Computers show how wind could have parted Red Sea (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Even if it's scientifically possible, it would still be a miracle for it to happen at that exact time. The issue though is that we don't really know it happened. It is quite likely that it is only a literary exaggeration. Who takes the Bible literally anyway?

What's truly disturbing here though is that people are actually doing research for this. Cure cancer, eliminate world hunger, create peace, don't waste time doing this.
Seven, did you even read the article?
"The study is part of a larger research project by Mr Drews into the impacts of winds on water depths, including the extent to which Pacific Ocean typhoons can drive storm surges."

This was a media-friendly use of a set of models with a broad use. Andy is right here.

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007
Gamaro, it's just a case study of how some motions of the atmosphere interact with physical features of the Earth. I find it interesting as both atmospheric science and some physical Earth sciences are based on fluid dynamics. These interactions aren't totally understood yet, so they should be researched. This is what science is supposed to do, form hypotheses, test hypotheses, and form conclusions on them to explain the world around us. In this case, we have a "Biblical" event under consideration, which is no different than mapping hurricanes or tornadoes that existed prior to the invention of modern techniques of data acquisition. The fact that religious folk will dismiss anything that is proven in scientific reports is what I refer to as a constant, so that doesn't even need to be discussed.
You are abosolutely right,but you are again dragging it so far away,scientific researches must be there to develop our life on Earth,no one argue in that dear,but we are talking about this particular topic,was the purpose of this study really a scientific research or it was all to prove an incident mentioned in the holy books?

If it was meant to explain a strange phenomenon then i'd agree with you.But what i think it is not,so it is useless.

But that's the thing, Andy. Even with the scientific explanation it would be a miracle, so it doesn't add anything to the debate.
So religious people will tell you: we told you so. And nothing has changed.
I wouldn't really consider it a miracle that some physical process created a temporary change in the features of the Earth's surface, but that's just me.

Perhaps we shouldn't study hurricanes either since they are mentioned in the Bible.
As Andries said before,if there is miracle then it would be in the timing of the partition itself.

Ok,Science has proved the sea was parted due winds,then why only Moses passed?Why Pharaoh and Hamman drowned while passing?

If it was not a miracle then both Moses and Pharaoh would have passed on a solid ground,but why after Moses just reached the other side the sea regained its original state?

You guys are big on science, are you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaber_Ibn_Hayan
Father of Chemistry:eyebrows:

Mate,as i said before,if the Earth is really in danger then its we who made that.Instead of spending billions to explore and search for another life that may not be found it is better to save our Earth and develop it.

If it is said tha that life on Earth would be in danger in the future,i would say it is true,but that not because the means of life on Earth are vanishing per se,but because we misuse the resources on Earth.Global warming,Ozone hole,nuclear danger and excessive consumption of Energy all are man made.

And saying that overpopulation in the future would be the main problem is silly.Do u know dear that the carrying capacity of Earth is Really unlimited.The resources available on Earth can cover the necessities of all the human beings living on Earth now,if there is poverty in the world then it is because of the monopoly of resources made by the major powers.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Whether it may be found or not is irrelevant. We don't depend on finding intelligent life to help us, they could just as likely kill us, we depend on finding about our origins and what could happen to the planet, in the short, medium and long term. In the long term we are pretty certain the Sun will burn the Earth to a crisp. So there is no infinity to it at all. In the short and medium term we are dealing with issues of global warming, sustaining a growing population and finding energy sources. We also have to prepare for the possibility of an asteroid collision. This isn't science fiction or a Hollywood movie, but real events. A manned mission to a nearby asteroid is planned in the 2020's to determine it's composition and what can be done to deflect or destroy similar sized bodies, of which some come very close to us as soon as the 2030's. This is also when we are planned to attempt a Mars landing. I can see why some religious figures would not want to find other life or expand our horizons, that scares them, science often contradicts them. No god is deflecting asteroids that can wipe out entire species, we will do that with technology, then it is up to people to have faith in what they believe in. Which is why I don't think a closed minded attitude is the way forward. If a god really does exist then surely they gave us this intelligence to help ourselves, debating how it is done is the only issue. Isn't Islam the religion of science after all? Arabic astronomers were leaders in the field, Muhammed himself is an apparent philosopher in this area, looking at nature rather than superstition or belief. The Quran is one of the leading religious texts in reference to the Universe and it's creation. Putting a wall in front of the advancement of the human race is a death sentence, you evolve or die, a lot of the science that goes into companies like NASA and the ESA comes back into society and directly benefits society and the planet, remember they are not just looking at other planets but constantly monitoring our own. When you consider NASA's $15Bn annual budget it is peanuts in comparison to the figures that are spent in other areas. The US military has spent 75 times that amount since 2001.

