Bundesliga 2022-23 (6 Viewers)

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Just learned this from Lucas Copado's Wiki, the 18 year-old starting tonight against DC United in Washington, DC.

- - - Updated - - -

@BayernFan where are you from and where are you now?

- - - Updated - - -

The good one or the bad one? ;) :p

- - - Updated - - -

:cry:
I'm from Denmark, that's also where I live today. You're American right?

Seems Bayern got many fans in the US due to 40 million + or so Americans have German ancestry.

So it makes sense many support a German club. Also just found this.

https://fcbayern.com/en/fans/fan-clubs/fan-clubs

"As of 1 July 2022, there are 4,440 FC Bayern fan clubs worldwide, including 359,860 registered FC Bayern fans. They're based in every corner of Germany and around the globe, from China to Mombasa and the Philippines to India, with over 140 fan clubs also located in the United States and Canada. No other European team has so many in North America."

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Only annoying part about Bayern fans in America is that they hang on to some long ago ancestor to declare themselves Germans and act like they're first generation immigrants. And of course they picked the best team in Germany and not some club from the town where their family is from because of course they would.

Apr 12, 2004
Singapore is closer, dock master.

- - - Updated - - -

Only annoying part about Bayern fans in America is that they hang on to some long ago ancestor to declare themselves Germans and act like they're first generation immigrants. And of course they picked the best team in Germany and not some club from the town where their family is from because of course they would.
I know you're right. My surname is Burke, came from Nieborek out of Silesia, a century ago. Hell, I should probably be a Sigma Olomouc fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems Bayern got many fans in the US due to 40 million + or so Americans have German ancestry.

"As of 1 July 2022, there are 4,440 FC Bayern fan clubs worldwide, including 359,860 registered FC Bayern fans. They're based in every corner of Germany and around the globe, from China to Mombasa and the Philippines to India, with over 140 fan clubs also located in the United States and Canada. No other European team has so many in North America."
I'm registered, are you?

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
I see your point, but do you really think Italian immigrants support the club from the village they originated from?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
This is how America is in general though.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
And that's imo a good thing. However far removed, why shouldn't people wanna connect with and claim their heritage or their ancestors.
Exactly.

Hence Bayern got a very big support in the United States, 40 mio + Americans having German ancestry, and if they're interested in football or soccer as they call it, they'll in 9 out of 10 cases choose the biggest/most succesful German club to support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Americans

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
....You assume this guy is even Italian.
Family is from Chieri but I wouldn't say I'm Italian. Lived my entire life in America, my father lived most of his life in America.

And yes I agree that its a good thing in general. I do think it's a bit lazy or lame to be like "I identify with my German heritage now, who's the best club in Germany so I can be their fan?" And thats the way it seems a lot of times in America with fans. They don't bother connecting to the region their family is from and just search for the most popular/successful club to support. And yes, it's done wonders for Bayern's NA support.

It is what it is.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007

How many in Argentina?

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
Definitely understand why they're supporting Bayern. My original comment was that it was something I found annoying. Especially how the newfound dedication borders on fanatical again with no reason other than them drawing the name out of a hat.

Such is the times we live in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)