Choosing a laptop. (1 Viewer)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
IBMs are excellent, but rather expensive. everyone I know with a VAIO says they're wonderful. I had a HP for a couple months, but it completely tanked, for no good reason. RAM controller failure or something, and my bro's HP that he bought last year is now having electrical problems with the power/battery. I bought a macbook pro, and it's awesome, but extremely expensive. the multimedia software really is superb though. iPhoto isn't pro-level, but for most users it's plenty, and much better than what you get for free on a windows machine! as for Vista, if you like gaming, go with XP. if you want security and looks, go with OS X or leopard when it comes out.

for general performance, an extra gig of RAM will make a much bigger difference than getting a better processor. ESPECIALLY if you are going from 1 gig to 2. core 2 duo is better than core duo, but again extra RAM is probably going to give you a bigger performance boost. if you want to game, you MUST have something more than integrated/shared graphics! many lower-end HPs, Dells, etc have stickers and/or advertise ATI X700/NVIDIA Ge 7200 GO, but when you look carefully, they are NOT true discrete graphics. if you want the best gaming, go with NVIDIA 8xxx or ATI HD 26xx mobile graphics.
if gaming is not important, and you want something small-ish, stylish, great software, and well-made, you'll want a macbook. for the windows version (ie crap software, more gaming, crap security, and ugly-assed OS) get a VAIO. which you can of course configure, which is nice, so you can get exactly what you want, where as with macs you are somewhat limited. BUT you can run windows on a mac now, which is nice.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
vista, barely. seriously, 2 gigs should be your baseline. of course, you could always upgrade to 2 gigs yourself. but I wouldn't recommend staying at 1 gig, because for average computing it makes a huge difference

Sep 28, 2002
i think i'll go for this:
Dell Inspiron 1520 NB Core 2 Duo T7100 1.8GHz/15.4"/2GB/160GB/DVD+-RW/GeForce Go 8400M GS/WLAN/BT/Vista Premium.

too bad dell people i have to deal at work with are such cunts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)