Claudio Marchisio (32 Viewers)

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
yes it is, its part of his game.

The player himself said it best:

After all last year I wasn’t playing so badly, but seeing me score goals changes a viewer’s perception. Goals put you into the spotlight, all eyes on you. In fact I noticed that in recent games, where I’ve stopped scoring, a few opinions have already changed about me. If I don’t score, people won’t even notice how many balls I retrieve.”

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
^ :lol:

that's like saying if Buffon didn't make saves he'd be shit.
Well not really. A keepers sole duty is to keep the ball out the back of the net. Marchisio as a CM has a variety of duties in midfield. Tackling, positioning, pressure and making key passes forward. Really its not even his responsibility to score goals which is why I find it ironic that as a midfielder his best quality is one of a forward.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
May 23, 2010

He only says how he finds himself in the spotlight when he scores, which happens to every player that scores often.

The fact that he scores or doesn't, shouldn't affect the perception one has of other areas of his game.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008

Well my opinion doesn't change that easily. I still watch how Marchisio plays in midfield and although he's played a few excellent games he still lacks consistency. Naturally goal scoring increases his value as a player but is he a good midfielder? I'm still not so convinced by him. He would probably make a better forward given his control and finishing ability not to mention how he links up with strikers.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
Why wouldn't you believe it? He was invisible. Hell, he still under performs and often goes missing in midfield. If it weren't for his bursts forward he would not be such a valuable midfielder.
Please point out in which games this season he's under performed and went missing in the midfield.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Please point out in which games this season he's under performed and went missing in the midfield.
I would be better off pointing out the games he did perform very well in midfield because even in games we dominated he wasn't highly influential. The Milan game sticks out the most to me.. again invisible until he scored. I have every game downloaded and I watched every game played this season twice at least. I'm not going to watch them all again and list them for you but try watching those games again. He doesn't make many tackles and he doesn't make many key passes. He could be a much much better player than he is.

Before all you Marchisio fan boys get your knickers in a knot, just realise that I do value Marchisio but only for his dangerous forward bursts. Otherwise there isn't really anything about his midfield game that is highly influential. He definitely can be good as I've seen him a handful of times this season but he doesn't do it often enough. Regardless of that I would still have him in the first 11 every time because you never know when he can go forward and score.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
He only says how he finds himself in the spotlight when he scores, which happens to every player that scores often.

The fact that he scores or doesn't, shouldn't affect the perception one has of other areas of his game.
did you read the first sentence of the quote?

I would be better off pointing out the games he did perform very well in midfield because even in games we dominated he wasn't highly influential. The Milan game sticks out the most to me.. again invisible until he scored. I have every game downloaded and I watched every game played this season twice at least. I'm not going to watch them all again and list them for you but try watching those games again. He doesn't make many tackles and he doesn't make many key passes. He could be a much much better player than he is.

Before all you Marchisio fan boys get your knickers in a knot, just realise that I do value Marchisio but only for his dangerous forward bursts. Otherwise there isn't really anything about his midfield game that is highly influential. He definitely can be good as I've seen him a handful of times this season but he doesn't do it often enough. Regardless of that I would still have him in the first 11 every time because you never know when he can go forward and score.
so...you're not going to answer him then?

I'll go out on a limb, the away match to Roma I thought he was not up to scratch...there is another game against a minnow team that he was poor but can't recall it right now.

but if you're going to take potshots instead of addressing your claims then go right ahead.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
No, he's not 'invisible until he scored'--not at all, unless you want it to. He done some neat work with Vucinic that night; actually it was the first time we saw Vucinic and Marchisio worked wonderfully together. In fact they two were the biggest threat to Milan's defense but in the end Marchisio scored two goals. And scoring two winning goals is highly influential.

He's just not that kind of player who thinks he must do something brilliant once he has the ball, you just have to accept that he likes to move the ball and lifting the team together with team-mates around him instead of working through it by himself. And it actually suits an attacking like us now because we played possesion football. That makes us facing a lot of opponents who play with 11 men behind ball, which makes attempting passes into space difficult most of the time. The best example of this can be seen in Barca's matches. They don't attempt great passes most of the time but they act and move as a unit and keep the passes simple. As for the tackle, 'visible' tackles doesn't mean everything in defensive play. As a matter of fact he outdone Licht and Barzagli in that department according to whoscores.com, but does that mean Marchisio's better defensively?

