Campbell to Juve for free? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
well, after seeing some of madrids games this season i cant say that samuel is world class too. so lets just leave this at the andy :D
Well sorry, I don't catch many Real Madrid matches, but I can assure you he looks just as much of a clown as Sol Campbell. :D But maybe I'm thinking too much in the past, when Walter was outsanding at Roma.

Well then Vil, maybe you're right.

Samuel is off the list of world class defenders, and he is replaced by Lucio. :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
whats tivo?
TiVo is like a VHS movie player and recorder, except that its all digital. You can record many hours of footage from the tele, and watch it whenever you want.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
lucio? :howler:
Hey theres just something about a defender who whenever the commentator mentions his name, he is on the other side of the pitch from where he should be. :D

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
tommy, why you hate him so much? well ok, hes not the best, but he certainly is one of the best. is it because you hate arsenal?
I don't think so, cause I can easily admit the likes og henry and pires are class players. I've just never really rated his type of defender.. he's only good cos he's big, he's got little to no actual defensive skills and can't pass to save his life. A big liability in serie A

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

I don't think so, cause I can easily admit the likes og henry and pires are class players. I've just never really rated his type of defender.. he's only good cos he's big, he's got little to no actual defensive skills and can't pass to save his life. A big liability in serie A
Exactly right Tom, Sol lacks the technical ability of say a Puyol or even Ferdinand. The latter has a good touch for a centerback and reads the game much more adeptly than Sol. But this makes me wonder why you rate Johny Woodgate so highly; he doesn't have the touch to save his life, let alone a few goals.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Forgive me if I sound patronising but how many games have you seen Woody play? I say that cause he's been injured a lot thats all. His reading of the game is superb, and i don't know where you get his supposed lack of touch from either. True he's no Rio or Nesta but he's certainly no blundering oaf a la campbell. Trust me, ask any Englishman who knows his shit about football and they'll tell you, Woodgate is class.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Forgive me if I sound patronising but how many games have you seen Woody play? I say that cause he's been injured a lot thats all. His reading of the game is superb, and i don't know where you get his supposed lack of touch from either. True he's no Rio or Nesta but he's certainly no blundering oaf a la campbell. Trust me, ask any Englishman who knows his shit about football and they'll tell you, Woodgate is class.
Well I remember distinctly when Woody was at Leeds, and he was not all that convincing to me. Maybe this is again all distant memories now, and you are correct I have not seen him play that often in the past year, but Woody reminded me of the prototypical brute defender in his Leeds days. I don't think I was questioning his ability to read the game; all I was saying is that his ball skills are nothing special. And if I'm not mistaken, Woody is/was a little bit foul prone as well, similar to "Soupy" himself. But I will take your word for it that Woodgate is better than Campbell. ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003

NO! :(

Actually Woodgate if he ever gets fit is a phenomenal defender. Terry and Rio are both also world class. Campbell is just .. just.. oh I don't know he's just wank.
Rio couldn't mark his own shadow. You have Woodgate spot on. Terry is a bit slow, and plays too deep to compensate - though a good manager can work around it. Campbell is a more traditional English defender - he kicks people good. It's effective though.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Hey theres just something about a defender who whenever the commentator mentions his name, he is on the other side of the pitch from where he should be. :D
Lucio's class - and very entertaining to boot. For someone who plays half the game in the wrong box, he doesn't get caught out much, and his technique is golden.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Lucio's class - and very entertaining to boot. For someone who plays half the game in the wrong box, he doesn't get caught out much, and his technique is golden.
Actually Lucio IMO is not the greatest man marker, as even our Zlatan was able to get around him and another Bayern defender for the winning goal on Wednesday. But he has superb vision and reads the game very well. Lucio's stallion-like charges up field is a very dangerous weapon to have for both clubs actually, but for Bayern it's usually beneficial.

Jul 28, 2002
Rio: utds lynch pin for their defence....no rio, utd have a dire defense.
Sol: i reckon u guys underestimate sols key strengths. Aerially sound, good reading of the game, strong. However lacks any form of class on the ball.....which is imo a minimum requirement for a world class defender.

Woddy: class....but a bit patchy. At times a elegant defender, others a thug. Sometimes as strong as an oxe...but now injury prone. There are better .

Terry....lionheart style defender, battler, strong in the air, good tackler and a leader. For chelsea he has been imense, however for englnd he has been shite. (imo)

Btw im probably tottally wrong as i it appears my judgement on mexes was currently wide of the mark.:groan:

Jan 7, 2004
if i have to consider everything, including performance, age, potential and wages i have to say Terry gets top spot. (even though Chelsea might spoil him with their big money)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)