British Cup on the way? (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From the BBC:-

British Cup moves a step closer

Carling is confident a British Cup competition involving the League Cup winners in England and Scotland will be up and running by the end of the current season.

And Carling chief Mark Hunter told BBC Scotland: "Ideally, it would kick off at the end of this season.

"We are pretty close to 2004 seeing the start of the Carling British Supercup."

Carling sponsors Scotland's two richest clubs, Celtic and Rangers, has backed England's top flight in the past and has put its name to the country's League Cup competition.

Now Carling's parent company, Coors, hopes such influence can overcome resistance by some English clubs to the idea of a competition involving their Scottish rivals.

A British Cup has previously been viewed with suspicion by England's top sides, who fear it would be a backdoor way of easing Celtic and Rangers into the Premier League.

But Hunter has been heartened by subsequent reaction in England.

"Discussions are coming to a conclusion and we're just waiting for a few other people to dot some i's and cross some t's," he said.

The stumbling block could be finding a date for the match, which could alternate between the two nations with the inaugural event at Hampden Park.

The date of 25 May has been pencilled in, although that is a day before the Champions League final.

A discussion document by England's Football League suggested the winners could receive £450,000, with £300,000 going to the runners-up.

And both the Football League and the Premier League have written to English clubs outlining the proposal for their consideration.

A spokesman said: "The Football League is constantly seeking ways to enhance and add value to its competitions.

"But, until any plans have been fully considered and agreed by all the relevant parties, it would be inappropriate to comment."

Celtic travel to Edinburgh to face Hibernian in the CIS Insurance Cup quarter-final on Thursday - and qualification for a British Cup showpiece would be added incentive.

Scottish Football League secretary Peter Donald added: "We regard it as a positive proposal which may offer further incentive for teams to participate in the CIS Cup and win it."

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Will this save the Leauge Cup comp's in either countries?...or a waste of time...

And does this happen on continental Europe?....German v Dutch for example?

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    I would prefer the champs playing too, but I guess we can't always get what we want:D

With the Leugue cups in both countries now loosing appeal to the big guns, maybe this is just what these ailing comp's need.

I quite fancy watching this match...if it goes OK, maybe the Home Internationals could make a come back, although I don't think the English Clubs or NT really need the hassle

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    would be kind of cool.............but I wonder which side would win :rolleyes: at least for the next 3 or 4 years.........

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    And does this happen on continental Europe?....German v Dutch for example?
    German-Dutch? Not a very good suggestion... ;)

No, but the Dutch and Belgian FA are working on a "Benelux FA cup" that should replace the national FA cups. There's rumours that this cup is merely the beginning of a Benelux football merger.

I'd welcome that but find it hard to believe at this point. We'll see I suppose.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.

At this point, it's an economical union but they're working on a political, social and military union as well. A federation, if you will.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    I have now completely lost interest in this topic.
    League Cups....bah humbug...stupid comps anyway

Nothing to do with Celtic being kicked out of it tonight..... or anything like that....... so there:(

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    Celtic were eliminated? Ajax too, yesterday. At the hands of NAC Breda for crying out loud :stress:

Yup...Celtic out. They just don't give enough respect to this cup.
    They fielded a team with five first team players out and a few just coming back from injury.

What about Ajax...what happened?...and does your cup have a place in the uefa cup up for grabs? The Scottish League Cup doesn't:confused:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Yeah, the winner directly qualifies for the UEFAcup. And Ajax just underestimated NAC. Stupid thing to do ... really, REALLY stupid. It may be just another crap Dutch team but underestimation never resulted into victory as far as I know.

The Scottish league cup doesn't have any UEFAcup place as reward? What do you get? Only the trophy?

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    The Scottish league cup doesn't have any UEFAcup place as reward? What do you get? Only the trophy?

Yup. Up to about five years ago it got the winner into the uefa cup, but the powers at be decided that only league positions and Scottish FA Cup should merit entry to europe...all you get is the trophy.

Sep 28, 2002
    i never understood why some countries have two cup competitions, league cup and federation cup. federation cup is more respectable and clubs, especially bigger ones pay more attention to it. as far as i'm concerned, league cup is just another way for small clubs to get some silverware. therefore it is quite just that winner of this does not get a direct place in europe.

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    Well, here goes....

League Cup...open only to those clubs in the top leagues...SPL, Div 1, Div 2, & Div 3....controlled by Scottish Football League

Scottish Cup...open to all football teams in the country...amatuers, juniors, semi pro's , etc. Bigger clubs come in at the later stages...controlled by Scottish Football Association

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)