all the Juve chitchat. :cool:
    Christine

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #30
    Christine said:
    Hi
    I am pretty new to this forum, and been reading all the posts with interest.

Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but could someone explain to me if I have this right? Buffon offerd to shoot a penalty? I thought he was goalkeeper?

Anyway, looking forward to learning more, and catching up on all the Juve chitchat. :cool:
    Christine
    Welcome, Christine!

But yes -- it sounds like DD was lining up a PK roster, and Gigi stepped to the fore and volunteered to take the first shot.

And yes, he is a goalkeeper. But that shouldn't necessarily stop you from taking a PK. Ricardo, GK for the Portugal NT in Euro 2004, helped eliminate England from the competition by both blocking a PK and then next successfully making one at the other end.

Juventico

Apr 7, 2005
    Welcome Christine!

Some goalies sometimes take pks, there's that Ricardo example, and I can recall some few "known" other goalies. Chilavert, Abbondanzieri...

Christine

Jul 29, 2006
    swag said:
    Welcome, Christine!

But yes -- it sounds like DD was lining up a PK roster, and Gigi stepped to the fore and volunteered to take the first shot.

And yes, he is a goalkeeper. But that shouldn't necessarily stop you from taking a PK. Ricardo, GK for the Portugal NT in Euro 2004, helped eliminate England from the competition by both blocking a PK and then next successfully making one at the other end.
    Oh noice!
    Thanks for the reply.
    I noticed on Youtube theres a lot of vid's of Buffon...I would love to see one of him taking a Penalty!

If anyone has this, and is putting it on there, could you let me know?

I am spewing I miss all these matches! Anyone on this list in Australia? If so, which channels are you watching? Assuming Eurosport on Foxtel?

I am fairly new to this stuff...getting in touch with dads side of the family LOL...All Italians, so likely to head off there on my next OS trip.

Thanks once again for the response.
    Chris

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)