Comics (7 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
HUSH was a great read. Kept me interested and guessing who Hush was till the end. Really enjoyed it.

Also, just watched Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, and I think it's now my favourite DC animated movie. I think that position was held by Flashpoint Paradox.

OP
icemaη

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
  • Thread Starter #45
    Binge read The Flash (New 52) during the week off I had. It was pretty good.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
    HUSH was a great read. Kept me interested and guessing who Hush was till the end. Really enjoyed it.

Also, just watched Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, and I think it's now my favourite DC animated movie. I think that position was held by Flashpoint Paradox.
    Hush and Flashpoint are great reads.

You really need to read Injustice: Gods Among Us. :)

Apr 15, 2006
    Gonna save that for a time after I finish this graphic novel and a ton of other books I'm yet to read. :D

On a side note, I've been reading the Knightfall-Knightquest-Knightsend series from Batman. Pretty cool stuff. I see how DC have been experimenting with Batman since a long time.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    icemaη;5701933 said:
    I just got back in myself. What you reading?
    I read plenty of Batman comics and, dare I say, all of the best ones. Some of them were pretty amazing, some were average but still a fun read.

Then I got more deep into it, as I read Sandman (not all of it) and liked the whole world a lot more. I've come to realize that the best stuff is coming from Europe but it's not pushed like the American stuff. I read Jodorowsky's Incal and it was fantastic. It left such a huge mark in the cinematografy as majority of the best sci fi movies stole some parts from it. Moebius drew that one and he's the finest artist out there. His brain is just way too creative and incredible. I read Before Incal as well, which wasn't drawn by Moebius, and it was good but couldn't beat the original.

Right now I'm reading Vagabond. I read like 300 out of 360 chapters. It's by far the most impressive drawing that's out there. The details are incredible while it tells the story about Miyamoto Musashi.

I have plenty of comics that I want to read in the future. Many European ones and some Asian (manga).

OP
    icemaη

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
  • Thread Starter #53
    I read plenty of Batman comics and, dare I say, all of the best ones. Some of them were pretty amazing, some were average but still a fun read.

Then I got more deep into it, as I read Sandman (not all of it) and liked the whole world a lot more. I've come to realize that the best stuff is coming from Europe but it's not pushed like the American stuff. I read Jodorowsky's Incal and it was fantastic. It left such a huge mark in the cinematografy as majority of the best sci fi movies stole some parts from it. Moebius drew that one and he's the finest artist out there. His brain is just way too creative and incredible. I read Before Incal as well, which wasn't drawn by Moebius, and it was good but couldn't beat the original.

Right now I'm reading Vagabond. I read like 300 out of 360 chapters. It's by far the most impressive drawing that's out there. The details are incredible while it tells the story about Miyamoto Musashi.

I have plenty of comics that I want to read in the future. Many European ones and some Asian (manga).
    :tup: I've mainly only read ones from DC, Marvel and Image comics (I particularly loved Bedlam and The Fade Out, both short 11/12 chapter runs). I'll checkout the ones you have listed here. I've a hard time finding time to read books these days, a couple of pages of comics every hour or so I'm able to fit in nicely.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    icemaη;5702180 said:
    :tup: I've mainly only read ones from DC, Marvel and Image comics (I particularly loved Bedlam and The Fade Out, both short 11/12 chapter runs). I'll checkout the ones you have listed here. I've a hard time finding time to read books these days, a couple of pages of comics every hour or so I'm able to fit in nicely.
    Haha, that's my current position. I read comics just because it's easier for me to focus and invest lesser time involving brain.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I read Corto Maltese. It was bloody fantastic. :tup: I totally recommend that.

You should also keep an eye on The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar.

DC & Marvel are kinda fun. But that's about it. I don't even list those as 'true' comics. IMO that's kids stuff and just some basic fun (eventhough I read quite a lot of them).

Miki

Jun 18, 2008
    Haha, that's my current position. I read comics just because it's easier for me to focus and invest lesser time involving brain.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I read Corto Maltese. It was bloody fantastic. :tup: I totally recommend that.

You should also keep an eye on The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar.

DC & Marvel are kinda fun. But that's about it. I don't even list those as 'true' comics. IMO that's kids stuff and just some basic fun (eventhough I read quite a lot of them).
    Hey, now... DC's Vertigo imprint had some very good comics, Sandman included.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Hey, now... DC's Vertigo imprint had some very good comics, Sandman included.
    Vertigo is a totally different story. They were given freedom to do comics to adults, so Vertigo was born. There's plenty of good stuff there, no doubt. But they still can't beat Europeans comics.

And btw, Sandman was/is great, no doubt about it. But then again, it does have flaws. Creativity and drawing is great and something totally different, but the story itself is a mess.

Miki

Jun 18, 2008
    Vertigo is a totally different story. They were given freedom to do comics to adults, so Vertigo was born. There's plenty of good stuff there, no doubt. But they still can't beat Europeans comics.

And btw, Sandman was/is great, no doubt about it. But then again, it does have flaws. Creativity and drawing is great and something totally different, but the story itself is a mess.
    The story may be somewhat chaotic, but I remember liking it.

As for European comics, I haven't really read a lot. Only the stuff I read as a kid, i.e. Bonelli's comics and Alan Ford.

Incal is something I might consider reading, if I find the time.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Swamp Thing 1, 2, 3 - At first it had me at meh but later on it just kept getting and better. Alan Moore is a brilliant man and what he did in the comics world is simply beying great. The brain of that guy is just insane, even though it's quite obvious that he was/is on drugs at some point in his life. Still, his creation and imagionation is top notch. Everything that he touches turns into gold, he's just that good. Storyline of his is always quite deep and worth of thinkin' about it for some time. Coloring of Tatjana Wood pushed the borders as she did a perfect job in my opinion. I loved the monologue at the end of #1 and it kept going on in the next books.

Blacksad (1, 2, 3) - Amazing. I expected great deal from the Frenchies but this one even raise beyond my expectations. They way they dealt with anthropomorphism to make it both great and smart was brilliant, it was without flaws yet simplistic. I loved how they added the 'music' part in it, hopefully it appears in more comics in the future. Canales and Guarnido did great here. I think they used water colors here and it was literally like looking at pictures with beautiful details, much pleasent for the eye rather than the PC editing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)