Bruno Alves - CB - Zenit St Petersburg (17 Viewers)

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
One guy doesn't organize an entire defense IMO. You need 4 guys who have some brain cells. If you notice, Chiellini is never the one getting caught playing people onside or way out of position. So you know he's not tactically dumb, he might be a little rash though lol. There is nothing he can do if Bonucci, and last year's FBs are retarded. With Licht and Alves you will see "organization" just because they are veteran players who have done this shit before. Then communication becomes easier.
All what you say is true, though you still require an leader/organiser in defence. It's essential

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
All what you say is true, though you still require an leader/organiser in defence. It's essential
I agree, it is optimal. But I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think Chiellini is that bad in that department or we can't know for sure because of the retardation around him.

Then you add Licht and Alves and either you need LESS organization because they know what they're doing, or they can all help collectively with communication. I've already seen Licht talk more in a few games then Motta all year.

Either way I think we'll be ok.

May 22, 2007
One guy doesn't organize an entire defense IMO. You need 4 guys who have some brain cells. If you notice, Chiellini is never the one getting caught playing people onside or way out of position. So you know he's not tactically dumb, he might be a little rash though lol. There is nothing he can do if Bonucci, and last year's FBs are retarded. With Licht and Alves you will see "organization" just because they are veteran players who have done this shit before. Then communication becomes easier.
Defenses are built on organisation and unity. Ability obviously helps a lot, but average individuals can be part of a good defense. I don't buy into the thought that Lugano will magically make the defense click because of his presence, he's not that good. It's more down to Conte.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You still need one main man to make the calls for the back line.

On paper, Grygera-Legrottaglie-Chiellini-Molinaro was not a good defence, but they were very disciplined and Legrottaglie had a lot to do with that. Legrottaglie was also composed act acted more as a sweeper than a CB, which complimented Chiellini nicely.

Then Legrottaglie was replaced with Cannavaro, who could also organise, but that didn't work because he, like Chiellini, wanted to be very aggressive and try to win every ball.

Then Bonucci came along and there was no organiser and Bonucci and Chiellini weren't really compatible.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
I just find it funny because most people want an organiser, but they probably don't know why. I mean, some who say we need an organiser are the same who fap over Vidic and want a man marking system (I'm basing my comment on the big mass at VS).

I'd love to have an organiser in defence too, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure that two very good defenders like BA and Chiellini won't play bad simply because none of them is an organiser. And our defense will surely rock on with that pair. But why we'd eventually need an organiser in defense imo...

Offensively (ball playing defenders), we have no reasons to get one, as we have Pirlo playing very close to our CBs. Defensively, we'd need one to lead the line as a sweeper-ish guy if we played with the offside trap (high dline) and perhaps a zonal marking system as well. So, it's down to Conte to build well or not our defense, because he has serious quality in his hands. Too much agressivity and the lack of a sweeper-ish guy can be a problem to solve, it's true, but I think their individual quality will compliment eventual mistakes from the other partner. Plus, they aren't exactly dumb CBs, so I guess they can reach a way to understand each other on the pitch and don't get caught easily and childishly.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Anyways, from what I've seen of Alves he is closer to Legro than to Chiellini. He is just as dirty or "physical" as Chiellini but is less athletic/calmer and plays the ball better. He's worse 1 on 1 but is a tighter marker I find.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Once Buffon regains his sharpness and confidence, and Chiellini starts to lose that constant fear that crept up his spine every game he played last season alongside Grosso, and whoever plays right centre back becomes confident of having a proper Rb next to him...i think our defence will be fine. Chiellini CAN organize, so can Buffon. So can Alvez. It only takes one of them to have responsibility for making sure everyone is doing their jobs, marking, covering, taking a man at corners, covering the front post, looking for runners from midfield etc etctetct. as someone else mentioned above, the vast majority of this organization is done by Conte.

Alvez and chiellini together, with a healthy, match sharp buffon behind them, will be extremely solid. Perhaps the strongest back trio in the league.Potentially...(of course!)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
what i'd like to know is, is alves another bonehead like bonucci and chiellini? or is he more of a organiser and slightly more elegant. From the little ive seen of him suggests that its possibly not the latter
He's more of a bonehead but a good bonehead at that. Great in the air, very aggressive and athletic and captained a few teams if I'm not mistaken. I personally think he'll be a decent transfer but I was hoping for Alex who is more technically gifted than people give him credit for or maybe Coates.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
the last world cup winning italy had no organizer, yet they conceded the least on the history of wc winners (even more so if you recall that the 2 goals were from an own goal and a dubious penalty)...

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
He's more of a bonehead but a good bonehead at that. Great in the air, very aggressive and athletic and captained a few teams if I'm not mistaken. I personally think he'll be a decent transfer but I was hoping for Alex who is more technically gifted than people give him credit for or maybe Coates.
Juve didn't want to pay 10mil for Alex because of his physical condition and Injury history.
Lugano was rejected by Conte.
So we went for Alves, the defender Conte wants :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)