Chelsea to poach Davids (1 Viewer)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Chelsea to poach Davids
Monday 5 July, 2004

Chelsea are understood to have beaten Inter in the race to sign Edgar Davids – but the Nerazzurri may net another Dutchman.

The Italian media were convinced that the 31-year-old would join the San Siro outfit, yet that may not be the case.

Davids, a free agent now after his Juventus contract expired, has spent the last couple of days talking to a number of Premiership clubs.

Spurs thought they had jumped to the front of the queue for his services but now Chelsea have made a move.

They are reportedly ready to offer £80,000-a-week for the midfielder, almost double what the Italian side were prepared to pay.

Meanwhile, Inter are being strongly associated with Holland international Marc Overmars.

The winger, whose Barcelona contract expires in 2005, is being viewed as an alternative to Cesar.

The Lazio midfielder is the club’s primary transfer objective but they could swoop for Overmars if they fail to agree a fee with the capital club for the Brazilian.

Newspaper reports suggest that the former Arsenal player could arrive on loan with an option of making the move permanent next summer.

Football Italia

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 19, 2003
I wanted to see him do something good for the Spurs, but I guess at 31, money should be the most important thing. He's only got a few years left in football and he should squeeze as much money as he can out of that. Good Luck to him.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
I wanted to see him do something good for the Spurs, but I guess at 31, money should be the most important thing. He's only got a few years left in football and he should squeeze as much money as he can out of that. Good Luck to him.
Shouldn't he have accumulated enough money by now that money doesn't matter so much for him? A lot of old players go to the MLS or play for their old hometown clubs or something... greedy footballers :moan:

Jul 19, 2003
What has MLS got to do with it? :LOL: I don't see what would lure anyone there (anyone who's able to compete at the highest levels that is) than money.

I'm sure he's got plenty of money, but adding to the fact he's going for a new experience, playing for a fairly strong club, he's also satisfying his pocket.......winning on all fronts.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
They say Davids will be getting 3.5 million euros a season. Anybody remember how much was he making in Juve?

That is not yet official btw.

OP
The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    Adriano welcomes Davids
    Tuesday 6 July, 2004

Adriano feels that Inter will be serious title contenders if they complete the expected capture of Edgar Davids.

The Dutchman, a free agent, has been heavily linked with Spurs and Chelsea over the last few days but the Italian media are confident he will move to the Nerazzurri instead.

His agent Robert Geerlings was in Milan last night where a three-year deal worth £2.5m a term is believed to have been agreed.

"I can’t wait to start the season with Coach Roberto Mancini," Adriano told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

"With Juan Veron, Esteban Cambiasso and Davids in the team we could finally get our hands on Lo Scudetto.

"It’s satisfying to have these players alongside you. I believe a great Inter side is being born."

Adriano is set to be a key figure for the club next season, especially as doubts remain over the future of Christian Vieri.

"I’m not affected by the responsibility," added the January signing from Parma. "It’s not easy to cope with expectation.

"But I did well in the last two League games of the season last time around when we managed to qualify for the Champions’ League."

However, the youngster is now just focused on his country with the Copa America about to start.

"I will show that I am worthy of this shirt," added the Brazilian. "This tournament is a great opportunity for me and I want to make the most of it."

Football Italia

OP
    The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #14
    Inter favourites for Davids
    Tuesday, 06 July 2004

by Nadia Carminati :
    Internazionale are the new red-hot favourites to sign Edgar Davids after Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho withdrew from the race for the Dutchman's signature.

The Holland star has been exploring the possibility of coming to The Premiership with Liverpool and Tottenham two of the other clubs on his trail.

However, Italian sources have always been bullish about Inter's chances of capturing the 31-year-old and rumours are rife that the Neroazzurri are now primed to win the chase.

Davids's agents have been busy discovering all the options open to the much-coveted midfielder and the lure of England has been strong for the experienced international.

Barcelona's season was sparked by the arrival of the Juventus man last term, but they were unable to agree a financial package to keep him at Camp Nou on a permanent basis.

Davids is finally expected to announce his future this week, with Inter anticipated as his next destination.

River

Jun 15, 2004
    Why is Davids being such an idiot. And what the heck is keeping him on making up his mind. Jez its been a year or more now.

Instead of talking crap like 'In a few days I will tell where im going etc' why doesnt he just sort it out already.

Im tired of davids headlines.

BFC82

Oct 24, 2003
    It will add a little something extra to the Italian Derby....lets hope our winning streak against Juve continues through next season.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    Why is Davids being such an idiot. And what the heck is keeping him on making up his mind. Jez its been a year or more now.

Instead of talking crap like 'In a few days I will tell where im going etc' why doesnt he just sort it out already.

Im tired of davids headlines.
    Very true. What Davids doesn't realize is that he is not 21, but 31. This "fooling around" with clubs will eventually get him into Rivaldo's shoes.

Should have accepted the Juventus offer in the first place, before he was loaned to Barca! Bastard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)