The capacity of Earth is simply not unlimited, there is only so much land and space, and providing food and energy is the biggest problem. People can live pretty much anywhere, up in the sky, in bunkers, on mountains, anywhere with air, energy, shelter and food. By 2050 the population of Earth could be close to double what it is now. We have to make changes and will make changes to combat that. A lot of people probably won't like those changes either. I agree with what you say about the monopolizing of resources, and this is the big change that has to happen.

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007
1-Whether it may be found or not is irrelevant. We don't depend on finding intelligent life to help us, they could just as likely kill us, we depend on finding about our origins and what could happen to the planet, in the short, medium and long term.

2- In the long term we are pretty certain the Sun will burn the Earth to a crisp. So there is no infinity to it at all. In the short and medium term we are dealing with issues of global warming, sustaining a growing population and finding energy sources.

3- We also have to prepare for the possibility of an asteroid collision. This isn't science fiction or a Hollywood movie, but real events. A manned mission to a nearby asteroid is planned in the 2020's to determine it's composition and what can be done to deflect or destroy similar sized bodies, of which some come very close to us as soon as the 2030's. This is also when we are planned to attempt a Mars landing.

4-I can see why some religious figures would not want to find other life or expand our horizons, that scares them, science often contradicts them. No god is deflecting asteroids that can wipe out entire species, we will do that with technology, then it is up to people to have faith in what they believe in. Which is why I don't think a closed minded attitude is the way forward.

5-If a god really does exist then surely they gave us this intelligence to help ourselves.

6-debating how it is done is the only issue.

7-Isn't Islam the religion of science after all? Arabic astronomers were leaders in the field, Muhammed himself is an apparent philosopher in this area, looking at nature rather than superstition or belief. The Quran is one of the leading religious texts in reference to the Universe and it's creation.

8-Putting a wall in front of the advancement of the human race is a death sentence, you evolve or die, a lot of the science that goes into companies like NASA and the ESA comes back into society and directly benefits society and the planet, remember they are not just looking at other planets but constantly monitoring our own.

9-When you consider NASA's $15Bn annual budget it is peanuts in comparison to the figures that are spent in other areas. The US military has spent 75 times that amount since 2001.

10-The capacity of Earth is simply not unlimited, there is only so much land and space, and providing food and energy is the biggest problem. People can live pretty much anywhere, up in the sky, in bunkers, on mountains, anywhere with air, energy, shelter and food. By 2050 the population of Earth could be close to double what it is now. We have to make changes and will make changes to combat that. A lot of people probably won't like those changes either. I agree with what you say about the monopolizing of resources, and this is the big change that has to happen.
Oh man,u mentioned lots of things,so i have to reply in pointwise as you see above;

1-Agree with that.

2-That's known to me.

3-Aware of that.

4-well,i can understand why many westerns have this opinion about religious ppl,what happened to Galileo gives u the right to think like that about them.I can say that my religion which is Islam is not at all against science,and even christianity TBH is not,but in fact,some narrow minded popes as u mentioned who make their religions looks so.Jesus himself didn't mention anything against science,but what happened to Galileo and many other European scientists in the middle ages was not an order of God,but orders of popes who wanted their ppl to remain backward so they can have good control on them and u know that well.

5-:tup: exactly this what i believe in,God gave us brains to use them,and that's why we are different from animals.

6-This is my main point mate,there is no doubt we must explore the world we live in,as u said "debating how it is done is the issue",so not any research is worthful just because it is a research per se.

7-:agree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomy_in_medieval_Islam
In fact,what you said about how the Sun will burn the Earth is mentioned in Quran;)

8 & 9 -Yea,i admitt u convinced me in these points.

10-What do u mean by Energy?
If u mean Petrol,then i would say yes it is limited but not the only source of Energy on Earth.About food,i would say the fertile soil on this planet suffice much more than even the double of the current population.And if we could really find a life in another planet,will all the human beings on Earth afford to go there?and who will exactly go?

In the End,i would say it is really an interesting arguement with u,i have no any problem going to another planet,but i think we should find the life here only,and if we could not then let's search.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)