Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (7 Viewers)

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #483
    They didn't do a good job, did they?
    I highly doubt any of us are in a position to evaluate the DCRI. They have prevented five attacks on French soil the last 18 months.

You can't catch them all unless you'll liek to live in North Korea.

But don't worry there will be an enquiry.

- - - Updated - - -

What I really find sad about this attack is that 'we' have tighten the law, we have increased our funds to our intelligence services and we've been to war the last 13 years in "The War against Terror" yet non of that have decreased the likelihood of an terrorist attack quite the contrary.

How I wish that the politicians across 'The West' would consider if there's other ways to go than the usual.

We need to realise in Europe that we have grown many of these terrorists in our backyards and therefore they are our responsibility as well.

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #485
    Btw. another hostage situation in a kosher shop in East Paris. Apparently the dude who killed the female officer yesterday and has some sort of relation to one of the brothers is the man behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Is any one watching the TV?

Police is chasing them, it looks like a movie.
    That's a another situation in NE Paris.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    you are adding new elements to the definition, but fine i'll roll with that, except for iran no country has had islam changed its political situations, on the other hand theres countless example of israle/us/uk engaging in regular, global, overt and covert(terrorist) operations to topple governments and change political spectrum in a country.

I dont think you are approaching this in an academic manner, had you said i dont think the 2 cultures(west and islam) are not compatible, i could accept that point of view but to say that terrorism is in inherent in islam is simply ignorant imo

But I never said that... Maddy put those words in my mouth. I know it's not inherent in Islam. What I am saying is that somehow it is, in the recent past, often linked.

Am I wrong in thinking that is a completely different point?

Also, yes you are right in saying that it very difficult to define terrorism. It's one of those things where we all know what is meant, yet it is very difficult to give a clear, distinct and most importantly workable definition.

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    - IS claimed responsibility for what happened in Paris and said that there is much more to follow the coming period, UK and US are next.
    - Two shooters of Charlie Hebdo are surrounded by french police in some printing house with one hostager.
    - Shooter from the other murder is in a supermarkt and has several hostages (5 is said), 2 persons already killed.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/08/us-centralafrica-inquiry-idUSKBN0KH2BM20150108

But who cares? Some careless cartoonists in Paris are much more important...

That is very rich coming from you. All you ever have attention for is Palestina. One could go on and on about the massacres happening in the Congo on a daily basis, but truth is there are many crises in the world and one sometimes gets more attention than the other. Perhaps it's not right, but it's unavoidable. People care about this crisis, because they feel there is a real risk their lives might change due to terrorism. And in some cases, it has.

And the cartoonists are important because of what they represent. I never read the magazine, didn't know them and am not particularly interested to find out much about them as the first things I saw were rather vulgar.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    That is very rich coming from you. All you ever have attention for is Palestina. One could go on and on about the massacres happening in the Congo on a daily basis, but truth is there are many crises in the world and one sometimes gets more attention than the other. Perhaps it's not right, but it's unavoidable. People care about this crisis, because they feel there is a real risk their lives might change due to terrorism. And in some cases, it has.

And the cartoonists are important because of what they represent. I never read the magazine, didn't know them and am not particularly interested to find out much about them as the first things I saw were rather vulgar.
    They were teasing people. These cartoonists loved seeing the anger in the eyes of Muslims. They were using the claimed "Freedom of speech" to implement their ill ideas. And about Central Africa, I just raised that because that news were posted yesterday. Media did not care about it because it does not suit Western imperialists...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    They were teasing people. These cartoonists loved seeing the anger in the eyes of Muslims. They were using the claimed "Freedom of speech" to implement their ill ideas. And about Central Africa, I just raised that because that news were posted yesterday. Media did not care about it because it does not suit Western imperialists...
    What ill ideas?

Frankly, I consider Muhammed ridiculous. You could easily make the case that he was a warmongering paedophile. To believe in God in this day and age is weird at best, to consider Muhammad holy is just plain absurd.

And I am allowed to say that. There is no inherent duty of "respect" for religion I have to demonstrate. In a democracy I have to allow you to have and celebrate your own religion. I cannot discriminate against you for it either. I will never hold it against you. But I am allowed to laugh about it, when it is so damn silly.

Besides, you have to understand that there's a difference between that and mocking you as a person. I am sure X does not share every opinion I have. I am also sure he knows I respect him.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    What ill ideas?

Frankly, I consider Muhammed ridiculous. You could easily make the case that he was a warmongering paedophile. To believe in God in this day and age is weird at best, to consider Muhammad holy is just plain absurd.

And I am allowed to say that. There is no inherent duty of "respect" for religion I have to demonstrate. In a democracy I have to allow you to have and celebrate your own religion. I cannot discriminate against you for it either. I will never hold it against you. But I am allowed to laugh about it, when it is so damn silly.

Besides, you have to understand that there's a difference between that and mocking you as a person. I am sure X does not share every opinion I have. I am also sure he knows I respect him.
    You have a right to say those things in a democracy, it shouldn't be interpreted as a responsibility to insult other people. Democracy and respect are not mutually exclusive.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    You have a right to say those things in a democracy, it shouldn't be interpreted as a responsibility to insult other people. Democracy and respect are not mutually exclusive.
    Of course not. I am not going to make it my life's work to draw silly cartoons about muslims. Was the magazine funny? Hardly. I wouldn't buy it anyway. But you can't silence people by saying you're offended. Look into Steve Hughes and his I'm offended bit, he puts it better than I ever could.

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #497
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/08/us-centralafrica-inquiry-idUSKBN0KH2BM20150108

But media does not care. Some careless cartoonists in Paris are much more important...
    :sergio:

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    :sergio:

Unbelievable.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    Of course not. I am not going to make it my life's work to draw silly cartoons about muslims. Was the magazine funny? Hardly. I wouldn't buy it anyway. But you can't silence people by saying you're offended. Look into Steve Hughes and his I'm offended bit, he puts it better than I ever could.
    Oh I agree. But since the Paris shootings I've had numerous arguments about this at work (Amnesty International) and I'm genuinely the only one advocating a slight revision in the way we treat Islam in the media. Not silencing valid criticisms, but just avoiding crass caricatures to put a halt to dividing the society here in Copenhagen at least. Liberty of speech and opinion is not going to simply fade way during the night if we approach things realistically and stop marginalizing Muslims through the media.

- - - Updated - - -

They loved provoking everyone. And they did indeed provoke everyone - don't you think there were some offended catholics when the portrayed the combined cardinal crops fucking each other up the ass? It was a barbaric act and any attempts of white washing it by pointing fingers at the newspaper is not going to be taken seriously by any civilized human.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)