[Champions League] Bayern München vs JUVENTUS (April 2, 2013) (191 Viewers)

dstein08

Mar 31, 2013
Ive seen Juve and Pirlo play 1000 times and this was the worst they have ever played. Pirlo was absolutely horrible. Marchisio was invisible the entire night. The game was over after the first minute. When you let in a goal like that 30 seconds into the game you deserve to lose.

Mar 30, 2013
Ive seen Juve and Pirlo play 1000 times and this was the worst they have ever played. Pirlo was absolutely horrible. Marchisio was invisible the entire night. The game was over after the first minute. When you let in a goal like that 30 seconds into the game you deserve to lose.
The ball took a deflection, and the spin afterwards caught Buffon.

That's NOT why we deserved to lose ffs.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Rather, it was over when Robben came on, we were dominating for a period after conceding. When they had their two wingers on, we didn't know what the hell to do, and Conte didn't know how to respond, he was surprisingly very timid on the sideline. Outcoached heavily.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
Rather, it was over when Robben came on, we were dominating for a period after conceding. When they had their two wingers on, we didn't know what the hell to do, and Conte didn't know how to respond, he was surprisingly very timid on the sideline. Outcoached heavily.
You were right yesterday.

dstein08

Mar 31, 2013
The entire team looked lost. As if it was there first time every playing. Even Buffon was awful with his passes to the defense.

Marchisio was INVSIBLE in the first half. They will need a miracle in the second leg

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
That was the first game I have watched for the past two seasons in which I was left feeling, as early as half time, that we were fortunate to not be losing by 3-4 goals. Such was the anaemic, disorganized, shell-shocked nature of our performance. We were taken by surprise with the first goal, and whilst it’s easy to say that Buffon should have done better, the wicked spin of the ball took the ball yards away from him at a fair pace. Still, we had 90 minutes left in which to find our feet, our rhythm, our form. However, after a period in which we asserted a semblance of control over proceedings, Bayern took over and dominated for the rest of the match, carving through our horribly out-numbered midfield time and time again. The biggest, clearest problem with the midfield was the complete absence of Claudio Marchisio, who failed miserably and tellingly to impose himself on the game in any wave, shape or form.

Our formation seemed more 3-4-2. At this level, we cannot afford to carry any players, especially one of our triumvirate in midfield. Claudio had this tendency to prove ghost-like in matches a few seasons back and we had all hoped and assumed that this part of his footballing character had been stamped out. Unfortunately it hasn’t.

With only 2 of our 3 midfielders in any way involved with the game, we had no chance whatsoever to impose ourselves. Too much was asked of Pirlo; Vidal was our best player, bettering Marchisio in every department. Peluso had a hard, if not impossible time trying to deal with two players charging at him constantly, again due to the lack of covering from Marchisio, with Pirlo offering help instead of the player who many have ear-marked as a future captain.

I have never seen Marchisio as a future capitano because I have always felt he lacks leadership abilities. His game was so shy, I noticed him only twice in the first 65 minutes.

Bonucci’s long passing was a shambles, but again I point to Marchisio since his absence from the game allowed Munich to mark every one of our offensive players, leaving nobody to pass to. I am well aware of Claudio’s wonderful technique, his great mentality and he more often than not seems a world class midfielder. Last night though, he was wretched. Anonymous. A passenger.

The highlight of our first half was the yellow for Mandzukic. Which I hoped at the time would prevent him from pressing too physically in the second period. We did improve after the break, by becoming more compact, regaining a little belief and Marchisio waking up enough to make a handful of touches.

Munich were good, but we were very, very poor, and if it wasn’t for a combination of poor finishing and Buffon we would have lost heavily. A team like Real or Barca would have put 4 or 5 past us, on this form.

It’s not over yet, and I am confident we won’t repeat that performance. We are capable of winning in Turin, but before that happens, we need to find viable, match sharp alternatives to Vidal, Chiellini and Lichsteiner, all of whom are banned for the return leg. We better hope that Isla or Caceres is fit by then, else it will be Padoin on the right. A huge shame to lose Vidal but he did more than anyone else to drag us back into this game, and it’s no surprise that his high ferocity approach earned him the booking.

A good win for Bayern and the only positives taken for Juve are that Bayern managed to miss many chances and kept the score down to something respectable, and also, all great teams must learn how to lose, how to recover, how to react to a poor performance, for no team in history has been amazing every game they have played. The sign of true champions, a cliché but true, is how they react…

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
Not doing ourselves justice was my biggest fear, and we really didn't. Bayern played well, but we were so timid and error-strewn Pescara would have given us a tough game. When I'm watching top players kicking the ball to opponents over and over in their own third something is wrong.

Both of Bayern's goals had fortune, but they thoroughly deserved at least those two goals, so it was fair in terms of performance.

The front two was the tactical disaster many of us thought and feared it would be. Having the ball coming straight back all the time is a recipe for disaster in this game. Matri-Quag is almost useless in this situation. I understand the others weren't 100% fit, but a 3-6-1 variant with 45 for Quagliarella and Vucinic each would have been more useful.

