[Champions League] Shakhtar 0-1 JUVENTUS (December 5, 2012) (130 Viewers)

MotM?

• Bonucci

• Chiellini

• Lichtsteiner

• Vidal

• Vucinic

• Giovinco

Results are only viewable after voting.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
Last time we played for a draw we ended up losing 4-1 (vs Bayern). I really hope our players give their all tomorrow.
I vividly remember Tymoschuk doing that forward dive directly towards me as I was sitting front row that day after he scored the 4th, wanted to chuck my match program at his face. Truly terrible day and I had nightmares for weeks about that moment.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Our tactics are set up to destroy 2 man forward units. Any attack that consists of 1 target man and 2 wingers immediately causes concern for us. It's just the nature of employing a sweeper and 2 man marking CBs.

Willian terrifies me. If we go 3-5-2, Licht has to almost just play like a RB IMO. And Bonucci terrifies me against any Mkhitaryan run. That guy is terrifying on counters. Yes, I'm terrified.

I would go 4-3-3.

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini-Asamoah
Vidal-Pirlo-Pogba
Giovinco-Quagliarella-Vucinic

I think I play it safe and ask Vidal to focus more on Willian than attacking simply because of our circumstances of just needing a tie. I think you sacrifice Pirlo and let Mkhitaryan mark him out of the game. And I think you try and pin their fullbacks back with constant balls into Mirko and Gio.

The problem is that fucker Fernandinho can burst forward in an instant so letting Pogba be a little more free as opposed to Vidal is maybe not as smart as you'd think.

Ultimately, I would just grind the game down and keep putting balls onto our wingers and hoping we can SOMEHOW score 1 goal lol and put up a clean sheet.

I want Willian and the fullbacks to be forced to come back deep into defending areas. I don't want to play through the middle and let Willian escape responsibility and drift forward.
I think I'd sort of twist the 3-5-2 slightly towards it being a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

I'd have Lichtsteiner play more like an orthodox RB and get Asamoah playing as a sort of narrow LM, in order to help the midfield.

I'd also have Vidal or Pogba playing deep in front of the defence with Pirlo, so thay Juve have more power in there to give the defence better protection.

That should also make it clearer what everyone's responsibility is, rather than having two wingbacks loitering in wide area and serving no useful purpose.

The only thing would be that, with the system I'd be proposing, the Shakhtar fullbacks could have be left in space, so Juve would have to back themselves to deal with crosses properly. From what I've seen of Shakhtar, that would be a comparatively safe way of playing them.

Buffon

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Bonucci-Chiellini

------------Pogba-Pirlo-------Asamoah

Vidal--------------

-----Vucinic

Quagliarella​

That would also open up the possibility of marking up against Shakhtar's 4-2-3-1 (assuming they play that):

Bonucci plays as a sweeper
Lichtsteiner marks LW
Barzagli marks CF
Chiellini marks RW
Pogba marks AM
Vidal marks Fernandinho
Vucinic marks Hubschman
Asamoah marks Srna

That would just leave their LB free, and Vidal could shuffle across to him and leave Fernandinho to Pirlo.

I'm not usually one to suggest reducing a game to individual battles like that, but Juve were so chaotic in the first game that the clearer and simpler the instructions are for this game, the better.
Dont worry there, vidal should allways play higher up the pitch, for pressure and early ballrecovery. He certainly has by far the most anticipation now claudio isnt there

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Our tactics are set up to destroy 2 man forward units. Any attack that consists of 1 target man and 2 wingers immediately causes concern for us. It's just the nature of employing a sweeper and 2 man marking CBs.
Yup.

Willian terrifies me. If we go 3-5-2, Licht has to almost just play like a RB IMO. And Bonucci terrifies me against any Mkhitaryan run. That guy is terrifying on counters. Yes, I'm terrified.
Nothing like genuine fear going into a game. :D

If I was a coach, I'd get so far inside my own head thinking about these things that I'd come up with some extraordinarily defensive tactics.

Hell, in my post above, I suggested Juve play a sweeper and then man-man practically the whole Shakhtar team.

Genuine, marking catenaccio. :touched:

None of the nonsense of calling 'parking the bus' catenaccio.

I would go 4-3-3.

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini-Asamoah
Vidal-Pirlo-Pogba
Giovinco-Quagliarella-Vucinic

I think I play it safe and ask Vidal to focus more on Willian than attacking simply because of our circumstances of just needing a tie. I think you sacrifice Pirlo and let Mkhitaryan mark him out of the game. And I think you try and pin their fullbacks back with constant balls into Mirko and Gio.

The problem is that fucker Fernandinho can burst forward in an instant so letting Pogba be a little more free as opposed to Vidal is maybe not as smart as you'd think.

Ultimately, I would just grind the game down and keep putting balls onto our wingers and hoping we can SOMEHOW score 1 goal lol and put up a clean sheet.

I want Willian and the fullbacks to be forced to come back deep into defending areas. I don't want to play through the middle and let Willian escape responsibility and drift forward.
You're obviously a bolder tactician than I am.

I'd just be looking for Juve to sit deep and soak up pressure for long periods of this and play for a draw. I'd view balls into Vucinic's feet as the key way for Juve to get possession higher up the pitch.

Even taking your basic gameplan, there's no way I'd play with three genuine forwards like that. I'd either play Giaccherini as one of the wingers or I'd bring Bonucci into the defence and use Asamoah as a winger.

I think Juve's midfield would need to put in a fantastic performance to make your system work in this game.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
@LowLife That is suicide Bro. Bonnucci in a back 4 :scared: Why the fuck would you play Giaccherini?! :sergio:

I want us to win tomorrow, eliminate Arsenal in the 2'nd round, United in the QF, Barca in the semis (giant upset), and defeat Bayern/Dortmund in the Final :D

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I'd play 4-3-3 without POGBA.

buffon
licht-barzagli-bonucci-chiellini
vidal-pirlo-asamoah
Giach-vucinic-Giovinco​
the thing is, you emiminate pogba, but in result put up flanks that are goddamn weak.

Not to mention, if giac couldnt get past that leftback that giovinco later humiliated, how on earth is he gonna take on european level leftbacks ?

BUT, i like that idea of asamoah,i'd just use it like this

buffon
barzagli-bonucci-chiellini
lichtsteiner---------------de ceglie
vidal-pirlo-asamoah
vucinic-quagligarela​

Like this the midfield is goddamn strong, and asamoah could help de ceglie if having troubles

dann10

Ho visto Del Piero
Aug 26, 2008
I could be wrong, but this is going to be the first time pirlo and pogba start a match together no? Should be very interesting to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 130)