british rock music vs american rock music (10 Viewers)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
i had associated the whole rock and roll culture with the US when i was younger,but as i kept on listening to music,i was surprised to learn that when you list out the biggest names rock music has seen since its introduction,the majority of them have belonged to the british.

i think most people would know where the biggest musical acts in history are from,but for the people who do not know the origions of musicians in question,ill just make a brief list of the more well known bands(in no particular order).

BRITISH

led zeppelin
black sabbath
queen
the beatles
pink floyd
the rolling stones
oasis
def leppard
blur
the clash
deep purple
genesis
U2
the verve
eric clapton
iron maiden
uriah heep
dire straits
police
the who
the eagles
whitesnake
YES
radiohead
The Alan Parsons Project

US

kiss
guns n roses
aerosmith
alice cooper
elvis presley
bon jovi
motley crue
van halen
nirvana
pearl jam
alice in chains
soundgarden
the doors
jimi hendrix
metallica
meatloaf
stone temple pilots
poison
tool
w.a.s.p
skidrow
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
the ramones
red hot chilli peppers
extreme
Foreigner
Faith No More

p.s. ac/dc are australian.

i might have missed out on some big names.anyway,which side do you people prefer?

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

as a fan of the rock from 60's, 70's there isn't much of a debate for me actually. that was the most fruitful era of rock music ever and it was ALL british, apart from the king of course.

that usa list looks silly compaired to the british one imo. though there are some great bands and artisits there as well.

Juve Bella

Jul 21, 2006
well i like both the americans and the british but the americans scream alot in their songs and that's what i like :p most of the british use soft rock music like embrace ,athlete and keane they're great with it

but most of my favorite songs are from american rock bands so i think they are the best :)

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    i think in terms of showmanship,the americans probably beat the british.in terms of the content of the music,the british probably beat the americans.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I don't understand the generalizing, each band has their charachter regardless on where they come from. There are similar bands fromboth countries and different bands from within the same country.

I was never a fan of generalizing and categorizing, this thread is not for me.

Rock band racists :p

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    your opinion.

i think that the element of socially and politically conscious music has been more present in british bands than in american bands.there is a whole host of british bands like pink floyd,the clash,the pistols,u2 etc that made music based on socio-political themes.the american side of rock music has been more focused on the sex,drugs and rock n roll thing imo.i cant think of too many american bands that made serious socially or politically concious music.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    ive always prefered american rock, ive found it that touch heavier than the english rock, especially of late, which i like, i mean recently there has been a growth spurt of english rock bands, but still it wud never beat those heavier american rock gods.

Jan 7, 2004
    salman said:
    your opinion.

i think that the element of socially and politically conscious music has been more present in british bands than in american bands.there is a whole host of british bands like pink floyd,the clash,the pistols,u2 etc that made music based on socio-political themes.the american side of rock music has been more focused on the sex,drugs and rock n roll thing imo.i cant think of too many american bands that made serious socially or politically concious music.
    ever hear of the doors?

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    salman said:
    your opinion.

Isn't the purpose of the thread to express our opinions? I don't know, maybe you meant we should express what we think based on YOUR opinion. Either way the thread is silly.

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #20
    Don Bes said:
    ever hear of the doors?
    yes.but they're one of the few socially or politicaly conscious bands out there.i never said that the US doesnt have its share of such bands.but they probably get outnumbered by british bands that make music along the same themes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)