Collina Awarded Honorary Doctrate (1 Viewer)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
December 28, 2003

HULL, England (AP) -

Just call him Dr. Collina

Pierluigi Collina, widely considered the world's No. 1 soccer referee, will be awarded an honorary doctorate by England's University of Hull.

The Italian will be presented with an honorary Doctor of Science degree at Hull city hall in July 2004, recognizing his contributions to the game.

Collina, who officiated the 2002 World Cup final in Yokohama, Japan, is easily recognizable for his bald head and piercing stare.

-------------------------

Dr. Pierluigi Collina.....that sounds :cool::cool:

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 27, 2003
Robocop Collina is arguably the best italian referee (and indeed the best referee "tout court") for a generation.

However he does spend quite a lot (perhaps too much?) time selling his image (in fact he is the first example of "star referee" there is) and he gets sumptuously paid for it.

This in my opinion overshadows the career of some otherwise excellent referees and deprives them somewhat of the credit they too deserve.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
there should be a one-eyed referee. now THAT would provide collina some competition.

but a doctorate of science? recognising his contribution to the game?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
However he does spend quite a lot (perhaps too much?) time selling his image (in fact he is the first example of "star referee" there is) and he gets sumptuously paid for it.
I was under the impression that he isn't comfortable with his star status, and does nothing to encourage it.

He's a great ref all the same.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
i think hes an excellent referee, collina, and that he deserves it. paparesta needs to work hard to succeed him.
Paparesta's a good ref, and i think he'll do fine, without needing to be world-famous or have a trademark look

Dec 27, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

I was under the impression that he isn't comfortable with his star status, and does nothing to encourage it.

Mikhail,

The fact that you can see him act in commercials or being a guest in TV programmes that are unrelated with football suggests the contrary...

I sometimes have the impression that Collina has become immune from criticizm : just yesterday he has sent Muzzi and Oddo off for very questionable reasons, and yet I see today that the Corriere gives him a 7.

Had De Santis or Racalbuto made those dubious decisions, they would already sit in the dock.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
The fact that you can see him act in commercials or being a guest in TV programmes that are unrelated with football suggests the contrary...
If someone offered me money to act ina commercial, I'd take it, however I felt about the lime-light. The tv programs is a little differant alright, but I'd love to be on a respectable chat show (not the Jenny Jones variety). It wouldn't necessarily mean I'm looking for the lime-light, just honoured to be asked to appear.

I sometimes have the impression that Collina has become immune from criticizm : just yesterday he has sent Muzzi and Oddo off for very questionable reasons, and yet I see today that the Corriere gives him a 7.

Had De Santis or Racalbuto made those dubious decisions, they would already sit in the dock.
I can't comment on that. I only get to see him occasionally refereeing internationals or European games, and he's always been eeriely accurate in his calls. Do allow for mistakes though - he is presumably only human, and he's not responsable for the Corriere.

Aug 1, 2003
oh i like de sanctis and racalbuto.
and of course mr andy garcia's paparesta.
but kaiser franco, if the companies offered him money for commercials, i mean its just COMMERCIALS, why wouldn't he say no?

and although he might have made some bad decisions lets not forget he has made some good ones too.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
At the moment Paparesta is better than Collina. If you would ask me before the season started I would say Collina. It's not like Collina made a huge mistake or anything, it's just that Papresta is even better at not messing into the game and letting it flow.

But there's not doubt whatsoever that Collina is the best when it comes to refs outside Italy.

P.S. Is Paparesta in CL or maybe or in Uefa? I haven't spotted it him yet and I'm not sure. He was though a 4th ref at one of Slovenia's matches (against France) in the EU04 qualifiers :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)