[CL] Liverpool - Juventus (1 Viewer)

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
We suck, it's quite sad really. What was it, 2 decent chances in the whole 90 minutes? Pathetic beyond belief.
..hard to admit, but true Martin. Why can't we beat English opposition?
I'm ****ing immigrating to anywhere..the grave preferably in my current mood.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Muscolino9 ] ++

..hard to admit, but true Martin. Why can't we beat English opposition?
I'm ****ing immigrating to anywhere..the grave preferably in my current mood.
I just honestly think we under-estimated them, or thought we were so much better than them that we didn't have to bother too hard.

Apr 26, 2004
Champions League quarter-final first leg ended with a 2-1 win for Liverpool. Reds started with a high pace and took a double lead with Hyypia and Luis Garcia. Then Juventus caught up in the final minutes into the first half, when Ibrahimovic hit the post and in the second half they got back on the pitch with great determination, with Cannavaro’s precious 2-1 goal. Next Wednesday, qualification will be at stakes at Delle Alpi.

Before the match, the two club commemorate the Heysel victims, honoured by Michel Platini and Ian Rush in the middle of the playground. Fans from both sides at Anfield give an emotional applause. Liverpool fans display a mosaic featuring the word “Amicizia”, the same that will appear next week at Delle Alpi. With the teams on the pitch, a minute of silence is respected for Pope John Paul II.

The match starts with a high tempo and Liverpool try to worry the Bianconeri’s defence with Baros and his teammates. And it’s the home side who takes the lead after 10 minutes: after a corner from Gerrard, Luis Garcia flicks on and Hyypia volleys in (1-0). The Bianconeri cannot react back and Liverpool take advantage of that, getting more dangerous in a couple of occasions and taking the 2-0 lead on 25’ minutes when Luis Garcia surprises Buffon with a volley. Two goals down, Juventus finally react: Ibrahimovic, served by Nedved, hits Carson’s right post. Then a flash action from Baros, whose finish ends high over the crossbar and again it’s Juventus in attack with Del Piero, but the captain’s shot after Nedved’s assist is cleared for a corner. On 34’ minutes, Buffon counters a left-footed shot from Baros, while the last few minutes into the first half is marked by the Bianconeri, when Del Piero’s drive deflected into the corner, Zambrotta’s finish is saved and Del Piero’s goal is made null by the captain’s offside.

During the break Capello replaces Blasi with Pessotto. The second half shows a completely changed Juventus; they are now in control of the game while Liverpool withdraw to defend their double lead. Del Piero, Ibrahimovic and Nedved try to go on goal on several occasions, but they fail. It’s Cannavaro’s turn to succeed. On 18’ minutes, the Naples-born defender heads in a powerful cross from Zambrotta (2-1). Meanwhile, Capello had substituted Del Piero with Trezeguet. After the goal by Bianconeri, Benitez replaces Baros with Nunez and later Le Tallec with Smicer. On 26’ minutes, Riise’s drive is deflected out for a corner. Juventus try two attacks, one quite dangerous, but Trezeguet misses Ibrahimovic’s cross (34’). One minute later, Zebina gets injured during an attack from Liverpool and he must make way to Montero. In the final minutes of the second half, the Bianconeri still try to get the draw but Benitez’s side keeps good guard. The return leg is scheduled next Wednesday at Delle Alpi.

LIVERPOOL-JUVENTUS 2-1
GOALS: 10’fh Hyypia, 25’fh Luis Garcia, 18’sh Cannavaro
LIVERPOOL: Carson, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Traore, Luis Garcia, Biscan, Gerrard, Riise, Le Tallec (27’sh Smicer), Baros (21’sh Nunez). Coach: Benitez. Substitutes: Dudek, Smicer, Xabi Alonso, Nunez, Warnock, Welsh, Potter.
JUVENTUS: Buffon, Zebina (35’sh Montero), Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Blasi (1’sh Pessotto), Emerson, Nedved, Ibrahimovic, Del Piero (15’sh Trezeguet). Coach: Capello. Substitutes: Chimenti, Montero, Pessotto, Trezeguet, Appiah, Olivera, Zalayeta.
REFEREE: De Bleeckere
ATTENDANCE: 41.216

Apr 26, 2004
“We just did not play for the first half-hour: we were not aggressive, we did not attack deep and spread out. We conceded two goals and could not take advantage of the occasions we had. Then we fortunately got back on track and could play a good second half”. Fabio Capello admits Juventus’ faults as they conceded Liverpool too much, but as a whole he’s satisfied with his squad’s performance, which keeps qualification within reach: “It was a complicated match to be played on a difficult field: they give their best on the home pitch. As I said, it’s hard to find the right match tempo after such a long break. After the 2-0, however, I saw great determination in everyone and we proved we can do great”. And the Bianconeri’s schedule is going to turn hectic, with 6 matches to play in three weeks: “We’ll have to make use of turnover to find fresh legs but considering how we played tonight’s second half-time, I’m sure that the team’s physical condition is excellent.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)