[CL] Champions League 2014/15 (8 Viewers)

Who do you want us to face in 1/2?

• Barcelona

• Real Madrid

• Bayern

Results are only viewable after voting.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
http://www.espnfc.com/club/juventus...credit-for-conquering-juventus-european-fears

is not a direct response or complimentary over what we currently talk about but nevertheless relevant...

in some ways it can be said that we were actually over estimating our opponents when we was in "conte mode", didn't help that all those famous bitching conte spewed from his mouth about restaurants and construction sites :sergio:
:agree:

This is exactly what I thought. Conte seemed to think it was a good idea to treat even the minnow teams both in Europe and Serie A as though they were the exact same as teams like Real Madrid. We went into a math against Copenhagen with the same pressure as one against Real Madrid.

It wasn't Conte's style to relax and ease pressure, but that's exactly what our players needed in Europe. The constant and overbearing pressure caused them to crack and play very poorly, especially in terms of the mental game, things like finishing, and defensive blunders, that can go massively awry when the pressure gets to players.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Tactically Dortmund and Monaco are very different.

Dortmund play with a high defensive line and use counter pressing to regain lost possession, it leaves them exposed at the back. Basically they defend as a team from the front.

Monaco sit deep and hit teams on the break, typical counter attacking team like Atletico madrid. If they lose possession they retreat and organize unlike dortmund who press high up in numbers.
True, there are obviously large differences between the two teams, with Monaco there's pretty much none of that famous Gegenpressing Dortmund employs.

However, my main point was that at least against Arsenal, Monaco only ever created chances on the counter, when their pacy wingers had acres of space to work with. I've got to admit that apart from the games against Marseille and Lyon I haven't seen any of their other fixtures this season, but Monaco to me seems like the type of team who struggles when facing a team that plays defensively and sits deep. In that regard they could be similar to Dortmund.

happybum

Oct 23, 2014
The problem with Monaco is that they're inevitably going to sit back and absorb pressure. Does this team have enough know how to break them down? It was a great display on the counter vs. BvB but now it's up to Allegri to make sure the team plays a great possession based match.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
The problem with Monaco is that they're inevitably going to sit back and absorb pressure. Does this team have enough know how to break them down? It was a great display on the counter vs. BvB but now it's up to Allegri to make sure the team plays a great possession based match.
Because we never deal with teams sitting back on us...hmmmm...hmmm will Allegri find a way?

Aug 26, 2014
i think we got enough firepower up front to score at least two goals at home and a solid enough defence so we don't concede, then w8 for them on the counter in the away game. Of course it won't be so easy but if we put on a performance as we did with bvb we can do it.

Mister

Apr 4, 2014
True, there are obviously large differences between the two teams, with Monaco there's pretty much none of that famous Gegenpressing Dortmund employs.

However, my main point was that at least against Arsenal, Monaco only ever created chances on the counter, when their pacy wingers had acres of space to work with. I've got to admit that apart from the games against Marseille and Lyon I haven't seen any of their other fixtures this season, but Monaco to me seems like the type of team who struggles when facing a team that plays defensively and sits deep. In that regard they could be similar to Dortmund.
Monaco are a defensive minded team, even when they attack ( possession / counter ) they are cautious and dont throw too many players forward. They prefer to remain organized.

If we give them possession they wont allow us the kind of space to counter like dortmund did, the game could be end up being a stalemate.

Do you think Monaco's counter attacking threat warrants a change in our tactical approach.? Ignore arsenal's game - Slow Cb mertesacker playing in a high line without man marking is suicidal.

Personally with pirlo i rather we control the game than have him press trying to win possession and based on the technical ability of our players we should be able to break monaco down.

Mar 3, 2014
Another added bonus is that Pirlo shouldn't be much of a liability against a team like Monaco that doesn't really attack through the centre of the pitch...
Also, Berbatov won't put too much pressure on our backline or even our central midfield. He's a pretty lethargic player.
He's the polar opposite to Mandzukic who makes things very tough on Pirlo. I'd guess Pirlo finds plenty of space to make magic. He just needs to find that breakthrough.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Also, Berbatov won't put too much pressure on our backline or even our central midfield. He's a pretty lethargic player.
He's the polar opposite to Mandzukic who makes things very tough on Pirlo. I'd guess Pirlo finds plenty of space to make magic. He just needs to find that breakthrough.
But at the same time he can decide to backheel lob Buffon from 25m. Immense player, we should not underestimate him.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Pirlo is a big quesiton mark. If we play 4-3-1-2 then I guess he has to play but in a 3-5-2 I'd rather just use Pereyra-Marchisio-Vidal.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
But at the same time he can decide to backheel lob Buffon from 25m. Immense player, we should not underestimate him.
:lol: dat bias, berbatov is gonna flopatov

- - - Updated - - -

just realised the first leg is on the morning of my bday, must be a good sign :D

happybum

Oct 23, 2014
Shouldn't Monaco's overly defensive style suit us perfectly? I mean that's what we face on a weekly basis in Serie A.
Outside of Italy teams don't just sit back, but they also press which makes things very difficult. Juventus wins by very small margins, even though it's on a consistent basis. That margin is made even smaller when teams come out and press.

As it weird as it may sound, with Pogba out, I think facing a Madrid or Barcelona would be just as risky as facing Monaco. Allegri will at least have the reassurance that Monaco was shit in the second leg against Arsenal.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Well, after dismantling Dortmund in an epic display, we got (arguably) the easiest team left in the competition. However, we should not underestimate them, and do our best to take a 2 goal cushion and a clean sheet to the Principality.

Monaco are a solid defensive team, and have young players who are dangerous on the break.

It will be tough without Pogba, but hopefully he will be back for the Semis (provided we take Monaco seriously and dispose of them, as we should).

I really believe this could be our year. If we get all our players back in time for the Semis, and Atletico Madrid and PSG or Porto cause a shock in the Quarters, it isn't inconceivable that we go all the way. Forza Juve.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Outside of Italy teams don't just sit back, but they also press which makes things very difficult. Juventus wins by very small margins, even though it's on a consistent basis. That margin is made even smaller when teams come out and press.

As it weird as it may sound, with Pogba out, I think facing a Madrid or Barcelona would be just as risky as facing Monaco. Allegri will at least have the reassurance that Monaco was $#@! in the second leg against Arsenal.
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, after dismantling Dortmund in an epic display, we got (arguably) the easiest team left in the competition. However, we should not underestimate them, and do our best to take a 2 goal cushion and a clean sheet to the Principality.

Monaco are a solid defensive team, and have young players who are dangerous on the break.

It will be tough without Pogba, but hopefully he will be back for the Semis (provided we take Monaco seriously and dispose of them, as we should).

I really believe this could be our year. If we get all our players back in time for the Semis, and Atletico Madrid and PSG or Porto cause a shock in the Quarters, it isn't inconceivable that we go all the way. Forza Juve.
Its not just the easiest team in the competition but also an easy team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)