closeminded people (1 Viewer)

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
i was just standing in the bathroom, washing my face and started thinking about it. i know i can be pretty closeminded sometimes, no matter how much i try to avoid it. and i really don't understand why !
why do we deny things without even thinking about them ? why can't we just give it a shot ?
do we do it not to look stupid infront of others? but if other people see that you're closeminded prick i think it's much worse than being wrong about something.
or is it the "i'm always right" thing ? kidna like i'm the perfect guy and everything i think is right ...... but then that would be lying to yourself - you must not be so sure of you being right if you're afraid to think about other options/ possibilities.
uh why is it so hard to accept the fact that we're WRONG a lot of times?

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I think a lot of the time, it's not about "I'm perfect, so i'm right". It's like the objectivity/subjectivity discussion we had a while back. It's not about ego or anything, but just the fact that we all have our own opinions, and in our minds, of course we're gonna think that our opinions and preconceptions are more correct than others.

OP
Vicky

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    gray,
    which is kinda silly b/c it makes us not pay any attention to other people's opinnions and think logically
    would be kinda cool if we all got together and got over it
    that would make our lifes much easier

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    My parents never valued raising me extremely decent but one lesson they taught me I am very thankful for. Every single day of every week I lived in my parents house they would hammer on the importance of not forming an opinion unless you have a some basic information in the very least.

I was basically indoctrinated with this theory and I'm very happy with that!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Well obviously it's never 100% but at least I was taught how to take a step back and at least TRY to look at things objectively :)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    i cant think like that. i always have an opinion formed before i even know some facts.

guess i'm close minded.
    yeah, you could add that to the list too... ;)
    After the damaged good thing, the list is getting pretty full :p

:D

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    for me a lot of the times why im close minded is because im afraid of what my friends will think.

either that, or im close minded because there are certain things i stick to that i cannot let go of.

but often its because people are afraid of change

OP
    Vicky

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #14
    yeah that makes sense
    i'm for some reason afraid of new things and difficult desicions ... uh i wonder where that comes from
    don't wanna mess up ? afraid we're not gonna like something

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    that's not really narrow-mindedness anymore though, now we're getting into resisting change and the like.

I love trying new things, and if it doesn't work out the way i plan, then there's always a valuable lesson learned

OP
    Vicky

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    uh i guess i just hate being turned down
    i don't do good either when i try the new things

Aug 1, 2003
    I don't think I'm close minded. But rather I give in because everytime I deliver my opinion some people would just be so harsh on it that I'll just nod blindly and saying "uh-huh" but I disagree inside.

So I don't think that qualifies as close minded....

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    I don't think I'm close minded. But rather I give in because everytime I deliver my opinion some people would just be so harsh on it that I'll just nod blindly and saying "uh-huh" but I disagree inside.

So I don't think that qualifies as close minded....
    Because you don't accept their ideas but pretend you do? Isn't that just being close minded and wasting their time? :p

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    i am accpeting i am wrong to some ppl.
    i would NEVER accept i am wrong to my mom ex.

and...about the pther things.
    there are some things,like drugs,that i would never try even for once

Aug 1, 2003
    Oh yeah, you have a point there.

I would like to discuss different opinions together, but at times I could not handle harsh comments :D my weakspot, you could say.

well I am semi-close-minded then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)