[Champions League] Shakhtar 0-1 JUVENTUS (December 5, 2012) (3 Viewers)

MotM?

• Bonucci

• Chiellini

• Lichtsteiner

• Vidal

• Vucinic

• Giovinco

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
So, what are people wanting Juve to do differently from the game in Turin in order to have more control over the game?

Juve were really caught out with Shakhtar flooding the middle of the pitch and focusing a lot of their attacks through Pirlo's area of the pitch.

The defence was then left looking very exposed.

The wingbacks in that game didn't seem to know what they were meant to be doing - marking, tucking in beside the defence, trying to stop the midfield being dominated - and just ended up standing in nothing postions out wide and really didn't help matters.
I think I'd sort of twist the 3-5-2 slightly towards it being a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

I'd have Lichtsteiner play more like an orthodox RB and get Asamoah playing as a sort of narrow LM, in order to help the midfield.

I'd also have Vidal or Pogba playing deep in front of the defence with Pirlo, so thay Juve have more power in there to give the defence better protection.

That should also make it clearer what everyone's responsibility is, rather than having two wingbacks loitering in wide area and serving no useful purpose.

The only thing would be that, with the system I'd be proposing, the Shakhtar fullbacks could have be left in space, so Juve would have to back themselves to deal with crosses properly. From what I've seen of Shakhtar, that would be a comparatively safe way of playing them.

Buffon

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Bonucci-Chiellini

------------Pogba-Pirlo-------Asamoah

Vidal--------------

-----Vucinic

Quagliarella​

That would also open up the possibility of marking up against Shakhtar's 4-2-3-1 (assuming they play that):

Bonucci plays as a sweeper
Lichtsteiner marks LW
Barzagli marks CF
Chiellini marks RW
Pogba marks AM
Vidal marks Fernandinho
Vucinic marks Hubschman
Asamoah marks Srna

That would just leave their LB free, and Vidal could shuffle across to him and leave Fernandinho to Pirlo.

I'm not usually one to suggest reducing a game to individual battles like that, but Juve were so chaotic in the first game that the clearer and simpler the instructions are for this game, the better.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005

I'd have Lichtsteiner play more like an orthodox RB and get Asamoah playing as a sort of narrow LM, in order to help the midfield.

I'd also have Vidal or Pogba playing deep in front of the defence with Pirlo, so thay Juve have more power in there to give the defence better protection.

That should also make it clearer what everyone's responsibility is, rather than having two wingbacks loitering in wide area and serving no useful purpose.

The only thing would be that, with the system I'd be proposing, the Shakhtar fullbacks could have be left in space, so Juve would have to back themselves to deal with crosses properly. From what I've seen of Shakhtar, that would be a comparatively safe way of playing them.

Buffon

Vidal--------------

-----Vucinic

Quagliarella​

That would also open up the possibility of marking up against Shakhtar's 4-2-3-1 (assuming they play that):

Lichtsteiner marks LW
Barzagli marks CF
Chiellini marks RW
Pogba marks AM
Vidal marks Fernandinho
Vucinic marks Hubschman
Asamoah marks Srna

That would just leave their LB free, and Vidal could shuffle across to him and leave Fernandinho to Pirlo.

I'm not usually one to suggest reducing a game to individual battles like that, but Juve were so chaotic in the first game that the clearer and simpler the instructions are for this game, the better.
earlier in this thread I suggested a similar formation - a 442 in it's 4312 interpretation - but had vidal and pogba switch places as I think their most dangerous player is Willian and Vidal would be a better countermeasure to his speed and incisive runs on the left of the Shaktar attack. Pogba should be well adept to deal with fernandinho, while providing support in attack and drop back in midfield when necessary.

but, yeah, I also think Juve need to part with the 352 for this game at least, considering the opponent's strengths.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
earlier in this thread I suggested a similar formation - a 442 in it's 4312 interpretation - but had vidal and pogba switch places as I think their most dangerous player is Willian and Vidal would be a better countermeasure to his speed and incisive runs on the left of the Shaktar attack. Pogba should be well adept to deal with fernandinho, while providing support in attack and drop back in midfield when necessary.

but, yeah, I also think Juve need to part with the 352 for this game at least, considering the opponent's strengths.
Yeah, I wasn't sure which way around to play Pogba and Vidal.