I have to say, I thought our team looked pretty leggy and generally off the pace. I saw something similar in early 2013 after Conte killed the players after the break, and we didn't look good at all. I think we could have done with an easier game than a very tough away Derby before this game, especially when you contrast Bayern's game.

Overall we had too many big players having off days, seems a bit of a coincidence in such an important match. One bad game and you really are out of this competition, and we are almost there. The performance was just extremely disappointing.

Conte is right in what he says, even if he does sound defeatist. We should remember at what stage we are in comparison, we would need 10 seasons in this competition to match up, but we are already fast-tracking our progress as a club.
:agree: This seems to be the problem of this Juve which I don't really get it, almost all of our team have big experience at the highest levels of their national teams, so why the fvck do we look so goddamn nervous at every new stage of CL? what's the big fvcking difference between playing with your national team at the semis/finals and a CL's?
Tonite was the epitome of that and we seemed totally psychologically lost from the get go. TBH, We made them look way better than what should've been.

Is this the atmosphere created around the team that causes it? Or the way our coaching staff/BoD talk about their inexperience that gets on their nerves?
I mean even Buffon and Pirlo with a lot of CL experience looked nervous sh!tless tonight.

But on the bright side, usually a big part of this vanishes in our second leg, so I'm still hopeful. Although not that much.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I can never finish your posts :D
perhaps its for the best, mate! Its hardly upbeat, positive reading, but still...I seem to be far more critical of Marchisio than most others. For me, he was the major reason why Pirlo had to do the work of 2 players, our left flank was mullered, we didn't once look like having a midfield trio and munich were able to plough through us at will. With only 2 of 3 midfielders playing, what chance was there for any attacker up top??? I agreed with the scotsman commentating on SBS when he said in the second half 'i didnt even know he was playing...', after marchisio finally found himself involved. Pirlo and Vidal were both heavily hounded, both tried more defensively and offensively, but both of them are of stronger character than Marchisio whose absence from this game cost the whole team dearly...at best, a striker can be carried, but not 1 central midfielder of 3, away to Munich.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
:agree: This seems to be the problem of this Juve which I don't really get it, almost all of our team have big experience at the highest levels of their national teams, so why the fvck do we look so goddamn nervous at every new stage of CL? what's the big fvcking difference between playing with your national team at the semis/finals and a CL's?
Tonite was the epitome of that and we seemed totally psychologically lost from the get go. TBH, We made them look way better than what should've been.

Is this the atmosphere created around the team that causes it? Or the way our coaching staff/BoD talk about their inexperience that gets on their nerves?
I mean even Buffon and Pirlo with a lot of CL experience looked nervous sh!tless tonight.

But on the bright side, usually a big part of this vanishes in our second leg, so I'm still hopeful. Although not that much.
i agree with every word of both of you guys.. and yeah we will play good in the second match but i hope it won't be too late.

juvechampions

Feb 27, 2006
buffon and pirlo have the experience, but tonight sucked, but to win the c.l you will have players with BALLS and DESIRE.Vidal is the one you can see it , he can't accept to lose, marchisio he was a big big disappointment and tonight was his change,Llorente coming is a good sign ... but we need more

Bufi

Dec 21, 2010
i think we should it played with anelka and quag, with mirko out anelka its better with ball.our strikers fucked up our game because they didn:t help team with holding ball and getting forward. Maybe we can trouble bayern in juve stadium

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
i think we should it played with anelka and quag, with mirko out anelka its better with ball.our strikers $#@!ed up our game because they didn:t help team with holding ball and getting forward. Maybe we can trouble bayern in juve stadium
Huh? How's he out?

Conte won't all of a sudden use Anelka - if he doesn't use him in Serie A he won't use him in CL, which is a shame really. Although I love watching Matri trip over the ball every time he receives it with his back to goal.

Bufi

Dec 21, 2010
Huh? How's he out?

Conte won't all of a sudden use Anelka - if he doesn't use him in Serie A he won't use him in CL, which is a shame really. Although I love watching Matri trip over the ball every time he receives it with his back to goal.
i was talking for tonight's game.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Following the Celtic performances, where possession wise we were dominated in both matches, against a team that is not even a quarter of what Bayern is, I had my doubts for this match.

Some were convinced that we intentionally played that sort of game against Celtic, but my worry was our possession and pressure game has really dropped off this season, so I was afraid we couldn't match it with the likes of Bayern.

Another thing that bothered me was we didn't have a single player on the pitch that could beat his marker 1 on 1. The only players in our team capable of this are Vuc and Gio, and maybe even Anelka. None of our WB's are really capable of this, the way Robbery hold the ball and beat their man or pass, but always have the defence under pressure, is something we lacked for most of the match.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I'm not getting into every angle of this game, short and sweet, we were outplayed by the better team. We were out passed, out shot, out possessed, out muscled and out hustled. I haven't seen a team be able to do this to our team in a pretty long time.

I've said since the beginning of the season that we were missing a top notch striker, that Giovinco is a joke, Quags is inconsistent, and Matri isn't living up to his potential. Did I mention that we got rid of DP for Bentner ??? If management didn't see this coming then shame on them, we're paying for it now !!!

We won't make a comeback in the second leg, we don't have the firepower to compete with Bayern, and even Conte pretty much said the same thing in his post match press conference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 189)