Capello wants Messi (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Messi content at Barca

Argentine star Lionel Messi says he has no intention of leaving Barcelona, but admits he is frustrated with the wrangle over his citizenship which is preventing him from playing in La Liga.

Messi is viewed as one of the brightest talents to have come out of South America for some time and has the faith of Barca's paymasters to the extent that he has been handed a contract which runs until 2014.

The youngster, though, is unable to showcase his talents in La Liga, as he has yet to secure Spanish citizenship and is classed as a foreigner.

Barca are working tirelessly on Messi's behalf to rectify the situation, but at present Messi is only able to play in European competition.

Messi has confirmed he is deeply frustrated by his situation, but it has not dampened his enthusiasm to shine for Barca.

"I hope the situation will be unblocked soon," Messi said at the Fifpro awards on Monday evening. "I don't know how much longer it will take.

"It's strange being able to play in the Champions League and not in La Liga.

"I'm comfortable with the contract extension and I'm really happy. In Barcelona I want to do great things."

Italian giants Internazionale and Juventus are said to be keeping tabs on Messi's situation, but there would appear to be little chance of the player making the move to Serie A.

"I'm flattered by the words from Inter," he said. "And Juve are like Barcelona, the best. But I want to stay for a long time where I am.

"For me Barcelona are the best solution and a dream come true."

Mar 8, 2004
messis is a good player, but i dont think he is the kind of player juventuz need. he is not strong on the ball and fall to much. beside he is too young and lack the required exprience needed in juventuz

Juno

Escape Artist
Apr 23, 2005
He obtained his spanish passport and is now eligible to play for Barca in La Liga too.Close the thread! :D

Messi gets Spanish citizenship

Argentina striker Lionel Messi has obtained Spanish citizenship and is free to play for Barcelona in the Liga, the club said on Monday. Meanwhile, England captain and Real Madrid star David Beckham has expressed his wish to extend his contract with the Merengue.

Messi was restricted to appearances in the Champions League for Barca this season after doubts were raised over his status as an "assimilated player" in Spain.

It had been assumed that, because he joined the club as a 13-year-old and played the last two seasons in the youth teams, he would automatically be considered an assimilated European Union player.

Barca have been waiting for Spanish soccer authorities to clarify the player's position, and decided not to play him in the league this season.

Under Spanish Football Federation rules, each Primera Liga club is allowed only three non-European Union players in their squad.

Barca's three berths are already occupied by Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o, Mexican defender Rafael Marquez and Brazil forward Ronaldinho.

The 18-year old prodigy, who has been compared with the young Diego Maradona, was top scorer for Argentina when they won the World Youth Cup in June.

He extended his contract with Barcelona for the second time in three months just over a week ago, and is committed to the Catalans till 2014 with a buy-out clause of 150 million euros.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Not necessarily. Getting an EU passport opens doors to clubs which don't have spare EU-spots, in any case it makes it more likely that Juve would get him.

Not that I think he'll come or anything, not with that contract extension.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
Not necessarily. Getting an EU passport opens doors to clubs which don't have spare EU-spots, in any case it makes it more likely that Juve would get him.

What I mean is that this whole issue started with Messi being registered for Barcelona when they already had 3 non-EU players. Now that Messi has a EU passport, any team would have to pay hundreds of millions to buy him.

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

However.. If every Juventus fan donates $1 to a fund or something.. wouldn't that reach his minimum release clause? :cheesy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)