Clubs propose reserves enter Serie B? (1 Viewer)

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Clubs propose reserves enter Serie B

The Italian League is reportedly considering a proposal put forward to allow reserve teams to compete at Serie B and Lega Pro level.

It is one suggestion put forward this week at a conference chaired by Arrigo Sacchi at Coverciano and attended by the heads of youth development at each of Serie A's teams.

Their aim at the meeting is to work towards improving the country's recent track record of producing young Italian footballers.

This particular initiative would be similar to that seen in Spain, where the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Villarreal have reserve 'B' teams competing as high as the Segunda Division, the equivalent to Italy's Serie B.

The idea is that clubs in Italy would then be able to give primavera players a taste of regular competitive football at the professional level.

Tuttosport reports that Fiorentina and Milan are the first to put their names to the proposal, and that Juventus are also in favour of the scheme.

Sacchi is also believed to support the idea, unlike Serie B President Andrea Abodi, who instead wants to develop FIGC's focus on improving infrastructure at clubs.

FI

This would be great for us if we can send the future Giovincos and Pasquatos to our B team to let them gain experience and stop them scoring against us while their on loan at some midtable Serie A club.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
What if the reserves squad get promoted from Serie B?

The best thing would be to set up a separate Reserves League or do like Germany and have the reserves compete in a lower division like Serie C.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
That's what I figured, but I think it would still make the standings look screwy. Probably best to keep them in the 3rd divisions.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
What if the reserves squad get promoted from Serie B?

The best thing would be to set up a separate Reserves League or do like Germany and have the reserves compete in a lower division like Serie C.
If they finish in the promotion places then they don't get promoted, like Spain. The next club does.

I think the Lega Pro option is best, though. It allows either a full team or a maybe a tie up like Udinese have with Granada, where maybe 10 or so players are on loan at one time, that club plays the system of the parent club, etc. This would also mean no promotion for these B teams.

Serie B is strong enough to warrant individual clubs, but below that not so much.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Start by creating a reserve league, before thinking about putting teams into Serie B.

Once an ordinary reserve league is up and running, then consider adjusting it.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of reserve teams playing in Serie B. It would devalue the league.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Start by creating a reserve league, before thinking about putting teams into Serie B.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of reserve teams playing in Serie B. It would devalue the league.
:agree: It would favour the bigger clubs but hurt the small fry's revenue--match day revenue would be hit hard and probably TV rights.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yes, I agreed too back in my previous post. There are many clubs the next step down (Lega Pro) barely surviving though, and if some kind of partnership in terms of an adoptive team can be found then it could be beneficial. Local fans get to see better players and their team survive (many end up back in the regional leagues from bankruptcy), local players get to develope alongside them, the contentious issue is in terms of promotions. They certainly won't be allowed to face the parent clubs in the same league anyway.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

Who cares? It would re-value (?) our Primavera. That's the only thing that matters.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Best is to put the reserve team in Lega Pro, as there is going to be a limit on the age of the players, and it probably isn't very good for the younger players confidence if they get their asses handed to them on a weekly basis by more experienced players

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)