Cd covers (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
I really envy my parents vinyl collection. Not becuase the records are good but because the covers are so cool. The big covers makes the albums more real than todays cd boxes.
I compared my cd version of Dark side of the moon and my parents vinyl version. The cd version looks like a joke in comparison.
Todays jewelcases are a disgrace to the sometimes brilliant covers. It is just a piece of paper behind a transparent plasticbox. You can buy a jewelcase for just a few cents and print a copy of the cover and it will be really hard to tell if it's fake or not.

Now I don't expect the music industry to go back to the big vinyl records, that will never happen. But as the music industry bosses are fighting the downloading problems it might be time to other ways than just prohibiting it. I think that if they could make the covers better and more special it would make people more interested in buying music again.
My solution is that they simply leave the jewelcases on the backyard. Instead they should start producing covers made like Pearl Jams Vitalogy or perhaps Metallicas St. Anger. They are special and cool, it makes you care about both the music and the record itself. Plus that you can't copy it unless you want to spend more money than what it would actually cost to buy the album in the store.

I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks to get my favourite albums with better covers.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 28, 2002
you know whats cool? limited edition albums. with exquisite covers. radiohead's amnesiac was class. like a little book, with all kind of stamp a la library style saying that this book is damaged and withdrawn from circulation. and it has a little pocket for cd. thats it. no boxes, nothic. really, peace of art.

here's how it looks: http://www.icyeyes.com.br/amnesia.htm

and i kinde disagree with you on st.anger's case. imo that cover sucked arse. tho maybe i'm not the fan of that kind of pictures.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #3
    Sounds cool, I think it is sort of the same thing as Pink Floyds PULSE album. It is sort of a book with like 30 pages and two pockets for the cds.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #4
    It looks way cool, much better than Pulse (which was great). Interesting, I thought Radiohead were really unserious but it seems like they took this thing seriously.

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    Sounds cool, I think it is sort of the same thing as Pink Floyds PULSE album. It is sort of a book with like 30 pages and two pockets for the cds.
    well maybe. whats inside that book? this one has bunch of radioheadish pictures. and cover is made out of fabric. really, brilliant.

hail to the thief limited edition is also unique, but not as good as that one.

Sep 28, 2002
    It looks way cool, much better than Pulse (which was great). Interesting, I thought Radiohead were really unserious but it seems like they took this thing seriously.
    your kidding? they do their crazy stuff and they take way too serious. :D

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++

your kidding? they do their crazy stuff and they take way too serious. :D
    Well I suppose they are just crazy , but you know me and Radiohead has never really worked well. :)

Sep 28, 2002

Well I suppose they are just crazy , but you know me and Radiohead has never really worked well. :)
    well, yeah :D

and also they won a grammy for best album desing or whatever for kid a limited edition. wish i could lay my hands on that beauty :drool:

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #10
    Who the hell is this kid a, I read about on your link?

You'll find PULSE on Storm thorgerson by the way under box-sets.

Vicky

Jan 9, 2004
    i didn't read that whole thing but you guys mentioned pink floyd and i know not that long ago i found the cd cover from like a collection, don't reamember what it's called but it was just beutiful, i couldn't stop staring at it. it has like wa ter and stuff on it
    sooo .... i guess it still can be done
    i'm sure if a band cares about their cd covers they can actually make it a piece of artwork, but i don't think a lot of them do since people don't even keep their cd's in a cover. i know i don't ....

it's all about the size YO
    small things aren't ass powerful

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    Oh legendary Pink Floyd is just fantastic. And i really agree that those old covers is much nicer! and nostalgic. But what is also cool is to buy posters/wallpapers, for example Pink Floyd's "Animals" poster is my favourite.

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
    the thing i love most about vinyl is that the artwork is much more personal and far superior than any CD cover.... Sometimes i collect vynil records just for the artwork rather than the music.... But you're right, record companies are not gonna bring back vinyls..... Which is a shame really... But i really don't like those plastic jewel cases.... Looks so f***in cheap......

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
    vinyl will never become extinct..... there's still a lot of bands and labels, especially smaller and independent labels who continue to release them....

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    I like covers of Burzum-albums, though don't like the music (and don't even go to that ideology-part). I just can't recall the name of the painter who's done those paintings, century ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)