CL: Galatasaray - Juventus Postponed (1 Viewer)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
The UEFA Champions League Group D match between Turkish side Galatasaray SK and Italians Juventus FC, scheduled to be played next Tuesday at the Atatürk Olimpiyat stadium in Istanbul, has been postponed by one week, and has been reset for Tuesday 2 December.

Bomb attacks
UEFA decided to postpone the game in the wake of bomb attacks in Istanbul today which led to numerous fatalities. European football's governing body said that it had taken the decision after reviewing the security situation with the relevant authorities.

UEFA Cup postponement
The UEFA Cup second round second-leg tie between Israel's Maccabi Haifa FC and Spanish side Valencia CF, due to take place next Thursday at the Alsancak Stadium in Izmir, has also been postponed after the Istanbul attacks. The new date and venue for this match have yet to be fixed. The game was due to be played in Turkey as a result of UEFA's ban on teams from Israel playing European competition matches at home.

Seriousness of incidents
"UEFA has decided to postpone the most imminent matches coming up in UEFA competitions in Turkey next week, given the seriousness of the incidents that took place in Istanbul this morning and the current confusion on the ground," said UEFA's director of competition operations, Jacob Erel.

Close monitor
"Over the next few days, we will be closely monitoring the overall security situation in Turkey, together with the relevant authorities, and will remain in constant contact with the clubs and national associations concerned regarding any forthcoming matches scheduled in Turkey."

:groan::fero::frown::down:

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 28, 2002
i want uefa to cancel this match or to be played in a neutral venue. things that happen in turkey are ****ed up. it reminds me of 11/9/2001. that's scary.

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Ferrari^M ] ++
It's a shame those people died. Football comes second now... let them weep their dead.
they're dead, nothing will bring them back wheter football will be playd or not. but security of team is on cards. playing that game both teams would be a great target.

OP
Dragon

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Yeah, of course it'll remind you of 9/11 it was done by the same group:

Shortly after Thursday's bombings, a government office in Istanbul received a phone call claiming to be from al Qaeda and a Turkish Islamic militant group --the Great Eastern Islamic Raiders' Front (IBDA-C) -- claiming joint responsibility, CNN Turk reported.

It really sucks stuff like this happens and what sucks the most is that once again innocent people die

Aug 1, 2003
    personally i think either bush or blair planned it (yeah, unbelievable, i know) but im just stating my opinion :D

this sucks man, i was really looking forward to that match. innalillahi wainna ila hi roji'un to those who died. god bless.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    I gree with Fliakis that it should be played at a neutral venue or not played at all.

(I don't wanna sound non-sympathetic about the innocent people who died, but i can't help saying that Juve will be fully rested for the game versus Inter while Inter will be coming off a tough game vs Arsenal)

OP
    Dragon

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++

(I don't wanna sound non-sympathetic about the innocent people who died, but i can't help saying that Juve will be fully rested for the game versus Inter while Inter will be coming off a tough game vs Arsenal)

Haha, yees!! :extatic:

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    Our Coppa Italia match vs Siena that was supposed to be played on Dec 2nd has been postponed too since the Galatasaray game is supposed to be played on the same day.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    why would Al Qaeda want to bomb Turkey :confused:

so we will play the match on Dec 2 huh...oh well.. lucky we already qualified and our concentration wont be disturbed becoz of thiz...

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    why would Al Qaeda want to bomb Turkey :confused:

ohh.. so any new date when they will play the match?
    ++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++
    Our Coppa Italia match vs Siena that was supposed to be played on Dec 2nd has been postponed too since the Galatasaray game is supposed to be played on the same day.

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)