Chievo and Hellas Verona to merge? (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
I read on the Gazzetta the other day that, as both Chievo and Verona's boards are currently experiencing some financial problems, the two teams are considering a merger.

Verona are on the verge of relegation to serie C whereas Chievo's President, who owns a company that produces "Panettone", struggles to support the strain of financing a serie A team on his own. Merging with their city "rivals" (in fact the fans on both sides love and respect each other) would also allow Chievo to further extend its growing fan base.

If a merger takes place, the new team will retain the name Hellas Verona.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
hmm, I read about it few days ago too..

if this happen.. the new team will be tough.. but, they will let some players go, right? we can get some good players from them..

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well it's a casae of the lesser of two evils.

Two hated rivals join forces to form a solid Serie A squad, or they both dissolve, and verona is left without a team.

If this were to ever happen with Torino and Juventus, I'm sure most of us would select the first option rather than have nothing.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stupendous Man ] ++
If this were to ever happen with Torino and Juventus, I'm sure most of us would select the first option rather than have nothing.
Even if it means supporting "Torino" in the future? :p

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Even if it means supporting "Torino" in the future? :p
Well, its easy to have an opinion when there aren't any teams involved that we are fans of, but its a whole different story if it did.

I don't think that they would adopt the Torino moniker, anyway. They'd be throwing away a veritalble marketing casah cow if the Juventus brand was dropped.

OP
Kaiser Franco
Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by Stupendous Man ] ++
    Well it's a casae of the lesser of two evils.

Two hated rivals join forces to form a solid Serie A squad, or they both dissolve, and verona is left without a team.
    That's the point : Verona and Chievo do not hate each other. Chievo was just a provincial club until a few years ago, so there has never been a historic rivalry splitting the city in two camps. Verona happily accepted to share its stadium with Chievo when the latter joined the serie A, and its fans rejoiced at having two teams from their city in the élite. And when Verona got relegated, the Chievo fans hardly celebrated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)