I'd rather have Vidal in both positions, so I guess it'd come down to how bold you wanted to be in your approach, whether he's tied to marking the opposition's best player or given more freedom to go forward.

I think 4-2-3-1 is a really awkward system for 3-5-2 to play against.

You can manage it if you are significantly better than the opposition, but in an evenly matched game I'd expect the 4-2-3-1 to have the better of things, if the 3-5-2 hasn't planned specific adjustments for the game.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Our tactics are set up to destroy 2 man forward units. Any attack that consists of 1 target man and 2 wingers immediately causes concern for us. It's just the nature of employing a sweeper and 2 man marking CBs.

Willian terrifies me. If we go 3-5-2, Licht has to almost just play like a RB IMO. And Bonucci terrifies me against any Mkhitaryan run. That guy is terrifying on counters. Yes, I'm terrified.

I would go 4-3-3.

Lichtsteiner-Barzagli-Chiellini-Asamoah
Vidal-Pirlo-Pogba
Giovinco-Quagliarella-Vucinic

I think I play it safe and ask Vidal to focus more on Willian than attacking simply because of our circumstances of just needing a tie. I think you sacrifice Pirlo and let Mkhitaryan mark him out of the game. And I think you try and pin their fullbacks back with constant balls into Mirko and Gio.

The problem is that fucker Fernandinho can burst forward in an instant so letting Pogba be a little more free as opposed to Vidal is maybe not as smart as you'd think.

Ultimately, I would just grind the game down and keep putting balls onto our wingers and hoping we can SOMEHOW score 1 goal lol and put up a clean sheet.

I want Willian and the fullbacks to be forced to come back deep into defending areas. I don't want to play through the middle and let Willian escape responsibility and drift forward.

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012

Buffon

Vidal--------------

-----Vucinic

Quagliarella​

Lichtsteiner marks LW
Barzagli marks CF
Chiellini marks RW
Pogba marks AM
Vidal marks Fernandinho
Vucinic marks Hubschman
Asamoah marks Srna

Great post. I don't agree with all of it necessarily but that was well thought out and insightful.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012

Very good point on the crosses, Shakhtar much prefer teams dropping deep and allowing them the cut back, or getting to the byline and fizzing one in across the box from what I've seen.

No doubt a lot of our players were clueless on where they were supposed to be in the first game, particularly Licht and Asa so Conte will have to be meticulous in his planning and precise with his instructions to each player.

Jul 20, 2012
I think we will end up playing a 3-5-2
Buffon

Barzagli------Bonucci-----Chiellini

Lichtsteiner-----Vidal-------Pirlo-----Pogba-------Asamoah

Vucinic-------------Giovinco

But i totally disagree with this though im not the manager. Like we saw in the first game when Shakhtar end up getting possession, they are really dangerous on the counter. With a 3-5-2 we are not really good with dealing with counters. We saw this on many occasions when we were hit on the break, Bonucci would be left alone and will leave a trailing leg and hope that he can get the ball. Not only that but with the 3-5-2 vs a 4-2-3-1, our wingbacks will have to vs 2 players, and probably end up losing their lanes. Lichtsteiner is good at closing down players but when he has to go aganist 2 players he will end up not beiong able to lock them down, and Shakhtar's game is basically made up of speed. If we are hit on the break, and we arent organized then we will be exposed alot and possibly end up losing. I would rather see a 4-3-3 with Pepe on the wing, and Vucinic on the other wing and matri as a cf.

mukumsplau

Jul 9, 2008
ive got three channels showing CL games and none of them is bringing the juve-shaktar game..not even delayed...but two..yes fricking two has the chelsea-nord game live....some fucked up shit..media loves to sniff the asses of these EPL teams

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I'm afraid of this match if we're going to play 3-5-2 again. Last time we were outplayed by them at home which is embarrassing. In Ukraine we need to be more balanced and aggressive. Let's hope our players will be more motivated as we're not through yet.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
It's like that in most English speaking countries unfortunately. Thankfully, ESPN2 here in Aus is showing the game in HD. Apparently they were also going to show Chelsea V Nords, but received a shitload of complaints from viewers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)