Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (31 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
What's odd is that I am hearing footie pundits singing his praises now. Just a couple days ago I heard Stewart Robson and I think also Paul Mariner call him the best centerback in European football right now.

Which is all great, but it should have been 2-3 years ago -- not now. The past couple of seasons, he's not been at his best.
Anything to bring up barca higher and Juve lower. It's really becoming silly.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Nov 17, 2012
2:50

Speed ain't the issue here, Never played on the left side of a 2 man defense recently let alone vs Messi and Suarez and of course his fitness is an issue as he has recovered just 60 hrs before the match.
I always have liked the similarity of Barza's run on that goal and this one. :)

- - - Updated - - -

In Berlin 2006 Final. Guess he'll be watching from the stands again.

11sec
https://youtu.be/e4B6xfD4ggw
Nooooooo, look how fresh he looks! Baby King Kong! :heart:

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
And i guessed it correctly :lol: Knew some moronic English pundit would portray as though we've been dealt with the killer blow :lol2:
I really hope this media wankfest gets to their players' heads.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:lol:

Reus goal because of Chiellini slip. Ronaldo first goal in big part because Chiellini and Pirlo were ball-watching instead of staying with the open man in the box. And obvious clumsy challenge to give away penalty. He was pretty much the cause of all three of our knockout round goals against.

He may have been a top 3 CB in Europe a couple years ago, but certainly not this year.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Good news. I'm so much more comfortable with Barzagli in defence than Chiellini.

Barzagli will do Wonders, no need to worry.
:sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

What's odd is that I am hearing footie pundits singing his praises now. Just a couple days ago I heard Stewart Robson and I think also Paul Mariner call him the best centerback in European football right now.

Which is all great, but it should have been 2-3 years ago -- not now. The past couple of seasons, he's not been at his best.
he was immense against Real, especially in the 2nd leg

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
Not gonna derail the thread but surely you can remember some of his passes against BVB, Fiorentina, Palermo, etc.

As for Chiellini's loss. It hurts because we can't switch to 3-5-2 during the match but Barzagli is a better CB than him.
If Chiellini is injured, it makes sense to go with the 3-5-2 >>>>>>> Bonucci-------------Barzagli-------Lichsteiner---
or its better 4-3-2-1 >>>> -----Evra--------Bonucci-------------Barzagli-------Lichsteiner---
i was thinking Caceres but he got injured and isnt to our squad to face Barcelona

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
he was immense against Real, especially in the 2nd leg
He was. And he was flawless against Dortmund after falling over to give up the goal. But Boumsong was notorious for doing that: playing an excellent 80-85 minutes only to look a fool for the few that cost us dearly.

A few years ago, oddly a lot of the English media jumped late on the Pirlo bandwagon. They seem to be doing so with Chiellini now, years after he deserved to get this recognition but was largely ignored at the time.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
This is definitely a blessing in disguise for me.
For this kind of opponent where u'd be facing up 3 players who rely on their technical attributes more than anything else,its not necessary we need a strong physical CB like Chiello to combat their threat.
We need CB's who read the game better,track their runs and make timely interceptions and we have the personnel for it already.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
For this kind of opponent where u'd be facing up 3 players who rely on their technical attributes more than anything else,its not necessary we need a strong physical CB like Chiello to combat their threat.
We need CB's who read the game better,track their runs and make timely interceptions and we have the personnel for it already.
We need a CB who is going to intimidate them, step on their heels and generally make them think twice when receiving the ball. We just lost that.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
He was. And he was flawless against Dortmund after falling over to give up the goal. But Boumsong was notorious for doing that: playing an excellent 80-85 minutes only to look a fool for the few that cost us dearly.

A few years ago, oddly a lot of the English media jumped late on the Pirlo bandwagon. They seem to be doing so with Chiellini now, years after he deserved to get this recognition but was largely ignored at the time.
yeah, they are waaay to late with their recognition, but better late than never.

about his mistakes, those 2 slips werent really his fault. that can happen to anyone, kinda funny though how it happened to him twice in a few games.

- - - Updated - - -

Chiellini does that exactly

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
We need a CB who is going to intimidate them, step on their heels and generally make them think twice when receiving the ball. We just lost that.
I'm not sure about that.These Barca fairies are well protected by refs.
More chance of Chiellini getting penalized for making stupid challenges than the above happening.

Plus we'd essentially be removing a red card/penalty probability as well so yh,this a blessing in disguise indeed.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Real's tactics in the 2nd leg were to spray as many crosses as possible into the box.
Chiellini will deal with that all day long.
Chiellini is a great tackler and ball interceptor. exactly what we need against Barcelona

- - - Updated - - -

You can't just ignore his brain freeze that resulted in a penalty.
that was a clumsy penalty. not saying there was none, but if the ref didnt whistle, it would be no mistake IMO

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
not really. Barzagli is a great CB too. the only thing that worries me is the chemistry between him and Bonucci since they havent played much together this season, especially not in a 2 CB partnership. but no doubt they will both put in monster performances when we need it the most

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
sad for our King Kong to have a beast performance, he can be such a threat for us offensively as well with corners and FK, and plus we would miss the Chiello tag team Evra vs Suarez!! now its only Evra vs Suarez!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)