Marchisio's situation is kind of unique, that's why appreciations of his game shouldn't be like the usual. That's why when the team isn't performing well, he looks worse (the example of this is the [video=youtube;VJBpYNoUDUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrKld0447mA"]Roma[/URL] and [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBpYNoUDUU[/video] matches) and when the the team is on fire, he performs really well. That's just the kind of player he is.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Why wouldn't you believe it? He was invisible. Hell, he still under performs and often goes missing in midfield. If it weren't for his bursts forward he would not be such a valuable midfielder.
Well not really. A keepers sole duty is to keep the ball out the back of the net. Marchisio as a CM has a variety of duties in midfield. Tackling, positioning, pressure and making key passes forward. Really its not even his responsibility to score goals which is why I find it ironic that as a midfielder his best quality is one of a forward.
:agree:

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
You knew yourself he was underperforming last season and often disappearing. Now you act like you were backing him last season and he played well :howler:
The whole fucking team under performed last season Melo. I just don't think Marchisio was close to the worst player or invisible. I don't know what you're getting at with this.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
so...you're not going to answer him then?

I'll go out on a limb, the away match to Roma I thought he was not up to scratch...there is another game against a minnow team that he was poor but can't recall it right now.

but if you're going to take potshots instead of addressing your claims then go right ahead.
Potshots? :lol: As if I were talking about your mother.. I didn't realise I had to give an essay long post in reply to any post defending Marchisio. You better just take my word for it or go and watch the games yourself like I did. I watch every game at least twice and I watch them thoroughly. If you can't be bothered doing the same then don't be bothered replying to me.

No, he's not 'invisible until he scored'--not at all, unless you want it to. He done some neat work with Vucinic that night; actually it was the first time we saw Vucinic and Marchisio worked wonderfully together. In fact they two were the biggest threat to Milan's defense but in the end Marchisio scored two goals. And scoring two winning goals is highly influential.

He's just not that kind of player who thinks he must do something brilliant once he has the ball, you just have to accept that he likes to move the ball and lifting the team together with team-mates around him instead of working through it by himself. And it actually suits an attacking like us now because we played possesion football. That makes us facing a lot of opponents who play with 11 men behind ball, which makes attempting passes into space difficult most of the time. The best example of this can be seen in Barca's matches. They don't attempt great passes most of the time but they act and move as a unit and keep the passes simple. As for the tackle, 'visible' tackles doesn't mean everything in defensive play. As a matter of fact he outdone Licht and Barzagli in that department according to whoscores.com, but does that mean Marchisio's better defensively?

Marchisio's situation is kind of unique, that's why appreciations of his game shouldn't be like the usual. That's why when the team isn't performing well, he looks worse (the example of this is the Roma and Bologna matches) and when the the team is on fire, he performs really well. That's just the kind of player he is.
Like I said I can't be bothered going through every game again but I can say that during the Milan game he was very quiet and you should rewatch that game. The game against Siena was his worst so far he did nearly everything wrong especially in the first half - misplacing passes and applying zero pressure. He's had games in the same vein of poor passing and pressure but to a lesser extent and he's saved face with the goals he's scored several times.

Tactical positioning is only one of the duties he has as a midfielder. I don't expect him to pass like Pirlo or tackle like Vidal but I've seen him do good things with and without the ball which unfortunately, he can't manage to do consistently. Fan boys speak as though its so brilliant how Marchisio knows how to position himself but in truth that should be a given for every player at this level.

Truly world class players use their technique or show their fighting spirit using their physicality. Marchisio, as a midfielder just isn't even close to world class yet despite his ability.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
Like I said I can't be bothered going through every game again but I can say that during the Milan game he was very quiet and you should rewatch that game. The game against Siena was his worst so far he did nearly everything wrong especially in the first half - misplacing passes and applying zero pressure. He's had games in the same vein of poor passing and pressure but to a lesser extent and he's saved face with the goals he's scored several times.
LOL of all the matches, you chose Milan and the fact that you constantly saying that he's 'very quite' or something in that match says a lot. I'm afraid there's just something in your judgement or observations which is pretty much different with mine.

I rest my case.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011

I don't want to lose much time with this, but I just loved this passage. Firstly, that's false. Secondly, you seem a person still living in the 60s and watching EPL. Just saying...

Didn't you ever heard about the word "movement" in the modern game?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)