[Champions League] Bayern München vs JUVENTUS (April 2, 2013) (172 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
The worst part is the fact that we didn't create one single goal chance. I can live with a loss, hell even live with the horrible performances from Pirlo and Buffon. However, the fact that we couldn't even create a single fucking chance, that's pathetic.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Painful.

It could have been 4-0.

Wrong players we had out there, it was totally silly to have Quag and Matri upfront. Our defense was terrorized (Bonucci :howler: ) while Marchisio was casper the friendly ghost. Overall we were horrible and it was a 'good' result.
I really doubt that both Matri and Quag would have started if not for Mirko's flu and Cambiasso's challenge on Giovinco. I get Conte for starting those two, even though it was clear as day that there was no way that kind of players to be of any use in such a match. What I don't get is why did he start Peluso and especially why did he wait until +60th minute for subbing in players. The reality on the pitch was begging for a midfielder and replacement(s) in attack.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Conte has done well with the limits and constraints of our resources. Our use of 3-5-2 is reactive not proactive. It's not like Conte is obsessed with a 3 back system like say Zacche. It's the "better" tactic we can use given our current situation (e.g. no reliable left back). But, our 3 back system was really exposed today. Bayern was very fluid and the diagonal and overlapping runs made it extremely difficult for our players plus their central midfielders positioned themselves well today. We did okay closing down for the most part. It'd have been a different story had we not conceded so early... But, that's a speculative excuse...
I say let Peluso play as LB and back to 4 in defense. This 3 man defense was really exposed.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
disappointing showing by Juve - Bayern is obviously a very good team but I think Juve made them look even better today. The whole team bar a player or two lacked composure and looked bewildered. Conte made his tactical adjustments way too late - i expected he would have learned his lesson from the first Shakhtar game and wouldn't start with a pure 3-5-2 but ...
Still, I think Juve's main issue today was the mental approach to this game, which had them behind from the get go. Altogether, a rather uncharacteristic showing by the team.

It's not over yet but the lack of an away goal makes things extremely diff for Juve as it would be tough keeping a good counter-attacking team like Bayern off the board in Torino. Best chance for Juve at this point would be if Bayern end up relaxing and underestimating the return leg, tbh.

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #2,048
    I really doubt that both Matri and Quag would have started if not for Mirko's flu and Cambiasso's challenge on Giovinco. I get Conte for starting those two, even though it was clear as day that there was no way that kind of players to be of any use in such a match. What I don't get is why did he start Peluso and especially why did he wait until +60th minute for subbing in players. The reality on the pitch was begging for a midfielder and replacement(s) in attack.
    My excuse for Peluso was 'I hope Asamoah is injured' because it was brainless.

I had no idea Mirko had a flu, that sucks.

But anyway, even if we had Cavani we would have lost. 2-0 was good, we could have conceded 2 more easily.

redrum

Jan 4, 2013
    disappointing showing by Juve - Bayern is obviously a very good team but I think Juve made them look even better today. The whole team bar a player or two lacked composure and looked bewildered. Conte made his tactical adjustments way too late - i expected he would have learned his lesson from the first Shakhtar game and wouldn't start with a pure 3-5-2 but ...
    Still, I think Juve's main issue today was the mental approach to this game, which had them behind from the get go. Altogether, a rather uncharacteristic showing by the team.

It's not over yet but the lack of an away goal makes things extremely diff for Juve as it would be tough keeping a good counter-attacking team like Bayern off the board in Torino. Best chance for Juve at this point would be if Bayern end up relaxing and underestimating the return leg, tbh.
    Wow thank you for clearing things up.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
    Mar 29, 2006
    Both. This LOOKED like our worst performance of the season. And to some extent thats because Bayern were great but I think there is truth in it.

One thing that has become painfully obvious after this defeat is our biggest weakness. If the opposition decides to press the back 3 (which rarely happens in Serie A), we cannot seem to cope. Soooo many times, we tried playing our way out of defense only to lose the ball - in the end, Bonucci resorted to punting the ball down the field to Giovinco who had to control the ball against a defender twice his height.

In reflection, if you told me that at the start of the season that we would win the scudetto and get to the quarter finals of the CL, I would be satisfied. Juve will learn from this. Conte will learn from this. If man for man, you don't have the better squad, you need to be tactically flexible. We need to have a plan B at all times - and that includes more regularly playing with a back 4 and having a plan B when Pirlo is not available or not in form.
    Yep. Oh how I wish we did more homework and planned for a Plan B but thats where the reality check kicks in.

Lukson

Nov 5, 2012
    Not having Mirko start the match really showed. His passing ability and vision was sorely needed up front against the bulky Bayern defense. We weren't going to beat them in the air. Glimpses of Mirko's cutting passes in the final third was encouraging...

Monco

C.R.E.A.M
    Mar 27, 2013

After Arsenal game, they won't do that anymore this season.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
    May 23, 2011
    Not arguing over the chances they created.

But it still took two lucky goals to beat us.
    One deflection and the other from offside position I get what you mean but they were far better side tonight. At this level you need more quality especially in attack.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    You really expect us not to concede with the amounts of space we'll leave behind while we're trying to put 2 past Bayern?

This tie is over.
    The tie is probably over, but I say yes, why not achieve to score the first goal? If we do that, especially in the first half, then we won't need to leave too much space behind until the ~70th minute because both teams will play more carefully. The problem with the space we are going to leave behind will happen until we try to score that opener.

memo

Nov 18, 2005
    it was a dive because he was a juventus player.
    in other case..put dani alves there...it would be a penalty and a red card
    bayern was better..great team... our attack sucks...but one offside goal, one penalty not given and the red card of ribery....is tooo much

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    no Vidal and Lich next game too so it was a good run. I expected changes from Conte at the start of the 2nd half but he didn't. I think that was one of Pirlo's worst games with us and Marchisio was invisible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 169)